PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of tape lines

deS
06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
I've polished and waxed my car and have some pretty nasty tape lines that I can't get rid of by elbow grease and towel alone. What product can I use that won't strip the wax to get rid of them?

jamores23
06-29-2011, 04:18 PM
you should of removed them before waxing. you could use something like 3m adhesive remover.

embolism
06-29-2011, 04:19 PM
did you use painter's tape and remove it after polishing?

You aren't supposed to wax with the tape still on. The time to address the tape residue was after polishing when you wipe down the car to get rid of dust and polishing oils. IPA or mineral spirits would have probably taken care of it. Maybe a little diluted APC or adhesive remover.

After polishing and wipedown, the car should look like it's been waxed, even though it's got nothing on it. The wax is just the final touch to protect the finish.

Whatever you do now will remove your wax with the residue. No biggie, just rewax and consider it a lesson learned...

maximus20895
06-29-2011, 04:34 PM
A compound like 105 will remove them.

PAR Detailing
06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Try using a little Glass Cleaner on a MF towel. That is what I use and it works great. And I agree with everyone else, in the future polish -> Remove tape -> Wax/seal -> Grab beer or favorite beverage -> Enjoy

deS
06-29-2011, 08:02 PM
cheers. opc @ 3:1 did the job