PDA

View Full Version : When nothing goes right

Pages : [1] 2

cwpcasey
07-04-2011, 11:56 AM
What do you guys normally do when nothing seems to go right when your doing a car? Im very new at this and when I do a car its all good or really bad and Im just getting frustrated with this.

embolism
07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
what part is frustrating you?

inside?
outside?

working in the sun is very hard. You need the proper products and good technique. Even then, it's not easy.

cwpcasey
07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Polishing...

embolism
07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
what kind of polisher? size/type of pads?
kind of car you are trying to polish?

I've heard ppl say that what works one day may not work the next. I haven't done many cars but Menz power finish has worked on all the cars I've done so far. Just have to change the pad to adjust the aggressiveness...

dougaross
07-04-2011, 12:13 PM
What type car, color paint, condition of paint, what are you trying to accomplish. What equipment/products do you have? Pictures are always helpful.

cwpcasey
07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
I have both a Flex and PC, all kinds of LC pads from Orange to Gold, M105, M205, SIP, Power Finish. The car I was doing was a black STI and it was pretty bad to begin with so Im not sure if its more me than the car, but with that being said this isnt the first time Ive had trouble with these products. Im just tired of buying new products and them being the same as others I already have. I guess I should stop watching youtube. Everyone else makes it seem so damn easy.

James K
07-04-2011, 12:18 PM
As others have said, what works on one, does not work on all. Detailing is all about finding the right combinations of products. Give us more details.

cwpcasey
07-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Ive tried almost every technique with priming pads it just seems the products flash to quick or I dont get the correction Im looking for. Another thing is I find it more easy to work with my PC than the Flex.

embolism
07-04-2011, 12:27 PM
must be the heat/humidity...

Jhaight11
07-04-2011, 12:31 PM
must be the heat/humidity...
:iagree: if the products are flashing too quickly. i highly recommend poorboys products. i went to their detail weekend and their products really work. used ssr 2.5 on a black focus in direct sunlight with the car being blazing hot, did not flash or dry.

cwpcasey
07-04-2011, 12:32 PM
It is pretty freaking hot in FL right now. I need a nice indoor A/C warehouse like Autogeek has....

LegacyGT
07-04-2011, 12:34 PM
It happens, sometimes it is the conditions, sometimes the paint. Try not to beat yourself up over it, have a few beers and remember tomorrow is going to be a new day. You may want to do some product trades with others to try out some other options before buying an entire bottle of something.

cwpcasey
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys

cwpcasey
07-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Another thing. How will heat affect products? Do they break down over time? Say I store my stuff in my garage how will that affect them?

dougaross
07-04-2011, 01:36 PM
make sure your pads are clean, try working a smaller area

Here's a few ideas from Mike Phillips. Just check that you are not making some obvious procedural errors
Here's a list of the most common problems

Trying to work too large of an area at one time.
Move the polisher too fast over the surface.
Too low of speed setting for removing swirls.
Too little pressure on the head of the unit.
Too much pressure on the head of the unit so the pad quits rotating.
Not keeping the pad flat while working your product.
Too much product, too little product.
Not cleaning the pad often enough.