PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Top Wolfgang 3.0 with Fuzion?

ShineTimeDetail
07-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I detailed my Grand Marquis the other day and started with claying it--Which I clayed it in Jan and the bar looked like it didn't pick a thing up:xyxthumbs: Then I used a CG AIO product, washed it with soap and an APC because the AIO has a wax and I didn't want that to affect the look of my sealant. After I washed it again I applied CG EZ-Creme and then applied Wolfgang 3.0. The car looked freakin amazing!!:dblthumb2: I could drive down the road and clearly read any sign through the hood of my car lol It is a champagne color so its not as reflective as a dark color. So I decided I would top it off with Wolfgang Fuzion a few days later and it doesn't seem to have that crystal clear look the 3.0 gives. That's the reason I love the 3.0 is because the paint just looks incredibly crystal clear.

Anyone feel the same about topping 3.0 with Fuzion? I'm half tempted to redo it with just the glaze and 3.0.

mg6045
07-03-2011, 08:14 AM
What you are noticing is correct. Sometimes too many products dont give the best result.

I did the same thing you did recently. I applied CG ezcreme glaze, than Blackfire All finish paint protection (sealant), than I applied Blackfire Midnight sun (there carnuba wax/sealant hybrid). All these products are very similar to the Wolfgang line. I waited one night before going from the sealant to the wax.

Once I was done I felt that the wax drowned out the look of the sealant. Very much like your described. The sharp crisp reflections of the sealant were softened up quite a bit with a warmer glow.

This should have been expected though and it makes sense. Carnuba wax gives a warm soft glow, and most sealants do the opposite. So depending on the color of your car, you may have not liked the final result.

If you have a white or light colored car you will most likely prefer the sealant look over the carnuba.

after applying this 3 step polymer glaze/sealant/wax process I also noticed that my car was pretty much drowned in oil's that were noticably on the surface as some time went by. To solve this I realized that its a good idea to wash the car after the sealant cures (12 hours) and before applying the wax. I think this might help dramatically to avoid the drowned out look.

Since this experience I have decided to stop layering sealants with a wax. I now use one or the other. I notice that Fusion by itself on the paint produces crip reflections unlike when I top it over a sealnt.

If i'm gonna top a sealant, I now wait 1 week until I need to wash the car, than after that I apply wax.

hope that helps. The bottom line is that its pretty easy to overdue it.

loudog2
07-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I have done it a lot in the past. Fuzion is a hybrid sealant/wax combo. They both compliment each other well.

00celica
07-03-2011, 09:58 AM
From my observations, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 gives a shine that is comparable with Wolfgang Fuzion. I'm in PA, so I wax in the spring and summer and put a sealant on in the winter (and I always apply sealant to my family members cars when they approach me to detail).

Fuzion on its own looks amazing, as well as the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Because Fuzion is carnuba blended with synthetic polymers, it has the properties of a paint sealant. So, I would classify these as "on their own" products. I would bet that any other sealant/wax combo from other brands can be layered (ex: Surf City Garage Nano Seal/Glaze system + Barrier Reef Carnuba).

I do layer Fuzion and put another coat on my vehicles every two weeks or so. After every wash, I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant to maintain. Awesome shine.

ShineTimeDetail
07-03-2011, 10:05 AM
The reason I did it was because I did an exterior detail on my Mon dark green 2010 Escape. I sealed it with a sealant the topped it with a carnuba wax...it looked amazing. Maybe it was the dark color....I guess ill be redoing all of this soon.

00celica
07-03-2011, 10:24 AM
The reason I did it was because I did an exterior detail on my Mon dark green 2010 Escape. I sealed it with a sealant the topped it with a carnuba wax...it looked amazing. Maybe it was the dark color....I guess ill be redoing all of this soon.

Did you use Wolfgang products?

ShineTimeDetail
07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
No, no wolfgang products at all.

00celica
07-03-2011, 10:28 AM

No, no wolfgang products at all.

Yeah, Wolfgang is on its own in terms of layering. Every NON-Wolfgang product I use, I layer.

nothelle
07-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Did that, i never actually like the result of this combo. Each has a strong point on its own, but when combining they don't complain each other nor filling the gap that the other left out.

As other mentioned, sealant is reflective, slick and when you top up nuba you'll likely to see the nuba character more dominant on top, therefore my take is to apply each on its own, since the last LSP that you apply will be more dominant and clouding the layer beneath it.

Also Fuzion is supposed to be a hybrid nuba/sealant isn't it? Application of fuzion itself is already like layering a bit of sealant onto the paint.

BobbyG
07-04-2011, 07:30 AM
While I personally haven't I would think this would be a natural combination....:props:

mg6045
07-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Did that, i never actually like the result of this combo. Each has a strong point on its own, but when combining they don't complain each other nor filling the gap that the other left out.

As other mentioned, sealant is reflective, slick and when you top up nuba you'll likely to see the nuba character more dominant on top, therefore my take is to apply each on its own, since the last LSP that you apply will be more dominant and clouding the layer beneath it.

Also Fuzion is supposed to be a hybrid nuba/sealant isn't it? Application of fuzion itself is already like layering a bit of sealant onto the paint.

I tried expressing this, but I think your post hit it on the head. I couldnt have said it better.

Its kind of weird as with the Wolfgang products (for me) there sealant has the look of a carnuba wax, and there fuzion wax has sharp reflections like a traditional sealant.

btw, i love both products on there own. The wolfgang line is my personal favorite. expensive, but I prefer to use them on my personal vehicle. I also really really like Menzerna's powerlock for its speedy application and removal. That stuff only needs about 5 minutes to setup on a hot day.

FUNX650
07-04-2011, 08:49 AM

:iagree:

One of my favorite Barry Meguiar quotes regarding carnubas is:

"In the old days, there was a great reliance on carnauba wax, which was the hardest natural wax available. Fifty years later we have synthetic waxes, polymers and resins that have far more resilience than carnauba and enhance the gloss. Interestingly, carnauba (which people still want to see in a product) actually grays the surface of a vehicle."

I don't know if he still feels this way or not.

Also, I remember not too long ago, that the subject of wax build-up through layering was a hot topic. Now it seems layering is the hot topic with little or no regard to the build-up issue.

Just something else that I get to think about. :)

Bob

nothelle
07-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Each has a strong point on its own, but when combining they don't complain each other nor filling the gap that the other left out.

Now why did i wrote complain?lol.. it was supposed to be compliment

Well anyway, layering sealant/nuba is personal opinion, i only managed to achieve a good sealant/nuba combo in a competitor's brand which i won't mention here, but that's just because its sealant is just plain on its own...

But like mike said find what you like and use it often...

lkotsios
07-06-2011, 06:59 AM
I have also tried this combo om my red vette, wolfgang sealant and fuzion look amazing each on their own but combined not so good.

Bunky
07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I did it just recently. The WGDPS make the flakes pop like a rainbow but a week later applied the Fuzion and it seemed to tame the flakes ..still popping but not the rainbow effect on Ford Tuxedo Black Metallic.