PDA

View Full Version : New to the site

Pages : [1] 2

Liane
01-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi. My name is Liane. I have never been interested in taking good care of my car in all of my 58 years. However, I have a new 2007 Honda Accord V-6. Black Midnite Pearl with Ivory leather interior, sattelite radio and lots of bells and whistles. I'm in love! I clean my car EVERY nite. Just ordered Pinnacle souveran wax, Wolfgang deep Gloss Sealant, and DP 4 in 1 rinseless wash & shine. My husband thinks I'm nuts so PLEASE don't tell him I paid $80 for wax! I am going to wash the car (I'm in CT and it's cold) then I am going to use the sealant, cure it, and then put on the wax. Then what? What do I do next time around? Have been reading the forum and have gotten great information. Thank you for any help you can give a beginner. :p

Meghan
01-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Welcome, and to answer your question, just keep apply Souveran!:awesome:

nick19
01-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Congrats on the purchase! I have yet to get a jar myself. Anyways..

You will see the finest results when the paint is clean and polished. I would recommend picking up a PC7424 and some pads the next time around. I personally went with the Edge 2k, not the wave. These are some of the finest pads I've used. And being double sided is just an added bonus.

You could..

Wash
Clay (can pick up locally at any PepBoys, Discount Auto, etc. Meg's "smooth clay kit", Mothers, Clay Magic etc.)
WGDGS (let cure for 24 hours)
Wax (wait at LEAST 12 hours before another application, and then another 12 hours for every layer)

There's a ton of items that will help you polish your paint and remove any imperfections, like swirls, some scratches etc. If you end up purchasing some polish, you will need to repeat applying the WGDGS and wax after your done polishing. If you go with polishing some day, it would look similar to this, although it can vary. Claying the car is up to you, and is recommended. Or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, or P21S will suffice in removing contamination. DP Finishing Glaze also works here (a nice 2-in-1 product) too.
XMT #1,#2,#3/PB SSR 1,2,2.5/DP Super Swirl Remover, Mild Swirl Remover/Meg's #83,#80,#82

You probably want to go with a finishing glaze; DP, WG, Pinnacle, XMT, are all fine choices.
WGDGS {(Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant)(let cure for 24 hours)}
Apply a layer of durable wax, (Collinite) #845, #885; Meg's #26, PB. Let cure for 24 hours
Apply a later of Souveran or your "final" wax of choice. You can further add an addition layer if you wish.
After washes, you can use a "wax booster" or "quick detail" to bring back that ultimate shine. Pinnacle, DP, WG, DG Aqua Wax; ClearKote QS (limited time only), Meg's Last Touch, 4*, PB etc.I hope this helps shine some light down on the subject. Good luck, and welcome aboard! Im the MANIf you have any additional questions, we're always here for help. You can also use the "Search" function at the top to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Take care..

-Nick :cheers:
5-Star Auto Detailing

abrcrombe
01-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Nick pretty much said it all... congrats and post some pics of that Accord with the Souveran on it!

Jimmie
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Congratulations on your new Honda. Nick set up a really good game plan for you. I would second the "clay" recommendation.

ryandamartini
01-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Just make sure to wash and dry it correctly. Doing this coupled with regular waxing will keep your car looking new and not need polishing.

I recommend the Schmitt wash mit and Cobra Guzzler for drying.

To prolong the life of the Souveran, you might want to look into Pinnacle Crystal Mist. It will keep a shine inbetween cleanings and put oils back into the wax. :)

FloridaNative
01-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the forums Liane. It's nice to see another lady join our group. Congratulations on the new car. You have some very fine products there. I too suggest claying before appying your sealant and wax. Even though your car is new, it will probably have embedded contaminants in the clear coat from it's shipping to the US and eventually to your dealership. Enjoy your new ride and that new car smell. We are all here to help you so feel free to ask any question you have. :)

Truls
01-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Just make sure to wash and dry it correctly. Doing this coupled with regular waxing will keep your car looking new and not need polishing.

To prolong the life of the Souveran, you might want to look into Pinnacle Crystal Mist. It will keep a shine inbetween cleanings and put oils back into the wax. :)

:iagree:

And welcome to AGF, where road to gloss and shine is

Nica
01-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Welcome Liane, you got great stuff for your first order. It took me about two months of reading and then I placed my first order. I would second what FloridaNative and NIck19 mentioned about claying and process, makes a huge difference. My wife could not believe I spent $80 on wax too, but then she forgot about it...well at least I think she did. Your going to find that detailing is addicting and fun. Would really like to see pictures of your new baby, post them up when you start detailing it we all love to see pictures.

Liane
01-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Wow! What quick response. Thank you all. Great information. I printed it and am going to keep a detailing folder. Happy driving. Liane. ps. will definitely post some pics.

YankeeFan
01-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Congrats on the purchase! I have yet to get a jar myself. Anyways..

You will see the finest results when the paint is clean and polished. I would recommend picking up a PC7424 and some pads the next time around. I personally went with the Edge 2k, not the wave. These are some of the finest pads I've used. And being double sided is just an added bonus.

You could..

Wash
Clay (can pick up locally at any PepBoys, Discount Auto, etc. Meg's "smooth clay kit", Mothers, Clay Magic etc.)
WGDGS (let cure for 24 hours)
Wax (wait at LEAST 12 hours before another application, and then another 12 hours for every layer)

There's a ton of items that will help you polish your paint and remove any imperfections, like swirls, some scratches etc. If you end up purchasing some polish, you will need to repeat applying the WGDGS and wax after your done polishing. If you go with polishing some day, it would look similar to this, although it can vary. Claying the car is up to you, and is recommended. Or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, or P21S will suffice in removing contamination. DP Finishing Glaze also works here (a nice 2-in-1 product) too.

XMT #1,#2,#3/PB SSR 1,2,2.5/DP Super Swirl Remover, Mild Swirl Remover/Meg's #83,#80,#82
You probably want to go with a finishing glaze; DP, WG, Pinnacle, XMT, are all fine choices.
WGDGS {(Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant)(let cure for 24 hours)}
Apply a layer of durable wax, (Collinite) #845, #885; Meg's #26, PB. Let cure for 24 hours
Apply a later of Souveran or your "final" wax of choice. You can further add an addition layer if you wish.
After washes, you can use a "wax booster" or "quick detail" to bring back that ultimate shine. Pinnacle, DP, WG, DG Aqua Wax; ClearKote QS (limited time only), Meg's Last Touch, 4*, PB etc.I hope this helps shine some light down on the subject. Good luck, and welcome aboard! Im the MANIf you have any additional questions, we're always here for help. You can also use the "Search" function at the top to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Take care..

5-Star Auto Detailing

This is the one area that confuses me. You have a finishing glaze then a sealant. I thought the choice is either/or........to use a sealant then wax, or use a glaze then wax. I thought sealants cannot bond to glazes.

Howard

nick19
01-22-2007, 06:57 PM
This is the one area that confuses me. You have a finishing glaze then a sealant. I thought the choice is either/or........to use a sealant then wax, or use a glaze then wax. I thought sealants cannot bond to glazes.

Howard

It is recommended, depending on the polishing you're doing, to follow up with a finishing glaze to restore some of the gloss/wetness and refreash the paint with much needed oils.

It's pretty much like this..

If you go out "tanning" without any suntan lotion, and get burnt, you are SUPPOSED to follow up with some nice soothing aloe vera; this applies to polished paint. It is usually ends up fairly rough, and the finishing glaze, preps it for the sealant and wax.

DP Finishing Glaze ($9.99 @ AG, big 32oz bottle) can also be used BEFORE polishing to remove contaiminents. I can't wait to use this 2-in-1 product.

Hope this helps..

Take car Howard.

5-Star Auto Detailing

PS. Go Cubbies!!! Wooooo! hehe

nick19
01-22-2007, 07:10 PM

I will second that! Take a loot at AG's Foam Gun! I LOVE mine, and currently am using #901 by DG. Smells like Cherry's! I liked the sample of DP Extreme Foam, but didn't go that way. I regret doing that, and will add yet another soap to my lineup.

With proper washing, you can minimize your chance of any dirt particles staying on your wash mitt, and inducing more swirls/scratches. And thus, you don't need to polish often, which can take hours, depending on the severity of them.

Grit Guards are also something to look into. I have one, and I'm not to fond of it, and I never find all the dirt in the bottom of the bucket, but I still use it to brush off any dirt that caught onto the mitt. For $10 or whatever they are now, its worth it IMO. Maybe my bucket has a problem, I don't know. Do you find the dirt in the bottom of the wash bucket when you're done washing, or is it just my horrible washing techniques?

I am now trying 1 oz of NXT to wash the car, let the soap sit for a minute or two, and wash off with the hose. Then follow up with 1oz of #901, and repeat process. Then that way my mitt never touches the paint. Since NXT has a bit more cleaning power, I let it lift off most of the dirt, and followed with #901 to remove anything left. I came up with this idea a few days ago, and tried it on my moms some-what dirty car. It's been a week and a half almost, daily driver, paint was some-what dirty, and the end result was completely clean and slick. I was surprised, and very happy with the end result. I will continue doing this for our cars, and the neighbors. I would not do this on a very dirty car. But for weekly washes, where the car doesn't usually get too dirty, this could save me and my car a few swirls.

5-Star Auto Detailing

YankeeFan
01-22-2007, 07:59 PM
It is recommended, depending on the polishing you're doing, to follow up with a finishing glaze to restore some of the gloss/wetness and refreash the paint with much needed oils.

It's pretty much like this..

If you go out "tanning" without any suntan lotion, and get burnt, you are SUPPOSED to follow up with some nice soothing aloe vera; this applies to polished paint. It is usually ends up fairly rough, and the finishing glaze, preps it for the sealant and wax.

DP Finishing Glaze ($9.99 @ AG, big 32oz bottle) can also be used BEFORE polishing to remove contaiminents. I can't wait to use this 2-in-1 product.

Hope this helps..

Take car Howard.

5-Star Auto Detailing

PS. Go Cubbies!!! Wooooo! hehe

Thanks for the quick reply....so........is a finishing glaze any different than a glaze? Are there different levels of glazes, that can and can't be used before a sealant?

Howard

PS.....actually I wish the Cubs a good season, thought they way, way overspent this off season on many B-line players. I was hoping Lou would take over the Yanks after Torre's contract ends this season, guess not. He'll certainly add some spark to the team!!

nick19
01-22-2007, 08:08 PM
To my knowledge, it is all different re-wording. A glaze provides essential oils, improves clarity, restores shine, and eliminates any haze.

Which glaze were you curious about? I am going to try Meg's #3, and probably WG Finishing glaze too. Meg's #3 looks VERY good, and at a cheap price. For $10, I can't go wrong.

All again to my knowledge, they can be used before and after a cured sealant, and even over cured wax. Although when applied over a wax, it won't last but a wash or two, but IMO better than a "QD" product. Glazes can also be applied by hand, and may take a few more minutes to apply a product and achieve higher gloss/reflection/wetness. It's all up to you. There are 100,001 combinations in this hobby.

Good luck..

5-Star Auto Detailing