PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

simplyshane
06-29-2011, 02:00 PM
So I need a little help. I have drips of sun tan lotion on my car. They were on there for a couple weeks and I washed my car today and they aren't coming off. I can feel them raised on the paint, so as far as I am aware it hasn't ate the paint. Will a clay bar remove them? I tried a bug remover sponge thing that I had on hand and that didn't work at all.

Thanks in advance

Shane

Flash Gordon
06-29-2011, 02:53 PM
There is only 1 way to find out if the claybar will work. Try it and see :p

I kinda doubt that it will though. More then likely one of the ingredients in the suntan lotion has etched your clear

I read an article recentally talking about all the dangerous ingredients that go into making suntan lotion. The one that was most alarming to me was Oxybenzone

Oxybenzone is a known skin Cancer causing agent, so try not to get any lotion on your skin ;)

Mike Phillips
06-29-2011, 03:22 PM
So I need a little help. I have drips of sun tan lotion on my car. They were on there for a couple weeks and I washed my car today and they aren't coming off. I can feel them raised on the paint, so as far as I am aware it hasn't ate the paint.

Sounds like something in the suntan lotion has penetrated into the paint and caused it to swell...

Ouch...

Is this the car, the one in your sig line?

1997 Black Toyota Camry 205,XXX miles

:)

simplyshane
06-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Flash: I'll try the clay once I get some money to buy some.

Mike: Yes, that is the car.

I'll be honest too. I know it sounds bad, but if there's not much that I can do, it's an oh well moment. Because I don't have any buffer or anything, and due to improper washing, the car is swirled up the waazoo, but I still don't have the funds to do anything to properly care for it.

Flash Gordon
06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Flash: I'll try the clay once I get some money to buy some.

Mike: Yes, that is the car.

I'll be honest too. I know it sounds bad, but if there's not much that I can do, it's an oh well moment. Because I don't have any buffer or anything, and due to improper washing, the car is swirled up the waazoo, but I still don't have the funds to do anything to properly care for it.

Try some Ultimate Compound by hand and see what gives. The sooner you address this the better

simplyshane
06-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Ultimate is by megs right?

poweraid
06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
yes ultimate compound and polish by megs , u can get that locally Wally world - auto parts store and ag of course

Flash Gordon
06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Ultimate is by megs right?

Correct

simplyshane
06-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Alright thanks guys. Hopefully it's nothing more than just on the surface.

simplyshane
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Well thank you to autogeek all that helped me out.

The meg's ultimate compound worked great. Took it right off with a little elbow grease.

And for future reference, the clay bar did not do much except tell me that I need to clay the rest of my car haha.

geekdout
07-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Since this thread is already about a issue caused by suntan lotion I thought it would be a good place to ask. I was talking to someone today about a possible detail on their car. Everything sounded pretty normal until she mentioned her driver's side seat has a couple of really big stains from sun tan lotion and its been there for a couple of weeks. The leather is dark grey and she said the stains are a light cream color.

From what she has told me already I got the impression that the leather has absorbed the sun tan lotion already but is there any advice you guys could offer.