PDA

View Full Version : What to use on black paint at a car show?

Pages : [1] 2 3

cranny
07-04-2011, 11:43 PM
A few of the cars shows I attend are about a 20-30 minute drive. By the time I get there, I'll have a light coating of dust on the car.

I was using Lucas Slick Mist, which says it can be applied in direct sunlight but it seems to leave a lot of streaks. But on a hot summer day in the sun, on hot black paint, I'm not sure if it's the products fault.

Any suggestions on a quick way to clean off the dust? Would FK425 work any better? I've been wanting to try it but haven't yet.

AeroCleanse
07-04-2011, 11:57 PM
If its light dust then you want a quick detailer. Meguiars makes one, sure there are loads of others.

cranny
07-05-2011, 12:31 AM
I've tried the Meguiars in the past and it just about dries up and evaporates as soon as it hits hot black body panels. Granted this is a car that sits in the hot summer sun for 6 hours or more. You could fry an egg on the hood, but I wouldn't try it.

Dust and fingerprints always seem to find their way onto my car.

I'm looking for something a little more durable.

nothelle
07-05-2011, 12:31 AM
FK425 streaks for me under the sun, I usually carry around Meguiars Last Touch diluted 1:1 with distilled water for cleaning, streak free but still have good lubrication

Dr Oldz
07-05-2011, 01:50 AM
California Car Duster for hot dusty paint!

ROMEO
07-05-2011, 02:06 AM
I have had good results with this in direct sun light...

Poorboy’s World Quick Detailer PLUS QD+ (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-quick-detailer-plus.html)

Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe Waterless Wash (http://www.autogeek.net/pbsaw16.html)

Poorboy’s World Spray & Gloss (http://www.autogeek.net/pbsg16.html)

And I also like the California duster...

BillE
07-05-2011, 06:56 AM

:iagree:

Bill

jkk7479
07-05-2011, 06:59 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing! :iagree:

cutter
07-05-2011, 07:45 AM

:iagree:....I guess Great Minds think alike:dblthumb2:!!!!

Flannigan
07-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Prima Slick is a GREAT QD and I have never had a problem with it streaking even in the sun.

AeroCleanse
07-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Optimum No Rinse would work too, you can pre mix it and have a spray bottle ready.

StoneRaizer
07-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Optimum No Rinse would work too, you can pre mix it and have a spray bottle ready.

I disagree with ONR. I've used it QD strength as a clay lube on a black Cobalt in direct sunlight and it evaporated as soon as it hit the paint. While I can't recommend what to use, I can tell you that ONR as a QD isn't the best choice on hot black paint.

AeroCleanse
07-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I disagree with ONR. I've used it QD strength as a clay lube on a black Cobalt in direct sunlight and it evaporated as soon as it hit the paint. While I can't recommend what to use, I can tell you that ONR as a QD isn't the best choice on hot black paint.

Use it at wash strength.

cranny
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I know some of you have mentioned using the California Duster, but on a black or dark colored car it just makes a mess on a hot surface. The wax in the duster fibers will melt off and make a mess all over your paint. I've already learned the hard way.

I'll have to try some of the other QD's you guys suggested. Thanks.

Dr Oldz
07-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I know some of you have mentioned using the California Duster, but on a black or dark colored car it just makes a mess on a hot surface. The wax in the dusted fibers will melt off and make a mess all over your paint. I've already learned the hard way.

I'll have to try some of the other QD's you guys suggested. Thanks.

I disagree. Try letting your CCD sit on newspaper overnight and it will solve this problem! :) :xyxthumbs: