PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Buffer Talk with Bob Eichelberg from Flex Tools

Pages : [1] 2

Mike Phillips
07-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Rotary Buffer Talk with Bob Eichelberg from Flex Tools (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/38118-rotary-buffer-talk-bob-eichelberg-flex-tools.html)

Bob Eichelberg, the President of Flex Power Tools North America, stopped by Autogeek today for a meeting and after his meeting I asked him if he had some time to talk shop about rotary buffers and he politely said "yes"

Yesterday I had all the rotary buffers out to show comparative size for this thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/37831-bumblebee-testing-out-new-dewalt-dwp849x.html)...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/797/RotaryBuffersSizes02.jpg

So while all the rotary buffers were still out we spent some time talking about some of the differences between Flex power tools and the others you see on the work bench.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/797/mikeandBobrbs01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/797/mikeandBobrbs02.jpg

One of the things we did was one-by-one, turn each rotary buffer on, set the RPM to the lowest setting and then listen to each one as it was running.

Bob pointed out the lack of grinding noise with the Flex PE14, so I asked him why the difference?

He said the noise comes from the gears as they mesh together while the tool is running. The gears used in Flex power tools, (all their tools), are each hand ground by machine and then heat treated to strict tolerances. These extra steps,

Reduce noise so the tool runs quieter
Reduce wear-n-tear for increased working life

He also pointed out that Flex Polishers are designed and engineered specifically for automotive paint polishing instead of using a Global Manufacturing Process, which means the tools are designed for multiple applications, such as,

Steel grinding, sanding and cutting
Concrete grinding and cutting
Polishing paint

The Global Manufacturing Process is a one-size fits all approach so that one tool design can be marketed into multiple industries.

Bob said this is key difference that separates Flex Power Tools from others plus all Flex power tools are designed and manufactured in Germany with a 90 year reputation of German engineering quality.

I also asked him about using the PE14 in the same manner that a person would use a full-size rotary buffer, that is with a full size wool pad doing heavy cutting all day long and he said "yes".

Thought I would share our shop talk from today with all my forum friends and to be fair and balanced, anytime a representative, or even the President of any of the other companies for the tools we carry wants to stop by and talk shop the door is always open.

:buffing:

Meghan
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Bob is a great guy, was nice meeting with him. He is always full of great polisher knowledge!

LegacyGT
07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the post Mike. I used the PE14 for about 4 hours to jewel out my paint on 600 rpm and after that experience a lot of your points make a great deal of sense. I'll also share that I had zero issues with heat, even at that slow speed and extended use, it ran very cool. Such a pleasant tool to use.

grantm
07-06-2011, 01:14 PM
One of the reasons that I went with a Festool 150 FEQ instead of the Flex is the 3 year warranty on the Festool. I know Flex upped their warranty to 2 years, but is there any reason why they didn't go with the Festool matching 3 years?

Mike Phillips
07-06-2011, 01:34 PM
One of the reasons that I went with a Festool 150 FEQ instead of the Flex is the 3 year warranty on the Festool. I know Flex upped their warranty to 2 years, but is there any reason why they didn't go with the Festool matching 3 years?

I called Bob and read him your post word for word, here's what he said,

It's mandated in Europe that all tools come with a 3 year warranty.

He went on to say that to be honest, for all practical reasons a hard working detailer or someone working in a body shop for a living can wear out a tool in a year or two, they will have gotten their money's worth. Sounds right, sounds honest.

The important thing is you got the tool you wanted.

How's that for getting an answer ASAP on any discussion forum?

:)

LegacyGT
07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
How's that for getting an answer ASAP on any discussion forum?

I'm impressed :bowdown:

BobbyG
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
One of the things we did was one-by-one, turn each rotary buffer on, set the RPM to the lowest setting and then listen to each one as it was running.

Bob pointed out the lack of grinding noise with the Flex PE14, so I asked him why the difference?

He said the noise comes from the gears as they mesh together while the tool is running. The gears used in Flex power tools, (all their tools), are each hand ground by machine and then heat treated to strict tolerances. These extra steps,

Reduce noise so the tool runs quieter
Reduce wear-n-tear for increased working life

:buffing:

Mike,

I suspect that the Flex PE-14 was designed with Helical Gearing vs Spur or Bevel designs commonly found in other designs.

Helical gear is a cylindrical shaped gear with helicoid teeth. Helical gears operate with less noise and vibration than spur gears. At any time, the load on helical gears is distributed over several teeth, resulting in reduced wear and noise.

grantm
07-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Wow Mike, I didn't expect a response to my question for at least a few days. Thank you for going to the source for an answer so quickly. It sounds very honest and the part about a hard working detailer wearing out a product is what I realistically expected. I didn't know about the European mandate part though.

Even Snap-On will only warranty their cordless tools for 1 year, so the fact that Flex is confident enough to offer 2 years is impressive in my book.

Porsche Pilot
07-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Bob is a class act and I really enjoyed meeting him at Detail Fest. I think he was wearing a Rolex so from all of us that have purchased a Flex...glad we could get you that watch!

Seriously great company Flex is and their products are top notch!! Thanks for all you do Bob.

C. Charles Hahn
07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Mike,

I suspect that the Flex PE-14 was designed with Helical Gearing vs Spur or Bevel designs commonly found in other designs.

Helical gear is a cylindrical shaped gear with helicoid teeth. Helical gears operate with less noise and vibration than spur gears. At any time, the load on helical gears is distributed over several teeth, resulting in reduced wear and noise.

Sounds plausible... I think the 3403 is probably the same in terms of that aspect of its construction. It's extremely smooth and quiet as well (the motor itself is loud, but the drive mechanism itself is pretty near silent).

Setec Astronomy
07-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Mike, the other Flex that you have lined up is the 3403, correct, and not the "big" Flex rotary? I had kind of presumed the PE14 would replace the 3403 eventually, but apparently not (I'm guessing because of the lower price point).

Mike Phillips
07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Mike, the other Flex that you have lined up is the 3403, correct, and not the "big" Flex rotary? I had kind of presumed the PE14 would replace the 3403 eventually, but apparently not (I'm guessing because of the lower price point).

I"m not sure which direction Flex is going with their power tools as far as the 3403.

I'm confident we'll get new updates at SEMA this year. Looking forward to it already.

James K
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
While I don't have one of those new fancy flex a ma bobs, I do have a flex rotary. It's the LK603VVB. I am very impressed with the quality of the product.

Flannigan
07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Out of curiosity does anyone know why they put the RPM control on the side of the handle on the Flex, but on the back of the Festool? I don't know if it's just me, but I find it very awkward and uncomfortable to adjust the speed of the flex while buffing, but it's quite easy on the festool. Just wondering.

CEE DOG
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Cool side by side and interesting read Mike! Thank you :xyxthumbs: