PDA

View Full Version : Clouds in my paint

myblackhatch
06-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I currently own a white 2009 honda fit that i purchased about a month ago. The car looked clean until i saw it at night under the street lights and noticed swirls and slight oxidation.

I decided to clean it up considering im going to be keeping this car for a while. Now im no stranger to detailing. I was a production detailer for 6 years at a local auto dealer. No experience with chemicals other than what we used in the shop.

I puchased a porter cable and wolfgang swirl system from AG along with a bunch of other goodies like a foam gun, grits for the bottom of my buckets. mf towels, clay, etc...
Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-swirl-remover.html)

My issue im having is after i did the full process on the car step by step with each pad the car looked great during the day. Once i got it back under the steet lights i noticed I had (hate to describe it this way) clouds. Just not nice clear reflections. No real swirls (its not 100% but white is hard to do during the day). Now my spoiler (plastic) looks nice and clear giving a perfect reflection but my hood (which i spent the most time on) roof and doors have this chemical looking cloud.

I washed, clayed, and followed the system. Put the sealer on and whiped it off right away but let the car sit overnight (12 hours) then i used a mothers carnuba wax.

I dont have a very good camera to take pictures with but im hoping someone can point out my error and get me moving in the right direction.

myblackhatch
07-01-2011, 04:07 PM
bump..

SRTSean
07-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Are you sure you fully removed the carnauba when buffing it out? Have you tried spraying it down with a quick detailer and buffing out again?

SeaJay's
07-01-2011, 04:59 PM
What mothers wax did you use? I had issues in the past with mothers wax showing up a day or two later. Basically it came down to those were areas I may have missed or didn't remove completely. This could be the issue. Try a quick detailer and see if that helps. Or even a spay wax like duragloss aquawax.

Worst case give the car a wash and stripe the lsp. Then try just the sealant and see if the clouds are still there. Really hard to give advice without seeing what your talking about.

Bunky
07-01-2011, 06:27 PM
The link in your note includes WG Deep Paint Sealant.

What products did you use in all besides the Mothers. It is fairly clear you did not remove something properly. The question is what: polish, etc.

myblackhatch
07-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies and trying to help he figure out this problem.
OK, to try and clear it up.

I used in this order

Pinnacle clay with pinnacle lube
Wolfgang swirl remover with orange ccs pad
Wolfgang glaze with white ccs pad
Wolfgang paint sealer 3.0 with blue ccs pad
Mothers CaliforniaGold Pure Carnauba Wax with a red ccs pad

All my rags are Cobra blue miracle towels.

all pads, chemicals, towels, clay, even my porter cable were all brand new.I purchased everything just for this job, except the carnauba which I had previously.

I buffed the swirl remover at 5 and did small sections removing as I finished each panel. I used the glaze at 4 and cleaned as finished. I also used the sealer at 4 and wiped off as i finished each panel. Then i let it sit overnight in the garage and used the carnuba the following morning. I know now your suposed to let the sealer sit on the paint for 30 min before removeing it (doesnt say that on the bottle in my defense.) but i dont think this would cause my problem. I also made sure to shake the bottles really well before use.

I tried to get pictures with my camera last night but because of the extreme low lighting situation and i cant seem to get my camera to focus on the defect and not the street light drowning it out.

myblackhatch
07-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Are you sure you fully removed the carnauba when buffing it out? Have you tried spraying it down with a quick detailer and buffing out again?

I made a small section on my qtr panel and washed it using some down dish soap. I was trying to strip everything off this small section. Didnt seem to change anything. i also used the wolfgang spritz spray on the same area but it did change anything.

myblackhatch
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
What mothers wax did you use? I had issues in the past with mothers wax showing up a day or two later. Basically it came down to those were areas I may have missed or didn't remove completely. This could be the issue. Try a quick detailer and see if that helps. Or even a spay wax like duragloss aquawax.

Worst case give the car a wash and stripe the lsp. Then try just the sealant and see if the clouds are still there. Really hard to give advice without seeing what your talking about.

I have a new bottle of eagle one nano spray wax that i used on the paint in the door jams and etc. I used a little on a spot but didnt change anything really.

myblackhatch
07-01-2011, 09:02 PM
I will give wolfgang products credit. It has been super hot one day and pooring down rain the next. South florida in the summer time can be brutal on a wax job and even with me trying to strip some areas of the sealent off with dawn and at one point an alcohole mix. this stuff just doesnt want to come off.

SeaJay's
07-02-2011, 07:28 AM
If dawn isn't stripping it I'd pick up some opc. Stuff is awesome and has many different uses. It's my go to apc now.

Maybe someone in your area maybe able to meet you and give their opinion.

76fj40
07-02-2011, 09:32 AM
How long did you let Wolfgang paint sealer 3.0 cure before applying the wax?

myblackhatch
07-02-2011, 12:05 PM
How long did you let Wolfgang paint sealer 3.0 cure before applying the wax?

About 12 hours

Opc huh? Ok I'll look it up. I'm going to try and strip it again and redo a small section. Maybe even hit it with some muggers 105. Just to see what that will give me.