PDA

View Full Version : Help: Collinite 845

Pages : [1] 2 3

CLipster
06-27-2011, 09:05 PM
I have now used this wax one two cars, three separate occasions. For the Bermuda blue tahoe, it was awesome. The flakes just popped. Now on the silver metallic Malibu, I am just not sure. I apply powerlock prior to.

With the 845, I am not sure how much I am to apply. I am not sure how long I am to wait, before I need to take off.

I had heard, go lite and it doesn't take long to haze and then take off or it will be a bugger to take off.

I want to keep using this product, but I just need advice how I am really to be using or if there are pointers to make this a little easier.

Thanks in advance.

S2K
06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
I think 845 is a very easy wax to use. Everything I read before I used it said to apply very thin, apply to two panels then wipe off the first then the second, then move on. I have used this technique many times and it works great. I have never let it haze more than maybe ten minutes and it was always so easy to wipe off. 845 is a very durable wax that will last and looks very nice but don't expect the looks of higher end waxes. I use it on my wheels and it repels dust and dirt and lasts through many washings. Remember "thin is in"! I don't remember where I heard that quote but I have stuck to it with great results.

dougaross
06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Are you applying with DA or by hand?

S2K
06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Oh yea, Bobby can probably add a lot to this, I think (like me) this is one of his favorite waxes.

S2K
06-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks for reminding me Doug, I have always applied by hand with this technique.

dougaross
06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
845 is best applied with DA with LC red pad.
First, shake product so that it is the consistency of milk - make sure you keep your finger over cap while shaking. In order to control the amount of product applied, use a flip top cap from another product or squeeze bottle. Apply 6-8 drops to the pad and spread over a panel then add half that amount for the next panel. Wipe first panel. You will probably find you need to add less for subsequent panels

S2K
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
I have been wanting to try applying with DA just always been afraid I would use too much and wasting it (but now I have an idea of how much to start, Thank You), also I love massaging it by hand. I don't have a red pad but do have blue CCS, would the blue work fine?

05xrunner
06-27-2011, 09:59 PM
i get good application using a polishing pal with a 3" red CCS pad..goes on mice and smooth and very thin and removes real easy.

HeavyMetal
06-28-2011, 07:29 AM
I've used both a red and a blue LC pad. Either is fine. I use 6 - 8 drops to prime and 4 - 5 drops per panel thereafter. I've left 845 hazed for up to 45 min with no prob - I typically do around the door handles & rockers by hand and then come back and do the panels. No trouble getting it off if you put it on thin. And out of the sun, of course.

CLipster
06-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Are you applying with DA or by hand?

By hand

BobbyG
06-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey, how did you guys know Collinite 845 is one of my favorite waxes? :D

I hear allot of disappointments when applying Collinite 845 by hand because it sort of difficult to get thin enough. When applying by hand you really need to focus on using a very small amount. If you question whether you're applying it too thin then you're probably just about right.

If too much Collinite 845 is applied it'll seem like it's sticky or tacky never wanting to completely haze. Additionally, wiping or buffing becomes a sticky mess but as the excess is removed you should see that the buffing becomes easier and that gorgeous gloss comes through.

For years I applied wax by hand because "by hand" is synonymous with the very best...in this case it could not be further from the truth. I remember waxing being a major pain in the butt because removing wax meant allot of hard work and towels. I also remember allot of product ending up on the towel thus wasting much of it and the hard earned cash I payed for it.

Once I realized that waxes were meant to be applied THIN everything seemed to fall right into place. If I took my time manually applying the product and getting it THIN, I generally achieved good results.

One day I decided to try applying Collinite 845 with my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a soft red pad... I could not believe how easy it was and how thin I could spread the product film. A new approach was born! :props:

When you think about it, just how thick or how thin is that layer of protection we leave on the paint after buffing? I can tell you it's so thin it's probably not able to be measured accurately.

Here's an example to give you an idea of how thin this layer is.

One of my responsibilities is the engineering and development high speed precision metal stamping processes. Typically I deal in real life dimensions as small as 0.00002 inches, that's 20 millionths of an inch. While you might be surprised, your touch is sensitive enough to be able to detect about 0.0002 of an inch just by sliding your finger across two uneven surfaces. That's 2 ten thousands of an inch!

Where am I going with all this you might be asking yourself? It illustrates how thin the wax or protective coating really is that's left after buffing...

THIN is in boys and girls.

dougaross
06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Hey, how did you guys know Collinite 845 is one of my favorite waxes? :D

I think you mentioned it in one of your previous posts. :D

BobbyG
06-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I think you mentioned it in one of your previous posts. :D

HAHA Doug, you might be right!! :props:

CEE DOG
06-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Apply very thin (no point in wasting product anyway) and it will come off without issue after hazing. Last car I did with it I left it on for an hour and had no issues.

TheCougarGuy
06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I used 845 this past weekend for the first time. Using my Griot's DA and 6" red pad, I applied it the entire side of the Rendezvous I was working and then went back and wiped it off. It was a breeze to remove.