PDA

View Full Version : Burning through paint? what is this?

Pages : [1] 2

rider9195
07-03-2011, 06:55 PM
While polishing today after doing 6 section passes I lifted up the pad to see red residue on the pad. I was using a green polishing pad and the car is red. So I know that is one sign you have burned through the paint. But I know I did not burn through it. Seeing that the finish of the paint was perfectly clear. The car is a 2008 GMC Acadia. First time ever being polished too. Also I was using a PC 7424XP.
Feed back please

Shane731
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Kind of odd on a newer car like that, but chances are the paint you were working on was single stage (base coat only, no clear coat). Is the whole car like that or just one section? If it is just one section, that area may have been repainted. But yeah, what you are describing is typical of single stage paints. Nothing to get excited about.

tuscarora dave
07-03-2011, 07:04 PM
A lot of cars nowadays have tinted clear. Is it possible that is the case? Sometimes the vehicle gets damaged in transit from the factory to the dealership and the dealership does in house paint repairs. Is it possible that this is the case? Maybe the thing was repainted all together at one time. Is it possible that this is the case?

rider9195
07-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I thought the single stage paints were only on older vehicles. I know it hasn't been repainted though. I'm not worried since I'm not using any compounds. Just polishes. Thanks for the help though!

rider9195
07-03-2011, 07:05 PM
A lot of cars nowadays have tinted clear. Is it possible that is the case? Sometimes the vehicle gets damaged in transit from the factory to the dealership and the dealership does in house paint repairs. Is it possible that this is the case? Maybe the thing was repainted all together at one time. Is it possible that this is the case?

That might be. But like I said, I know it hasn't been repainted. Lol.

FUNX650
07-03-2011, 07:16 PM
While polishing today after doing 6 section passes I lifted up the pad to see red residue on the pad. I was using a green polishing pad and the car is red. So I know that is one sign you have burned through the paint. But I know I did not burn through it. Seeing that the finish of the paint was perfectly clear. The car is a 2008 GMC Acadia. First time ever being polished too. Also I was using a PC 7424XP.
Feed back please

Look in the glove box for the paint code. It should be:

BC/CC ....followed by a U. If so, IMO, you should have a better handle on what may have happened.

If not, it's single stage...but I doubt that for an '08 Acadia.

Bob

rider9195
07-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Look in the glove box for the paint code. It should be:

BC/CC followed by a U. If so, IMO, you should have a better handle on what may have happened.

If not, it's single stage...but I doubt that for an '08 Acadia.

Bob

Just checked, and it did say BC/CC. Thanks Bob!

FUNX650
07-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Just checked, and it did say BC/CC. Thanks Bob!

Any time. :)

In your opinion, after your diagnosis/observation, what do you believe has happened? I hope what ever it is, it's nothing serious.

Good luck!

Bob

rider9195
07-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Any time. :)

In your opinion, after your diagnosis/observation, what do you believe has happened? I hope what ever it is, it's nothing serious.

Good luck!

Bob

I have only done the hood, so I know what pads and products I need to use to get it perfect. But I think Dave might be right about the tinted clear coat. I'm not using any compounds so I don't have to worry as much.

James K
07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
With a green pad and just polish on a PC it sounds a lot like tinted clear. how red is it? Can you post a pic of the pad?

93fox
07-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Tinted clears are colors that require tri-coats. Meaning the first would be the base color, then tinted clear, then clear alone. I dont believe any car manufacture dosent apply just clear alone over the tinted clear.

rider9195
07-03-2011, 08:04 PM
With a green pad and just polish on a PC it sounds a lot like tinted clear. how red is it? Can you post a pic of the pad?

I agree. The whole face of the pad was red. But it did clean up very good using my pad washer. So it must be a tinted clear. But I will post a picture tomorrow of the pad once I get polishing.

rider9195
07-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Tinted clears are colors that require tri-coats. Meaning the first would be the base color, then tinted clear, then clear alone. I dont believe any car manufacture dosent apply just clear alone over the tinted clear.

Very interesting information. Learned some new things today!

Setec Astronomy
07-03-2011, 08:36 PM

That's not right, GM has been doing tinted clears on reds as the topcoat, this came up years ago on another forum. Cadillac called it Radiant Red or something like that, and it's referred to as a tintcoat. I know you are a painter and you don't do it this way, but the way it's done at the factory is different than aftermarket.

embolism
07-03-2011, 08:41 PM
his post got me a little worried too b/c I have tinted clear and got black on my pad after my first polishing with a white LC and power finish.

the tinted clear has got to be the outermost layer or that means I've gone through the untinted clear into my tinted!