PDA

View Full Version : Stupid BMW

Surfer
01-20-2007, 07:10 PM
One of the guys we know has an SMG M6 and took delivery of an E60 M5 w/ the 6 speed manual trans. Drove the other day to see how it felt, and well, felt slower for some reason compared to SMG M6/M5. Not untill you get past 100 does it start to feel like the power its putting down. Thought maybe their was a glitch or something. He just sent me a link, apparently the M5 cars with manual trans BMW has it so you cannot deactivate DSC, didn't think it made that big of a difference but boy did it, we thought something was wrong with the engine at first. Basically it causes it to feel only about as fast as the older E39 M5 till over 100, well he's pretty pissed and I'm sure a lot of new owners are going to be as well. Did some searching around and the few manual trans owners are real disappointed in the performance as it's not as fast b/c of the electronics holding it back.

If I just spent that money on that car, I'd be steaming right now as personally I don't like SMG or any electronic-clutch system.

Imagine buying a new Z06 or Viper etc and having a car with much more power and torque then the last generation but feels the same till over 100. Obviously that's not the case with either of those cars but you get my drift.

FloridaNative
01-20-2007, 07:35 PM
That sucks! What is he going to do about it? Is there a way to override the system or to mod it out to increase performance?

Surfer
01-20-2007, 07:39 PM
As of now, even BMW says it can't be completley turned off/over-ridden...course nobody started hearing about this till the actual owners started complaining. They said it's b/c the don't want to break the transmission which apparently is just the E39 6 speed swapped in with some changes. If your going to do it (especially with the demand for the manual trans) then do it right, not half assed. But I think their bs'ing on that as the E39 trans is actually pretty robust, it was the rear end just like the CTS-V people had issues with, IRS + Torque + sedan weight = not happy rear end when launched hard.

Worst part is if he wants to take it on a track or drive agressively, DSC will reign you in constantly. Most other cars you can swtich traction control/stability off and it won't kick back on till the car is retstarted or you enable it back on. My friend is not a happy camper right now after dropping the money on that.

Best part is I just found this on a search:
Quote from Tom Purves (CEO BMW North America)
"Our Dynamic Stability Control makes it possible to drive the Z8 very quickly. But, if you like, you can turn off the DSC. The day when we don't allow the driver to turn off such a device will be the day when we are no longer BMW."

ummmm somebody is going to be eating those words!!!!

FloridaNative
01-20-2007, 07:58 PM
As of now, even BMW says it can't be completley turned off/over-ridden...course nobody started hearing about this till the actual owners started complaining. They said it's b/c the don't want to break the transmission which apparently is just the E39 6 speed swapped in with some changes. If your going to do it (especially with the demand for the manual trans) then do it right, not half assed. But I think their bs'ing on that as the E39 trans is actually pretty robust, it was the rear end just like the CTS-V people had issues with, IRS + Torque + sedan weight = not happy rear end when launched hard.

Worst part is if he wants to take it on a track or drive agressively, DSC will reign you in constantly. Most other cars you can swtich traction control/stability off and it won't kick back on till the car is retstarted or you enable it back on. My friend is not a happy camper right now after dropping the money on that.

Best part is I just found this on a search:
Quote from Tom Purves (CEO BMW North America)
"Our Dynamic Stability Control makes it possible to drive the Z8 very quickly. But, if you like, you can turn off the DSC. The day when we don't allow the driver to turn off such a device will be the day when we are no longer BMW."

ummmm somebody is going to be eaiting those words!!!!

I think you are right! lol Man!! That's so lame!! I feel so sorry for your friend. I know some dealerships have a 30 day money back guarantee on their cars. Maybe he can return it and get another Bimmer that's not such a speed Nazi?? I'm sure there's some way to hack it though.

turbos17
01-20-2007, 08:23 PM
What a pie of crap that is! I would take it back..yes you will loose some money...and then tell them "To Go Pound Sand!"

abrcrombe
01-20-2007, 08:32 PM
So on the M6 SMG you can turn DSC off, but you can't on the M5/6 spd? LOL thats wierd...

Surfer
01-21-2007, 09:35 AM
So on the M6 SMG you can turn DSC off, but you can't on the M5/6 spd? LOL thats wierd...Yup. I don't believe he can take it back either as he's had it for just over 2 months now and was finished breaking her in before really getting on it. I think to return a car you have a certain window period, like 3 days or something?

turbos17
01-21-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't know what the law is in your state but here in CA there is a "No cooling off period!" Like I said he should cutt his loses and get something else, because that is beyond ridiculous!

abrcrombe
01-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Some places in CA are starting to give you return periods. That totally sucks.. I'll take it off his hands if the price is right. Like 20k :) Ask him.

Kelso
01-21-2007, 02:46 PM
yea i read about the dsc and e39 trans in the e60's on floridagerman....not cool

although on a lighter note, bmw is bringing the 1 series to america! they will soon have the 130i(small 2 door hatch w/inline 6 cylinder 3.0 liter) and, my favorite, the 135i. that is the twin turbo 6 cylinder 2 door hatch....basically, ive almost decided once it comes out ill get rid of my 318ti and get a 135i, im that excited...