PDA

View Full Version : Newb question - Can you wax/seal exterior chrome trim

crcfl
06-29-2011, 05:04 PM
First, thanks in advance for your time. I can't stop reading the informative threads on this forum! I did a search for chrome and plastic chrome and though I found some good info I didn't find the exact answer I was looking for.

Today I put a coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. Really pleased with the results. The car sparkles and I fortunately did not experience any streaking as others have reported. (including a quick pic).

There is a fair amount of chrome on the car - the side mirrors, the grille, door handles and other accents. I wasn't sure if it was okay to wax over this chrome so I did my best to avoid it. Can I/Should I apply the wax to the chrome accents? Is there a better product I should use instead? This chrome is a pain to keep clean!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm87/chadndi/2011%20Chrysler%20300%20Limited/c6e00058.jpg
As you can see from the picture I need some tire dressing. The wheels are polished aluminum (not sure if they have a clear coat on them). It sounds like Sonax is a safe bet for a wheel cleaner and the Daytona Speedmaster Wheel Brush is a useful tool. So, I plan on ordering those. Today I will pick up an OTC Megs tire dressing gel. Any other wheel/tire product you like for polished aluminum?

Thanks!

Chad

rwright
06-29-2011, 05:11 PM
You can wax them but to be honest I would go with something like Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus. You can coat your trim, wheels, and tires all with the same product and it will last. Then you will only need soap and water to clean your wheels :).

Mike Phillips
06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Sure you can...

"Something is better than nothing"

There are microscopic surface imperfections in the surface of a chrome coating and a quality wax will fill these voids and act like a barrier coating.

Historically hard waxes were recommended for this like M16, so any similar product should work. Also, there are metal sealants for brightwork.

Just like paint, the key is regular maintenance, not a one-time application and forget about it.

:)

crcfl
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks to both of you for the insights! I will be sure to put in an order this week.

Mike - As an OTC option right now for the chrome. Do you think Mother's Chrome Polish will work?

Just to clarify the synthetic wax I used on my car today shouldn't damage the chrome if I apply it, correct?

Thanks!

Chad

forrest@mothers
06-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Mike - As an OTC option right now for the chrome. Do you think Mother's Chrome Polish will work?

Chad

The surfaces you mentioned are not "real" chrome. I'd not use our Chrome Polish - I'd go with a wax - synthetic or carnauba - for protection.

crcfl
06-29-2011, 08:52 PM
The surfaces you mentioned are not "real" chrome. I'd not use our Chrome Polish - I'd go with a wax - synthetic or carnauba - for protection.

Great thanks so much!

Ron Atchison
06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
:iagree: synthetic or carnauba

mcpp66
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM

How can you tell this by looking at a picture? I'm not questioning your knowledge, just trying to learn something.

oldmodman
06-29-2011, 09:48 PM
And I would stay away from any cleaner/waxes.

Real chrome on metal parts may be hard enough to survive a cleaner/wax but the chrome finish on a plastic part won't. Just rubbing the skin on you hand over a plastic chromed part can be enough to scratch it.

Mike Phillips
06-29-2011, 09:56 PM

If the parts are chrome plastic then I agree with Forrest, no harm intended but I was posting fast and furious while working on another project and just scanned the topic of the thread and posted my answer based upon my experience with real or normal chrome.

If it is plastic chrome, just keep it clean and anytime you're waxing the paint just buzz over the chrome too...

:xyxthumbs:

crcfl
06-30-2011, 07:47 AM
How can you tell this by looking at a picture? I'm not questioning your knowledge, just trying to learn something.

Thanks all! I have this question as well. The grille is clearly a chrome plastic but I am surprised the mirrors and some of the other accents are as well Truth be told I ended up trying it before I saw the post. I did a small section first and it worked great. The chrome looks amazing all around now - a real mirror finish. So, I am glad it did not damage it but it sounds like in the future it will be just wax for me.

Best,

Chad

forrest@mothers
06-30-2011, 07:58 AM
"Real" chrome plating is done over a metal - Steel, aluminum, etc.

What are your mirror housings made of?

Most non-wheel "chrome" today is a vacuum film over plastic or a composite.

CEE DOG
06-30-2011, 09:15 AM
You can wax them but to be honest I would go with something like Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus. You can coat your trim, wheels, and tires all with the same product and it will last. Then you will only need soap and water to clean your wheels :).

You took the words out of my mouth Richard. Ultima Trim & Tire Guard

Bunky
06-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I like cleaner wax. A good way to use of those small bottles.

crcfl
06-30-2011, 05:01 PM
"Real" chrome plating is done over a metal - Steel, aluminum, etc.

What are your mirror housings made of?

Most non-wheel "chrome" today is a vacuum film over plastic or a composite.

Good to know! It looks like it is a plastic - definitely not metal.

Ordering Ultima this weekend!