PDA

View Full Version : which QD???

Pages : [1] 2

Ron Atchison
07-02-2011, 09:23 PM
What's the opinion on which QD to buy? I have narrowed it down to these. Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer ,Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate and last but not too sure because it's a bit on the expensive side compared to the others. Ultima Detail Spray Plus. I'm thinking more along the lines of the concentrates for the most bang for the buck.

Dr Oldz
07-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Ultima concentrate makes 5 and a half gallons! It is the best IMO!

Ron Atchison
07-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I guess I should have added that I have been a user of Meg QD for years now so the switch is a bit of a challenge for me. I would like something at least as good.

flyinion
07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I can't offer you a real world opinion yet since I haven't tried them yet, but I just ordered the Optimum OID and ONR on Friday to try out. I had posted this same question last week, if you look you'll find it as a 6 page thread of suggestions (needless to say I was still lost). Maybe you'll find some useful suggestions in there. I took the suggestions there along with some other threads I'd read around the same time (since I was sort of looking for a rinseless wash/clay lube/etc. product as well) and settled on trying the Optimum for now.

EDIT: Here's the thread........ http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37523-what-quick-detailer-should-i-buy.html

petermk
07-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Fk425

daves120
07-02-2011, 11:18 PM
I use the Optimum instant detailer and gloss enhancer on my truck at least once a week. IMO it leaves the surface slick and is very easy to apply and buff. As a matter of fact, the truck has not received a regular wash since I started using this stuff. Also, usually follow it with their spray wax and the surface is so slick the bugs slide right off.

Can't speak for the Ultima, just don't see the need in trying it when I have found such a great product in Optimum.

daves120
07-02-2011, 11:20 PM
If you would like to try a sample of the Optimum, PM me your address and I will gladly send you some.

Ron Atchison
07-02-2011, 11:59 PM
I can't offer you a real world opinion yet since I haven't tried them yet, but I just ordered the Optimum OID and ONR on Friday to try out. I had posted this same question last week, if you look you'll find it as a 6 page thread of suggestions (needless to say I was still lost). Maybe you'll find some useful suggestions in there. I took the suggestions there along with some other threads I'd read around the same time (since I was sort of looking for a rinseless wash/clay lube/etc. product as well) and settled on trying the Optimum for now.

EDIT: Here's the thread........ http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37523-what-quick-detailer-should-i-buy.html

Yes I saw the post and read all 6 pages of it. The only thing was it started to be a post of what do you like best, which is why I narrowed it down to the ones I was interestin from the replies to your post. I guess I'm probably still asking the same question as you just in a different way.

daves120 that is a very nice offer and I will certainly take you up on it.

mg6045
07-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Optimum Instant Detailer ! This stuff has more slickness and durability than most boutique wax's. no joke. can be used on a wet or dry car and is amazing in all categories.

I get 4 weeks of slickness and water beading from it. (car is garaged though , lol :), but still, I dont see similar slickness from any other product)

notable mentions are -

-Wolfgang Instant detail spritz - (too expensive to recommend. behaves totally different that Optimum, but is VERY easy to use and does NOT streak even if you tried) (leaves sharp reflections like a sealant, which is why i love it on light colored cars)

-Pinnacle crystal mist - (again, too expensive)(behave similar to Optimum but is lower in every category)

-Griots Garage Speed Shine - (great price, and works well. but more of a QD without wax protection and durability)

- Prima Slick - good stuff, not enough experience to recommend though.

Also, to note, I buy the Optimum Instant Detailer by the 17oz bottle. This stuff goes a LONG way. 2 squirts per panel. The 9.99$ bottle should last you atleast 2 months for 1 car (8 wipedowns after washing).

Ron Atchison
07-03-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm not so sure I really care about the durability aspect of it as the car never even sees rain. It's more for wiping down after a drive or when it gets dusty from the garage door being open all day for the kids to play in the driveway. It's a black Z4 with either very soft or very hard paint that seems to scratch just looking at it. I'm leaning towards hard as I've got a few rids that WGTSR 3.0 with a orange CCS pad wouldn't remove. So I seem to be going through QD at an alarming rate trying keeping it dust free so as to not get micro marring from the dust, which is why I was leaning towards the concentrates.

PA DETAILER
07-03-2011, 08:07 AM
i love DP FINAL GLOSS DETAILER. just did a wipedown this morning. never fails me. never streaks. and the added carnuba in it is a good thing. if i want more bling/protection....
1. wolfgang deep gloss spritz sealant.
2. dodo juice tropical red mist detailer.

the above two are really sealants tho.

silverfox
07-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Ultima waterless concentrate for everyday or weekly use and CG hybrid V7 for extra sealant protection and simply put...a killer deep gloss wet shine on dark paint.

mg6045
07-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm not so sure I really care about the durability aspect of it as the car never even sees rain. It's more for wiping down after a drive or when it gets dusty from the garage door being open all day for the kids to play in the driveway. It's a black Z4 with either very soft or very hard paint that seems to scratch just looking at it. I'm leaning towards hard as I've got a few rids that WGTSR 3.0 with a orange CCS pad wouldn't remove. So I seem to be going through QD at an alarming rate trying keeping it dust free so as to not get micro marring from the dust, which is why I was leaning towards the concentrates.

oh damn. Than i for sure done recommend any QD or even waterless wash. I never wipe down dusty cars, ESPECIALLY a black car with soft paint ! A rinseless product is the way to go.

I ALWAYS wait until the weekend to wash the car. The only time I use a QD to wipe down the car if when the car sits overnight and I need to continue my polishing or whatever else I was doing.

For me, if the car gets driven (even 1 mile) the paint does NOT get touched unless its a 2 bucket wash or a rinseless wash with ONR.

If you are looking to wipe the car down after being driven (something I do not do), than you dont want a QD. You want a rinseless or Ultima waterless wash. Ultima waterless wash plus and OPtimum ONR are the best products for tha.

Not to be a jerk but you are likely going to scratch the car up badly (especially if it has soft paint like you said), and its going to be noticeable (cause its black) if you use a QD to wipe the car down after it has been driven.

Some people can call my crazy of tell me I'm wrong but my paint does not get touched after the car has been driven unless there is atleast 1 full 5 gallon bucket of water involved in the process.

rfinkle2
07-03-2011, 09:02 AM
I have soft black paint also, and have started using a duster that I purchased from Bed Bath and beyond...

It works excellent, and is ultra soft.

I believe the material is lambs wool (more hairy than anything).

nothelle
07-04-2011, 01:34 AM
OID for deeper, slick finish
FK425 for the slickest finish
Megs Last Touch for its versatility