PDA

View Full Version : What pads do I purchase for my Porter Cable?

ncmp
06-29-2011, 09:42 AM
I have Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, Total Swirl Remover, and their Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. First time using a Porter Cable, so I want to make sure I'm using the right pads. The descriptions aside from the cutting pads seem almost identical to the point where you just choose your favorite color.

I know to get an orange cutting pad, but I'm lost on what I'd need for the other two. A green polishing/finishing for the polish enhancer, and a red ultrasoft wax/sealant for the DGP 3.0?

Nudge me in the right direction. :xyxthumbs:

HeavyMetal
06-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Umm, hate to tell you this but you're gonna need a finish polish like Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. The TSR will not finish fine enough and the Paintwork Polish Enhancer is a cleaner rather than a final polish.

As far as pads, I'd suggest the 5.5" Lake Country flat pads - one each yellow, orange, white and grey, and two blue. Use the yellow or orange for the TSR and white or grey for the FG. You'll have to experiment to see which pad combination gives you the best results. Use the blue for the sealant. The extra blue can be used for a wax over top of the sealant.

Mike Phillips
06-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Craig, aka HeavyMetal is correct and he's been there and done that...

Check out this thread...

Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wolfgang-car-care/34641-wolfgang-twins.html)

:)

dreamps
06-29-2011, 10:55 AM
5.5 flat pads are the way to go. not a fan of the css pads

ncmp
06-29-2011, 12:08 PM
So I'd need to use all 4 Wolfgang products? Am I better off just getting a pad kit with all of them?

flyinion
06-29-2011, 12:21 PM
So I'd need to use all 4 Wolfgang products? Am I better off just getting a pad kit with all of them?

I think it also depends on the condition of the paint. The wolfgang info page says the new 3.0 version of TSR is supposed to break down pretty fine and maybe not need a polish. I have both and will be using them together on my 350Z soon. However, I worked on my parent's black F150 a few weeks back that is about 7 years old and the paint was seriously neglected with lots of water spot etchings and such. TSR with orange did a very good job cleaning most of it up. However I couldn't get all of the etchings out (not sure if I need a rotary or just a more aggressive product than TSR or just a second "coat") and when I put the Finishing Glaze on top in a test spot, I was very hard pressed to see a difference due to the condition of the paint.

edit: that's a good question about using all 4. I'd be interested in the answer too. TSR, FG, DGPS, or does it really need the PPE in between the glaze and the sealant. I know the PPE will fill in any fine scratches that don't get removed by the first two, so I guess the question is whether the chemical cleaning is needed after the wolfgang twins are used.

ncmp
06-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Well my car was recently painted from an insurance claim. They did the passenger side doors, both bumpers, and the hood. Went to my fathers friends shop, not some Maaco shop. Not sure if that makes a difference with any of the chemicals or steps.

HeavyMetal
06-30-2011, 07:02 AM
Well my car was recently painted from an insurance claim. They did the passenger side doors, both bumpers, and the hood. Went to my fathers friends shop, not some Maaco shop. Not sure if that makes a difference with any of the chemicals or steps.

Yes, that makes a big difference. You need to contact whomever did your car and ask how much clear they shot and how much they buffed off. Tell them that you're gonna polsih out some swirls with a DA and ask if they feel confident about the thickness of the clear. If some min wage buffer monkey went after your car with a rotary, there may be spots where the clear is whisper thin and you could go right thru.

As to what you need if you do the car, WG TSR and FG. And DGPS or another sealant if you choose to use a sealant. As Mike P noted to me in a similar discussion, PPE will do nothing to enhance the finish beyond what the polishing will do. It also will not remove defects. It's a cleaner and gloss enhancer for use in removing old sealants and waxes in prep for re-coating.

05xrunner
06-30-2011, 07:29 AM
5.5" Low profile Hydro-techs or the 5.5" Megs microfiber pads

ncmp
06-30-2011, 08:27 AM
My guess is a minimum wage monkey with a rotary buffer. I only notice the swirls on the hood. Rest of the car looked really good. Car is loaded with pollen so I'll have to rinse it off and check for swirls.

Would pictures help? Do you suggest a different cutting pad? I'll give them a call and see what they say. He told me I should be good to detail it in a month. I got it done around May 8th.