PDA

View Full Version : New member, new car - advice on quick detail?

crcfl
06-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Good morning! First, thanks for this wonderful website and forum. In many ways I am overwhelmed by the information here. I recently purchased a new car and would like to ensure I am taking good care of it. I am coming off of almost a decade of leases so, honestly, I was pretty happy with my touchless car washes (gasp!) J. . Let’s just say this forum and website has been an eye-opener. My new car is a 2011 Chrysler 300 and is “Tungesten Metallic Clear Coat” a dark gray color. The car only has a couple hundred miles on it.

I picked up some OTC Megs Gold Class Car Wash (as recommended on these forums and gave the car a quick rinse this week). I really liked this product and look forward to trying others.

We have a few nice days ahead of us that I would like to take advantage of but my time is limited. Just wanted to throw out my game plan for getting some initial protection on it:

Megs to wash the car.
Using microfibers to dry it.
Then going with just the Optimum Car Wax or Collinite 845 or Megs UltimateQuik Wax (OTC)

Anyone just wash and wax? J

With a car this new is the clay technique vital? Perhaps the better question is: Will it be detrimental to the car to not use clay?

If I can find the time I was thinking of putting down a coat of sealant and then wax.
Perhaps, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze and then
Detailer's Pro Series Max Wax Carnauba Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/carnauba-car-wax.html)– or the Collinite 845.

However, at this point I think an OTC product might be best for me, so probably something from the Megs line. That being said Collinite 845 sounds like a great product and I may place an order for that today with some more microfiber cloths.

I do plan on eventually doing a full detail on the car but thought it might be a good idea to get some form of protection on it as it could be quite a few weeks before I am in a position to do that.

Thanks for in advance for your time and any insights on the plan or products.

Best,

Chad

embolism
06-28-2011, 09:07 AM
get some mild clay
optimum no rinse to make clay lube
menzerna power lock or wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant or collinite 845

free sample can be the WG DGPS...

most swirls come from washing and drying so be sure to read up on how to do both properly

Mike Phillips
06-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi Chad,

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

With a car this new is the clay technique vital? Perhaps the better question is: Will it be detrimental to the car to not use clay?

What determines whether the paint needs to be clayed or not is what's in the air over and around the car. If at anytime there were contaminants in the air around the car after it came off the assembly line then it could need to be clayed.

The way to tell if paint needs to be clayed is to feel it after you wash and dry the car. See this article,

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

If the paint feels smooth like a piece of brand new glass then move onto simply applying a coat of wax.

Check out this article too...

One tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37279-one-tip-working-waxes-paint-sealants-coatings-new-you.html)

:)

crcfl
06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Thank you both for your time!