PDA

View Full Version : Help- Have some paint cloudiness that won't go away.

Pages : [1] 2

cwkoch
06-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Well, a while back I did some of my first paint correction I've ever done on my black Z06. Used a Porter Cable random orbital with Lake Country pads. I used some Wizards swirl remover to get rid of the swirls, then followed that up with Klasse All in One, then the Klasse sealer. After that I waited about 6-8 hours and applied Collonite Insulator Wax. The car looks great in the shade, or in the flourescent lights in the garage, but out in the direct sunlight I have some cloudiness in the paint. I'm not sure if I applied too much of one of the products, or didn't wait long enough in between certain products. I thought the cloudiness might go away after a couple washes, but it hasn't after about 4 washes.

I've used the Collonite insulator wax previously on my black truck, as well as my black boat, and never had any problems. I'm suspecting one of the Klasse products may have done it, but I'm just not sure. I've also used the Wizard's swirl remover before on my truck, followed up directly by the Collonite Insulator wax, and didn't have a problem then. So, the 2 Klasse steps are really the only new product in the mix here

Is there a product I could use to strip all the wax and Klasse sealer off, and then re-apply just the wax? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

cutter
06-29-2011, 08:38 AM
I would have waited 12 hrs. cure time on the sealant. I don't know if that is the problem or not.

Flannigan
06-29-2011, 08:39 AM
What pads did you use to do the correction? The cloudiness is most likely marring from a heavy compounding step that wasn't refined. KAIO isn't going to give you much, if any correction, so you really need to have the paint almost perfect before you use that step.

embolism
06-29-2011, 09:31 AM
does it look anything like the left side of the panel or is it more an overall haziness

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1187/medium/CGBL_KSG_vs_nothing1.JPG

could be the ksg wasn't fully removed. When I took this pic, I thought I had removed it all but at this angle, that obviously wasn't the case...

845 should have cleaned it off though. Maybe try another coat of 845 on a small section but do a WOWO i.e don't let it haze and see if that helps.

cwkoch
06-29-2011, 10:44 AM
What pads did you use to do the correction? The cloudiness is most likely marring from a heavy compounding step that wasn't refined. KAIO isn't going to give you much, if any correction, so you really need to have the paint almost perfect before you use that step.

I think it was a white pad with the swirl remover.... It doesn't look hazy due to scratches, it's more of a cloudy look, it varies by area. Hard to explain, but it looks chemical, not mechanical.

does it look anything like the left side of the panel or is it more an overall haziness

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1187/medium/CGBL_KSG_vs_nothing1.JPG

could be the ksg wasn't fully removed. When I took this pic, I thought I had removed it all but at this angle, that obviously wasn't the case...

845 should have cleaned it off though. Maybe try another coat of 845 on a small section but do a WOWO i.e don't let it haze and see if that helps.

Kinda sorta like the left side, but not streaky, more cloudy....

I think I'll try more 845 on it. Should I go real light with a red Lake Country pad, then wipe off immediately after that?

embolism
06-29-2011, 01:41 PM
I put the ksg on that way but if I did it using circles, my haze might have been circular like clouds.

before breaking out the DA and priming a pad, just take a bit of 845
on a hand applicator and do a test spot. Work a bit on top of a hazy section then wipe it off

Dubbin1
06-29-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm willing to bet you needed to go another step with a finer polish.

cwkoch
06-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm willing to bet you needed to go another step with a finer polish.

Finer than a swirl remover?

Is there something you would recommend?

Dr Oldz
06-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Sounds like you need a finishing polish. Something like megs 205 will do the trick. That swirl remove won't leave swirls behind but it does leave a haze or cloudieness behind that is actually micro-marring.

embolism
06-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Does the OP need to strip the 845 and KSG or would just going over it with 205 work?

How do you strip that combo anyhow? 4:1 APC plus dawn?

cwkoch
06-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Sounds like you need a finishing polish. Something like megs 205 will do the trick. That swirl remove won't leave swirls behind but it does leave a haze or cloudieness behind that is actually micro-marring.

Thanks for the info. I'm kinda new to a lot of this....

If I just went at it now with a finishing polish, that will strip the wax and sealer, and take care of the cloudiness? Then, I can go straight back to the 845 if I want, or do the Klasse steps in the middle again?

Dubbin1
06-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm kinda new to a lot of this....

If I just went at it now with a finishing polish, that will strip the wax and sealer, and take care of the cloudiness? Then, I can go straight back to the 845 if I want, or do the Klasse steps in the middle again?

Yes it will strip everything.

Mike Phillips
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Well, a while back I did some of my first paint correction I've ever done on my black Z06.

Used a Porter Cable random orbital with Lake Country pads. I used some Wizards swirl remover to get rid of the swirls, then followed that up with Klasse All in One, then the Klasse sealer.

After that I waited about 6-8 hours and applied Collinite Insulator Wax. The car looks great in the shade, or in the fluorescent lights in the garage, but out in the direct sunlight I have some cloudiness in the paint.

Did you do all of the above to the entire car? And then find out afterwards there is a problem?

Ouch...

If so, this is a good example of why it's a good idea to do what's called a Test Spot or a test section with all the products you plan on using over the entire car but first only to a small section and then inspect under different lighting conditions.

It's also a good idea, especially if you're new to working with an abrasive polish and machine application on a black car, especially a black clearcoated Corvette to strip your test spot after all the abrading steps and then inspect the results.

At this point if there's a problem with any part of the process, that could be the pad selection, product selection or your technique, at least the problem is isolated to a small area and not the entire vehicle.

:)

embolism
06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
guess my advice wasn't the greatest

my bad

Mike Phillips
06-29-2011, 03:12 PM
One thing you can do to trouble shoot the problem is get a different finishing polish like Dr Oldz stated and then lay a strip of painters tape on a horizontal panel and buff on just one side of the tape.

See if switching to a different light or finishing polish will undo the damage. You need to dial-in a process that works and proves itself in one small area before attempting to buff out the entire car again.

Do you have any other polishes?

Megs 205 works good, so do their consumer products, as do any of the finishing polishes by Menzerna. Wolfgang Twins and Pinnacle Twins also work very well. Lots of choices.

Testing is of utmost importance.

As you can see though, plenty of helpful and knowledgeable people here on the forum to help see you through to sucess...

:xyxthumbs: