PDA

View Full Version : I need help getting water etchings out

05RLS2
07-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Prior to my car getting washed the other day, its been two weeks since the last time I washed it. During that time it has been exposed to days with storms and hotter days, plus the fact that it is sitting outside 24/7 at the moment. There's been times where the rain water has dried onto it, yeah I know stupid for not wiping it off, but the entire car was covered in it and it was dirty looking anyways. I never had any problem with it before causing any problems, so I just held off. So after washing the car I see water etchings on the hood that look to be like a type 2, nowhere else on the car though. The last time I waxed I used Collinite 845 w polycharger CH2 applied twice, but it's getting due again. I'd have thought that this should have at least provided some barrier. I don't get it, there were other car parked next to me that never get waxed or lucky to be waxed once or twice a year, yet none of them got these marks on them at all (maybe I should follow suit.) I tried wiping them with vinegar, using a liquid paint cleaner P21s and Poorboys non abrasive, none of them got them out.

I spent a good half of a day yesterday using the following with my standard PC 7424, non XP, trying to get these out

Danase Swirl Abolisher II w 6.5" Orange LC CCS pad
Danase Swirl Abolisher I w 6.5" White LC CCS pad

I did 4-5 passes, 2-3 of those passes on speed 6 and putting pressure on the machine and pad. Afterwards, I did a few IPA wipedowns so I thought all was fine, then after the car being outside hours later they showed back up :mad:, maybe not as bad as before. I am getting frustrated big time over this, almost to the point of feeling like trading it in on a beige or silver car that doesn't show everything like a dark vehicle.

Maybe I should have done more passes on speed 6, but I was afraid of causing any damage or burning the finish. At this point, I guess it doesn't matter becuase it already looks like crap. Can newer GM finishes handle more than this, or was this considered to be a real agressive combination? What do I do next? I don't really want to go too agressive if I don't have to. What do you all suggest I do from here to get these out?

Mike Phillips
07-04-2011, 09:55 AM
That's a bummer...

If the spots or rings you're seeing are i fact imprint etchings then the only way to remove them is by abrading the surface, no if, ands and buts about it.

If they're any type of topical contaminants then heres a few ideas you can try...

Tips for removing Type I Water Spots (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/36306-tips-removing-type-i-water-spots.html)

But from your description it really sounds like light or shallow Type II imprint etchings.

Are you maintaining pad rotation with the Danase Swirl Abolisher II w 6.5" Orange LC CCS pad?

If so then if a few passes removed some of the etchings then more passes should remover more of the etchings... you just have to keep working at it till the surface is flat again.

:(

05RLS2
07-04-2011, 11:03 AM
The pad was stil maintaining rotation under pressure. Maybe I could have gotten by with adding a little more pressure. Should I try this polish combination again with 5.5" pads? Or will going from a 6.5" to 5.5" LC CCS pads with these polishes make much of a difference? I only have experince using th 6.5" pads.

If so, can the 5.5" pads run at speed 6 safely for multiple passes, or should they run at a lower speed setting? Can I use the orginal PC 7424 couterweight, or does another need to be used when going to a smaller pad?

I want to go with a sure way of getting these out at next attempt. Almost as frsutrating as seeing these marks still on here, is the fact that I did IPA wipedowns and didn't see anything at the time. Is there anything that I can use that is readily available in stores that works better than IPA and is safe when wiping down?