PDA

View Full Version : Detailing With Dry Ice!??

Pages : [1] 2 3

jpegs13
06-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Very interesting. I'd be terrified. What do you guys think?

- ‪Polarjet 600 Trailer Master‬‏

UK-Matt
06-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Paul Dalton's just bought one of them, not cheap.

Best bit about that video is when he opens the door onto the machine!

cutter
06-30-2011, 06:57 AM
I agree with you John, I don't think I would want that touching any of my vehicles...Also, when he does the interior, the dirt doesn't just disappear, so what happens to it...it ends up in the cracks and the carpet....With that being said, it looks like a great way to cool down on a hot day in Alabama!!!:xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs:

Crazy Amos
06-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Very interesting. Notice how kept the jet of ice moving, probably don't want to stay in one place too long especially on the interior plastics....

I can see how it would make the job much faster.

How does it "work" though? I guess it freezes the dirt to a point of being so brittle it just flakes off the surface?

I like the idea.

sohail99
06-30-2011, 07:12 AM
ha ha yea! And he aint even like 'omg'!! :eek:

Btw the machine seems amazingly awesome and one step cleaning solution for most surfaces. I wonder how it works with dry ice for cleaning

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

reality33
06-30-2011, 07:13 AM
I really like this device and have been trying to get some info on it. Unfortunately the web page is in all German.

I sent them an e-mail and waiting a reply.

My guess is that after cleaning the interior with this, you just vacuum the carpet last.

Flash Gordon
06-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Very innovative :dblthumb2:

embolism
06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
looks like sandblasting to me.

If it doesn't cause damage to paint or trim, it would be good for exterior nooks and crannies (emblems, seals, hinges, etc) but I think it would be even easier than a tornador to force water deep behind electronics

dougaross
06-30-2011, 07:34 AM
I really like this device and have been trying to get some info on it. Unfortunately the web page is in all German.

I sent them an e-mail and waiting a reply.

My guess is that after cleaning the interior with this, you just vacuum the carpet last.

There are translators. Firefox (IMO a lot better MS Explorer) will translate pages, I am sure there translator apps floating around.

LegacyGT
06-30-2011, 07:36 AM
looks like sandblasting to me.

If it doesn't cause damage to paint or trim, it would be good for exterior nooks and crannies (emblems, seals, hinges, etc) but I think it would be even easier than a tornador to force water deep behind electronics

Looks like bead blasting / sand blasting to me too. Though since it is dry ice, it will sublimate with out ever going to a liquid phase.

I think I would have to find a resource comparing the hardness of dry ice to clear coat finishes to render an opinion. In playing around with chunks of dry ice it seems pretty hard.

fairlady350z
06-30-2011, 07:44 AM
do I sense a giveaway AG? haha seriously though, its a really cool idea. I wonder how it works....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XLNTShine
06-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Pretty neat!

This thing is just a super sized can of compressed Co2, the same thing you can find in many of the cans of keyboard duster. This think is just doing it at a higher volume. No magic here, just a blow out tool. Turn your can of keyboard duster upside down and you can see how cold it will get. Its not that bad at all. It will give you frost bite but its NO liquid nitrogen. This stuff is a -109F when in solid form and I am pretty sure the gas released during the phase change is in the -79F range.

I think this is why he keeps the gun moving, as to not cause the plastic to become brittle? Also you would be surprised at how long you would need to hold the stream in one spot to start to really drop the temperature.

We know heat causes things to expand making the removal of them faster by expanding the space between the molecules and weaken the bonds. This is why we see bubbles in water when it boils. The bond breaks and releases the gases.

I wonder how effective freezing things is as helping with removal? I was thinking the old gum removal trick with a piece of ice. It gets cold and solid and can then be removed.

embolism-- There is not WATER (H20) involved. This is Co2. It does not exist in a liquid form at room temperature. I am not sure if it is ever a liquid. Co2 is not flammable and there is nothing that should react with bare metals to cause anything to oxidize. This stream if any solids or liquid could be released would flash off in an instant.

Maybe there is a chance that the temperature drop causes moisture in the air to condense?

XLNTShine
06-30-2011, 07:49 AM
LegacyGT-- I don't think they are using the physical dry ice here. Just the gas?

embolism
06-30-2011, 07:59 AM
I just assumed sandblasting when I saw him load the machine with dry ice crushed down to sand-like consistency.

Even if it's just the gas that is used and any crystals sublimate never reaching liquid form, that doesn't mean the dirt does too so like others have asked, are you not just blowing the dirt somewhere else around the interior?

HeavyMetal
06-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Pretty neat. Dry ice blasting has become fairly common in industrial and home remediation applications. The equip is expensive so I'd expect this to be limited to higher end detailers. You can google "dry ice blasting" to find out how it works.