PDA

View Full Version : OMG, orange peel and a half.

Pages : [1] 2

bambo2888
01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
so I got the car back today from the stupid accident I was in... the hood and fender have VERY bad orange peel and the paint is defintely a shade off. I'm sorry I dont have any pictures, but my question is... will anyone be at Detail Fest that can help me with this. I was reading that only wet sanding will solve this problem, and even that wont cure me. Anyone have an idea?

chu
01-22-2007, 10:07 AM
The first thing I would do is go back to that body shop and talk to them about it.

ryandamartini
01-22-2007, 10:07 AM
The second I would have saw it, I would have pointed it out. You paid them to paint your car and painting it correctly, they seemed to have missed a step somewhere.

Call the owner / head manager and talk straight to him / her. Avoid the customer service desk.

Nica
01-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Yup, I totally agree send it back and have them fix it properly.

Question though, what is this "orange peel"?? I've heard of it so much but I haven't been able to find much info on it.

ryandamartini
01-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Yup, I totally agree send it back and have them fix it properly.

Question though, what is this "orange peel"?? I've heard of it so much but I haven't been able to find much info on it.
Its a combination of too much paint and not enough prep work before clear goes on. And doing so, gives the look of an orange peel [texture].

bambo2888
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
The first thing I would do is go back to that body shop and talk to them about it.

There in itself lies the problem. The car was painted by a guy my gradfather is friends with across the state (Punta Gorda). I live in Boca Raton and I just got the car back last night and drove home (Boca) this morning. Either way, the guy is a friend of the family and I feel awkward going and telling him there is a problem with the job he did.

Surfer
01-22-2007, 12:11 PM
There in itself lies the problem. The car was painted by a guy my gradfather is friends with across the state (Punta Gorda). I live in Boca Raton and I just got the car back last night and drove home (Boca) this morning. Either way, the guy is a friend of the family and I feel awkward going and telling him there is a problem with the job he did.Punta Gorda, that must have bee nice little drive :D

Yeh that sucks, sorry to hear.

bambo2888
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Punta Gorda, that must have bee nice little drive :D

Yeh that sucks, sorry to hear.

yea it was real nice at 6 in the morning with just increasing traffic through naples and sawgrass at 8

Nica
01-22-2007, 02:26 PM
A yes the friend of the family...I totally agree with you hard to complain. Well then, now I'm really curious as to what the more experianced members here will recommend.

abrcrombe
01-22-2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.ronjoseph.com/expert_witness/images/auto_paint_orange_peel_lg.jpg

Hopefully yours is not that bad!!

Nica
01-22-2007, 02:37 PM

That's orange peal? Wow looks terrible, I can see why they say to wet sand. Hey Toto is the man for that, he's posted pitures of him wet sanding. Looking forward to see what Toto will say.

chu
01-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I would start with 1500 paper, firm hand pressure, and sand in one direction. Next, polish it all back with a light to medium compound...such as 3M rubbing coumpound or OP compound. You wouldn't need anything heavier. Be very careful how much you sand so you dont remove all of the clear. Also keept the area very wet. Others might have better advice, so wait unti you hear some more replies before you do this.

abrcrombe
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
If you don't know what you are doing.. DON'T ATTEMPT THIS... YOU CAN CAUSE A LOT OF DAMAGE!!

FloridaNative
01-22-2007, 04:11 PM

Oh my gosh!! That's the worst orange peel I've ever seen! :eek: Ay bambo, I feel your pain. It's hard when it's a friend that does it for you. Will he fix it for you?

Surfer
01-22-2007, 04:13 PM

Don't listen to him, its not that bad, thats really a pic of the rare white oranges we grow in FL:D