PDA

View Full Version : How many of you do your own maintenance??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

FloridaNative
01-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I know that all of the people on this forum are crazy about keeping their cars in picture perfect condition, but what about under the hood? I'm curious how many of ya'll here do your own maintenance and repairs??

PhaRO
01-21-2007, 01:19 AM
As much as I am able to do, I do myself. Simple stuff like oil changes are easier for me to do then take the car somewhere and wait or drop it off. I have my limits on what I'll try to do though. When our Nissan needed a transmission overhaul, I took it too a family member that rebuilds them for a living. When it needed a starter and radiator I grabbed a wrench.

ltoman
01-21-2007, 01:22 AM
:) my husband does a good majority of ours.

belcherm58
01-21-2007, 03:40 AM
I do most of the work on my cars and trucks. Transmissions are about the
only thing I job out to someone else. The rest is for me to do and gives me
a great sence of security knowing who did the work and how sound the car
is mechanically.

supercharged
01-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Oil changes, air filter, interior cabin filter. Everything else - dealer.

justin_murphy
01-21-2007, 05:29 AM
I do all of my maintenance. Just did the brakes on my truck and wife's van. I've rebuilt my Civic's motor 4 times as well as the transmission once. I love doing it plus saves me so much money.

White95DodgeRam
01-21-2007, 06:33 AM
id feel a failure if i let anyone touch any of my cars .....so every nut and bolt is turned by yours truely

Jonboy
01-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Anything that needs doing to mine it's straight back to the dealers :)

Gary Sword
01-21-2007, 07:14 AM
I maintain all my cars. If if have the tools to to do I also fix any problem I can. I love cars and enjoy working on them.

trl2112
01-21-2007, 08:57 AM
I do all regular maintenance oil, air, and cabin filter. For larger jobs I do as much as I can, if time allows. Recently I had a full brake job done by a BMW indy (independent mechanic). I only go to a dealer for covered warranty work. It is cold around here and takes me awhile to get stuff done; we could not be without the car, so I took it in. Boy the products I could have bought with the money saved by doing it myself.

trhland
01-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Ive Got Pretty Good At Adding Washer Fluid!

JSR
01-21-2007, 09:43 AM
I had a number of British cars in my youth. After the fifth tranny rebuild on a GT6 I sold them all and vowed never to get under another car if at all possible. Anybody else know what a Wentworth thread is? Cosmetics only.
Besides, I own a small boat (break out another thousand) that lives in saltwater, there is ALWAYS something to fix. If you think your cars engine compartment is full, take the cover off of a modern large outboard. The Merc mechanic walks around with a laptop instead of a toolbox.

Brace1
01-21-2007, 10:21 AM
I do most maint. myself: oil, brakes, tune-ups, belts, hoses, fluids, etc. Pretty much anything that's bolt-on.

I've never done any type of tranny or engine rebuild. That would be pretty intimidating for me without someone to hold my hand thru that process. The reality of it is, even with someone to mentor me through that, I simply wouldn't have the time or inclination to do it.

pt91
01-21-2007, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=Brace1]I do most maint. myself: oil, brakes, tune-ups, belts, hoses, fluids, etc. Pretty much anything that's bolt-on.
QUOTE]

Same here.

Whitethunder46
01-21-2007, 11:21 AM
I really can't do anything on my Mustang. My car sits so low with the Saleen ground effects I can't get a jack under neat it. The only way to lift it is with a lift.

this is one reason why I'm really excited to get my Vibe. I can actually start working on my own car again, lol.