PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DWP849X vs. Flex PE14-2-150

WRAPT C5Z06
07-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Other than the Flex being 0.9 pounds lighter and $164 more, is there much of a difference?

ROMEO
07-02-2011, 04:44 AM
There was a conversation about this a couple days ago (kind of) HERE. (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37819-flex-pe150-new-dewalt-dw489x.html)

But I have been wondering the same since I'm thinking about a rotary.

Garry Dean
07-02-2011, 06:51 AM
I have been debating the same question. I think Ive settled on the Dewalt

Joe@Superior Shine
07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
One is yellow, one is red............ OK I got nothing - LOL

I get my DeWalt X next week. I already have the PE-14. I'll compare the two and share with AG.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-02-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm about to go for a rotary soon as well. I think the time has come for me to learn the art of working with one. I was set on getting the makita..and the Dewalt had to go and make things all difficult and put out the X *sigh*...decisions decisions

What size pads do you guys find best with the rotary?

Joe@Superior Shine
07-02-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm about to go for a rotary soon as well. I think the time has come for me to learn the art of working with one. I was set on getting the makita..and the Dewalt had to go and make things all difficult and put out the X *sigh*...decisions decisions

What size pads do you guys find best with the rotary?

Nothing larger than 6 inch.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Nothing larger than 6 inch.
With the new Dewalt X, it's not recommended to use an 8" wool pad? Is the new Dewalt as powerful as the previous version?

Joe@Superior Shine
07-02-2011, 01:46 PM
With the new Dewalt X, it's not recommended to use an 8" wool pad? Is the new Dewalt as powerful as the previous version?

Yes your correct. I love my W5000 form Meguiars. How I forgot I don't know. I wouldn't use a foam pad larger than 6. Thanks for catching that.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Yes your correct. I love my W5000 form Meguiars. How I forgot I don't know. I wouldn't use a foam pad larger than 6. Thanks for catching that.
:props:

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-02-2011, 01:51 PM

In response to both of these...that is pretty much what i had in mind but wanted the feedback of someone who has USED a rotary.

And if i understand correctly, from the reading ive done....that you'd use a wool (like the W5000) to level the paint of REALLY bad swirls using a compound (say 105) then you'd follow up with a cutting pad ALSO on the rotary and STILL using compound to remove the haze/lighter swirls left over by the wool...like say a HT Cyan 5.5" pad...and then finish up with a polishing pad and polish via rotary also (or would you switch up to a DA/Flex?) and then wax.

Also..after you compound with the FOAM pad...do you usually end up with 100% swirl free finish, or are there still very light swirls you see that the polishing step has to take out. Most posts i see the finish looks perfect after compounding, but i want to know what to expect (with a rotary i mean) and what type of swirls (if any) would be considered acceptable and left for the polishing step to take out.

C. Charles Hahn
07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Is the new Dewalt as powerful as the previous version?

More powerful, according to the specs. The old one had an 8A motor, new one has a 12A motor.