PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Scratches too Deep?

bigaizsosexy
06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey All,

I decided to recondition the trunk and tail gate of my Lincoln Aviator as it had heavy swirl marks and marring. (as seen in the photo's). I cleared all of the heavy swirling and marring with UC and a Orange LC CCS 5.5in Pad on my PC XP. My concern is the lateral scratches that won't diminish by any means. I used a yellow lc CCS pad with M105 and i didn't see that noticeable of a difference, so I am starting to think the scratches are too deep to be removed with a DA. Any Suggestions?

Look at the photo's of the scratches.

Thanks,
Andrew

bigaizsosexy
06-29-2011, 08:12 PM
bump

Flash Gordon
06-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Rotary + Rocks-n-Bottle would be my next step

bigaizsosexy
06-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Rotary + Rocks-n-Bottle would be my next step

That's what I was thinking.....Well, at least the rotary part :xyxthumbs:

Dr Oldz
06-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Remember some scratches may be too deep to be removed without removing all of the clear or damaging it. Can you feel these with your fingernail? If so, then just let well enough alone. If not a rotary and compound is an option but use caution as to how much clear you are removing.

UK-Matt
06-30-2011, 04:33 AM
Wet sand them.

bigaizsosexy
06-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Remember some scratches may be too deep to be removed without removing all of the clear or damaging it. Can you feel these with your fingernail? If so, then just let well enough alone. If not a rotary and compound is an option but use caution as to how much clear you are removing.

Some of them are finger nail deep, but some are cutting it close without the clicking of the fingernail when ran across them. Again, I don't want to level all of the clear so I am going to leave it alone as of now.

Dr Oldz
06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Some of them are finger nail deep, but some are cutting it close without the clicking of the fingernail when ran across them. Again, I don't want to level all of the clear so I am going to leave it alone as of now.

I think that is your best plan. Besides you did make a considerable improvement. Looks good! :props:

bigaizsosexy
06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I think that is your best plan. Besides you did make a considerable improvement. Looks good! :props:

Thanks! Appreciate it!

JonMiles
06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
You could probably remove them with wetsanding, but unless you are experienced and able to judge the paint well/ have a ptg your best bet is to minimize them as much as possible and live with the problem.

bigaizsosexy
06-30-2011, 03:45 PM
You could probably remove them with wetsanding, but unless you are experienced and able to judge the paint well/ have a ptg your best bet is to minimize them as much as possible and live with the problem.

Jon,

I am extremely experienced with a DA, but not with Wet Sanding.

Thanks,
Andrew

JonMiles
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Jon,

I am extremely experienced with a DA, but not with Wet Sanding.

Thanks,
Andrew

have you damp sanded much with the DA?

bigaizsosexy
06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
have you damp sanded much with the DA?

I am aware of the technique, but don't want to run my clear all the way down for future issues.