PDA

View Full Version : How do I learn to use the Flex?

shoeless89
07-01-2011, 11:24 PM
I bought my PC last year and I LOVE it. But from what I've read about the Flex its a great product. I would like to continue to improve my skill and learn to use new products. BUT I also have read a lot about the dangers of using a buffer as powerful as a Flex or rotary buffers. So I guess my question is, how do I go about learning to use such tools safely and effectively without damaging my cars finish in the learning process?:thankyousign:

C. Charles Hahn
07-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Join us for Detailing 101: Saturday Open Class (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-class-101.html)

Elite Pro
07-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Practice on junk panels

shoeless89
07-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I would love to go to the classes but I live in Cincinnati and I'm a poor college student lol Where do I get junk panels?

Elite Pro
07-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Pull-A-Part, Junk Yard, or some have had success from going to body shops and asking them

truckbutt
07-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Maybe it's the way the handles are perfectly placed on the Flex. I started using the Flex 3401 with a little experience on the Meguiars DA. It just seems natural. Just work with, and not against the contour of the surface you are on. I agree with the poster who suggested using an old panel. I used my 98 explorer.

shoeless89
07-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Thank you for the tips! My friends car is a peice, I'm sure I can practice on it. The worst that can happen is I improve it lol

CEE DOG
07-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Don't worry, practice makes perfect and the best thing you can do is go for it. Practice like the guys said on a junk panel and you'll feel confident in no time.

DaVinciAutoSpa
07-22-2011, 10:18 AM
You'll have the Flex mastered in 10 minutes. Don't over analyze it, jump in and do it. That's the best way to learn. Put your hesitations aside and DO IT.

Do a test panel on a friend's car.

BobbyG
07-22-2011, 10:26 AM
You'll have the Flex mastered in 10 minutes. Don't over analyze it, jump in and do it. That's the best way to learn. Put your hesitations aside and DO IT.

:iagree: :dblthumb2:

Bunky
07-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Yes, 10 min or less. When I started using a non-forced DA (have not used the GG much) you were always wondering about downward pressure, pad selection, pad spinning, but using the Flex DA you get the sensation is working as soon as you turn it on - hold it flat, work the polish and it will transition quicker so easier to notice, and get results.

The machines feels like it is working if anything due to the fact you do need to pay attention and guide it.

bottlefed02
07-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Flex was easier to learn to use then the pc. Of course I started using the pc before 5.5inch pads were popular and marking the backing plate was recommended. But still the flex is easy.

Sent from my Samsung Epic

Mike Phillips
07-22-2011, 07:32 PM

I agree.

Find a neglected car and wash it so well it looks detailed already.

The buff it out. The process of buffing it out will give you all the practice and hands-on experience you need to start learning how to use the tool efficiently.

Mastering a tool comes down to putting time in behind the tool with the trigger on...

:xyxthumbs:

Kaban
07-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I learned to use the 3401 very quickly. I had no prior knowledge of using any other type of buffer.

I currently have the 3401 and two rotaries... the rotaries will take some time to learn, but the 3401 is extremely easy.