PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted: Trim Restoration Testing

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

rwright
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm looking for 5-10 people with faded exterior plastic trim to participate in a little testing.

You will receive:

2oz of "cleaner" that can be used alone or topped with a sealant
1oz of sealant (going to try a new sealant)
1 cotton terry towel
General directions

You must provide before, 50/50, and after pictures and document your testing weekly for at least 1 month. While I experienced zero staining of the cleaner on the plastic, you must be willing to accept the possibility of it happening. So far I have seen 4 months of durability through 24/7 outside exposure and touchless car washes.

*Please note - This is not the next big "thing", just an idea that I had that worked for me and I wanted to see if it works for other people. It may take about 2 weeks to receive the products, unlike the 4 months to receive the free samples I made a post about previously :laughing:.

ShaunD
07-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I would love to join the test panel. I know two vehicles with great test panels. A 2000 Jeep GC that is about 1/3 plastic cladding and I have been trying Black Wow on it to bring it back to life. On a smaller level, I just met a guy with a Mustang that has a very faded plastic cowl that he wants me to bring back to life for him. So let me know if I qualify to test the mystery sealant.
Thanks. :)

rwright
07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I would love to join the test panel. I know two vehicles with great test panels. A 2000 Jeep GC that is about 1/3 plastic cladding and I have been trying Black Wow on it to bring it back to life. On a smaller level, I just met a guy with a Mustang that has a very faded plastic cowl that he wants me to bring back to life for him. So let me know if I qualify to test the mystery sealant.
Thanks. :)

The Mustang will be best in this situation due to the size. I will include extra cleaner for you. The mystery product is the cleaner, the sealant will be the new Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant :). In my testing I used Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus.

IOMCAMARO
07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I have a 2003 Ford Escape that belongs to my sister. It has been washed once since she got it. She always said the rain washes it... Now that she has seen how clean my car is. She has asked me to detail it for her. Her wiper cowl and trim around her windows are faded bad since they have never been treated.

rwright
07-06-2011, 12:13 PM
To make this easier, take pictures upon initial application and at 1 month. Anything in between is optional.

Sent using Tapatalk

Y2KSVT
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I'd be happy to do this testing. I have an '04 Mazda 6 that is in need of treatment on the cowl, as well as my wife's '06 Hyundai Elantra. They are both garaged regularly, but driven daily.

Mark

SpoiledMan
07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I have a 2008 Odyssey lower cowl that would be a good recipient.

tag4car
07-06-2011, 12:51 PM
I've got a 97 mustang that is about to get cleaned up, I was planning on using a trim dye but if I can be of help, Awesome

pixelmonkey
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
take your pick, but i think the 01 nissan with lots of faded plastic would be a great candidate!

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

FinraExam
07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
I have a 2002 Oddyssey that has plenty of areas that can be restored, and an acura tl with some issues on the door panel trim

Sinbad
07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I have a 98 Dodge Ram Sport that has a severly faded top bumper trim cover. I think most of them are that way. My truck has probably spent most of it's life outside due to the fading. It usually stays in the garage, but is now outside due to the race car taking the spot in the garage. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks

Kaleb G.
07-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I have an '04 f150 that has severely faded bed caps. Its outside 24/7.

I was considering repainting them anyway, so the staining warning is fine with me.

D_Nyholm
07-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Let me know if you'd be interested in my wifes Mini Cooper S. I've used everything from black wow to tire shine on them (so far DP Tire Gel seems to last the longest) and currently have UTTG on the shelf waiting to be put on. I'd be happy to leave it on the shelf longer or put it on 1/2 for a contrast. Let me know what you think.

rwright
07-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I have 10 responses here, should have enough sealant for 3-4 more people. Thanks to everyone. :)

I will be sending a foam brush too.

losbird
07-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I have a 97 Toyota T100, I can do the test on the trim, as I just ordered the UTTG and will do the comparison for you.