PDA

View Full Version : What would you do for a 1st detail on a brand new cadillac cts v coupe

unclestu
07-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a new Cadillac CTS V coupe in silver. We all know not to expect much from the dealer when it comes to detailing the car prior to delivery. They just basically wash and glaze the exterior. To what extent would you all recommend that I go in doing the 1st detail on the car. The car has a very nice shine and the water beads up well, I see no swirls though it is a light silver car. Would it be acceptable to just wash, wax and seal or should I strip off all that was done at the dealer and start a new? I have the complete Wolfgang line of products including Fuzion and 3.0 dgps.
I will post up some before and after shots when I begin.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Stu

eanelson
07-05-2011, 09:38 AM
I know you don't have it but if I were you I would opti-coat it. It's a breeze to work with and (based on all the reviews around here) it works wonders for cleaning/maintainence. That will be my new routine for whenver I get a new car. I used it for the first time this weekend and wish I had done it a long time ago. I'm pretty new to detailing however, so YMMV.

edit for spelling

RTexasF
07-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Regardless of how nice it looks I would wash and clay prior to anything else. My neighbor has a new silver CTS coupe which I clayed the next day after she brought it home. It made quite the difference and removed the gunk that you just couldn't see on the paint. Not horrible mind you but needed. I did a machine polish with Menzerna finishing polish (forgotten the correct name sorry) then Wolfgang 3.0. The improvement over what appeared to be an already pristine finish was phenomenal. DO wash clay & polish prior to the LSP. Awesome car by the way, congratulations.

Mike Phillips
07-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Since it's new, might as well get the finish to where you want it to be and know for sure it's exactly how you want it.

Start here... after washing or wiping clean...

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

:)

Flash Gordon
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Are you going to be hand washing the car?

How often do you plan on waxing?

What kinda condition is the paint in? (sunlight/halogens)

How picky are you about having a "perfect finish" ?

Great car and the perfect color IMO...

unclestu
07-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Regardless of how nice it looks I would wash and clay prior to anything else. My neighbor has a new silver CTS coupe which I clayed the next day after she brought it home. It made quite the difference and removed the gunk that you just couldn't see on the paint. Not horrible mind you but needed. I did a machine polish with Menzerna finishing polish (forgotten the correct name sorry) then Wolfgang 3.0. The improvement over what appeared to be an already pristine finish was phenomenal. DO wash clay & polish prior to the LSP. Awesome car by the way, congratulations.

Thanks Rick,
I sort of new the answerer all along but it always sounds better to hear it from another person. I remember when I bought the 911 turbo home and I was new to detailing. There was a fellow that went by the name of Asphalt Rocket on the forum and he pushed me past the fear associated with machine polishing a car for the first time not to mention that car being a $150,000 Porsche. What was I thinking LOL Anyway he recommended the Menzerna 85RD and I know what you are saying. It brought the paint job on the car to another level that I never would have imagined. I guess I am going to crank up the Flex and get busy :)
Thanks for the feedback
Stu

rcomito
07-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Best of luck with your new car Stu.

I'm sure you will kick it up a couple of notches.

Rick

Jeff120
07-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Lots of new cars have rail dust on them from being shipped, so claying is in order. Plus it will remove whatever crap the dealer put on it. Id clay, very light polish, then seal or wax, or both! Enjoy that sweet ride!