PDA

View Full Version : Few Flex 3401 Questions/Comments

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-02-2011, 01:07 PM
So i finally tried out my new flex 3401 last night. I gotta say...that is a MACHINE. It really feels like it's doing some work that's for sure...and after wiping the compound away it proved to be doing just that :).

I started out with some 7" Meguiars soft buff 2.0 cutting pads...with some Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover. It didn't do a BAD job...but the 7" pad was a little difficult to control..especially on 'curvy' areas...where it had a tendency to try to walk on me if the pad wasn't perfectly centered.

When i got to the trunk..I was having a hard time getting swirls at the back 2" of the trunk. The pad was too big to really just put the edge of it on there...so i tried rubbing them out by hand...that didn't work. So finally i changed up to a 5.5" Cyan Hydro pad. I primed it with the KB method and then put it on sort of a 'tilt' with heavy pressure but knocked the speed down to about 4.5. I did a couple passes and it came out swirl free when i was done.

So my question is...what size pads do you guys prefer with the Flex..and also what type. After the results i got with the 5.5 HT pad...im considering buying a few more...i was very happy.

Secondly, what speed do you usually work at. 6 really cranks...5 SEEMED to be appropriate and i went to 4.5 for the edges.

Lastly...how do YOU guys deal with edges. This is a question I'd really like to hear. What do you do along taped rubber trim etc. Do you just tilt the polisher so the edge really hits right along the plastic line...or do you do it by hand....or do you do something else?

Do you find 4" necessary at all with the flex or can you pretty much do the whole car with the 5.5"? The reason i ask is because i have a 3.5" BP for my Griots...but not for the Flex. I'm undecided about whether to spend the $25 for the Flex 3.5" BP or to just use my Griots for those tight areas.

So...thoughts anyone :)?

RTexasF
07-02-2011, 01:35 PM
I believe the Flex was designed for 6.5" pads initially. It is so strong that I see no advantage in going to smaller plate/pads since you already have the Griots set up that way. Now my usage is limited but I've yet to come across a situation where the highest speed was needed. I tilt the polisher slightly along edges since it doesn't affect the rotation of the pad.

Other folks with more time in grade may have different ways to tackle it and different thoughts on pad sizes.

dougaross
07-02-2011, 01:56 PM
So my question is...what size pads do you guys prefer with the Flex..and also what type. After the results i got with the 5.5 HT pad...im considering buying a few more...i was very happy.

Secondly, what speed do you usually work at. 6 really cranks...5 SEEMED to be appropriate and i went to 4.5 for the edges.

Lastly...how do YOU guys deal with edges. This is a question I'd really like to hear. What do you do along taped rubber trim etc. Do you just tilt the polisher so the edge really hits right along the plastic line...or do you do it by hand....or do you do something else?

Do you find 4" necessary at all with the flex or can you pretty much do the whole car with the 5.5"? The reason i ask is because i have a 3.5" BP for my Griots...but not for the Flex. I'm undecided about whether to spend the $25 for the Flex 3.5" BP or to just use my Griots for those tight areas.

So...thoughts anyone :)?

I get good results with both flat and HT pads. I use 6.5 pads for large flat areas and 5.5" for the remainder of the car, except when I need smaller and then I use my custom 3 7/8" bp with 4" pads. An idea I copied from CEE DOG. Flex does not have 3.5" bp only 4 3/8"

It is not a big deal to cut a bp down using a band saw, fence, and jig.

LegacyGT
07-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I get good results with both flat and HT pads. I use 6.5 pads for large flat areas and 5.5" for the remainder of the car

:iagree:

I have also been using CCS pads with no problems (6.5''). I have never tried a 7'' on the 3401.

For some of the really tight areas, I have been either tilting or getting out the 4'' on the rotary.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I believe the Flex was designed for 6.5" pads initially. It is so strong that I see no advantage in going to smaller plate/pads since you already have the Griots set up that way. Now my usage is limited but I've yet to come across a situation where the highest speed was needed. I tilt the polisher slightly along edges since it doesn't affect the rotation of the pad.

Other folks with more time in grade may have different ways to tackle it and different thoughts on pad sizes.

Yeah i was thinking along the lines of 6" pads being the biggest id need...but since i only have 5.5 and 7 i just downed to the 5.5 and got much better results and much more control. Its too bad meguiars didn't make a 5.5 or 6" softbuff 2.0 rather than only the 7"...but i guess thats why there are HT pads :)..my next order of them are going to be of the low profile though rather than the thicker ones.

Also that is one of my favorite features so far...the fact that it has forced rotation so that i can tilt the pad and get the edges much easier. The PC and Griots would always slow down a lot...with the flex being able to dial down the speed...and still get rotation...really helped me be able to keep control of the machine but still get great cut.

I get good results with both flat and HT pads. I use 6.5 pads for large flat areas and 5.5" for the remainder of the car, except when I need smaller and then I use my custom 3 7/8" bp with 4" pads. An idea I copied from CEE DOG. Flex does not have 3.5" bp only 4 3/8"

It is not a big deal to cut a bp down using a band saw, fence, and jig.

Hmmm im short one band saw for that job. Flats are my other preferred pads...neve could get into the CCS. I might end up with just tilting the Flex for edges and then using 3" Megs MF pads or 4" pads for the small areas with my griots.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-02-2011, 02:26 PM
:iagree:

I have also been using CCS pads with no problems (6.5''). I have never tried a 7'' on the 3401.

For some of the really tight areas, I have been either tilting or getting out the 4'' on the rotary.

rotary is my next purchase...damn dewalt had to come out with a new one so now i have to wait and see if thats the one i want or not lol...i was gonna get the makita...but we'll see. Is it difficult using the 4" with a rotary....id be scared of having all that power on a 4" pad....what type of 4" pads do you prefer?