PDA

View Full Version : How much do you know about trainhorns?

Pages : [1] 2

carcrazed484
06-30-2011, 02:59 AM
Howdy! I'm new to the forum and looks like it's a very active site, isn't? I think I would be getting some good answers here about my query. I'm actually looking for someone who knows something about installing a train horn. I'm planning to set up one for my car. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jpegs13
06-30-2011, 06:01 AM
It would be illegal for street use. USDOT has certain guidelines and dB restrictions on vehicle "sound emission" and a train horn exceeds that.

pixelmonkey
06-30-2011, 06:41 AM
they go WOOT WOOT!?

might google "horn blasters". i know several street rod guys around that have these on their cars. might be a few more years before buying and installing them on my tinker toy.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

BobbyG
06-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Other than they were designed for trains not much at all...

nothelle
06-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Just don't honk your horn near retirement home.... Heart attacks are imminent

CrownKote
06-30-2011, 07:19 AM
It would be illegal for street use. USDOT has certain guidelines and dB restrictions on vehicle "sound emission" and a train horn exceeds that.

So... I have heard cars with dB exceeding exhaust and they don't get in trouble... I also hear train horns in the city a lot... They don't get in trouble... Maybe if you just honk at the train as it is passing? lol... I am giving you a hard time... I try to stay within the law as much a possible...

they go WOOT WOOT!?

might google "horn blasters". i know several street rod guys around that have these on their cars. might be a few more years before buying and installing them on my tinker toy.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

What kind of "tinker toy" you got?

OP What kind of vehicle are you looking at getting the horn for? And besides the novelty of having one is there any other reason you are getting one?

I know that there are air based ones (the ones that will shatter your ear drums if you let it loose when you are in the car and there are electric ones... the electric are the easiest ones to mount in your vehicle and are much quieter that the air ones...

Flash Gordon
06-30-2011, 07:19 AM
^ All I know is there awesome....and I won't one Im the MAN

s brewer
06-30-2011, 07:36 AM
train - Yahoo! Video Search (http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0oG7lL3bAxO.QcAadFXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&p=train&#37;20horn&fr2=tab-web&fryfp-t-701) here is a little something to watch about train horns..they are awesome!!

s brewer
06-30-2011, 07:38 AM
also check out Train Horns & Train Horn Kits: Loudest Horns Available (http://www.hornblasters.com) they have the "really loud" train horns

s brewer
06-30-2011, 07:46 AM
heres another video clip nathan airchime [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WceirKOQMg&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - &#x202a; Nathan AirChime K5HL Train Horn&#x202c;&rlm;[/video]

FUNX650
06-30-2011, 07:47 AM
If you've got the room for four horns with/compressor and tank set-up, I say go ahead. Most train (or for that matter...AhOOOgah) horn manufacturers usually have directions for their installs....Check their websites if no directions are included.

As the saying goes:(and this is coming from an old guy)

If you think it's too loud, your too old. :D

Have fun scaring the crap out of people. Just make sure it's not me! LOL :)

Bob

yakky
06-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Always wanted a set, so many idiots out there need a good wakeup call when driving. My favorite use would be with litterbugs.

Flash Gordon
06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Always wanted a set, so many idiots out there need a good wakeup call when driving. My favorite use would be with litterbugs.

Mine would be when passing by The Links :D

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
06-30-2011, 03:11 PM
I think its a great idea to have them and I have an electric siren that has an air horn and a PA and you bet your a** I yell at people on the phone and have used the horn more than I can even remember! It comes in handy all to often.

There are two types
With air tank
and without air tank direct drive horns

JonMiles
06-30-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm actually looking for someone who knows something about installing a train horn. I'm planning to set up one for my car. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Train horns are very easy to install in just about any vehicle. The space issue is the biggest one. Wiring and plumbing the air lines is similar to setting up a car stereo. You have a power line, switch for the solenoid, ground, and air lines from the compressor to the horns, or reserve tank to the horns depending on the type. It is a straight forward installation that almost anyone can do with basic hand tools, a drill and the correct bits. I would recommend the omega horns with viair compressor and tank. You could set it up for single outlet off a solenoid for the horns and have accessory quick connects for air accessories like tools.