PDA

View Full Version : Meg's MF Finishing pad and was leaving swirls

stebob
06-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok, I'm pretty much a noob at this. I just do it as a hobbyist. I've been doing it for a couple of years, though, just not that often. I'm always learning something new. Anyway...I picked up the new Meg's MF system to use with my 6" GG.

Anxious to try it out on my 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab in bright white. Since the last polish it got last year it had some swirls and scratches here and there. I did the cutting pad and compound and quite surprised how well it finished out. Only a slight haze/marring left behind. Had to really look close into the sun to see it.

So, ok now to get a perfect finish. I used the finishing pad and wax and looked into the sun with horror. SWIRLS! Yes, they were slight, but there nonetheless and they weren't there after the compound step. So I made a pass with compound and removed them again. I thought maybe I used too much pressure, or too many passes. I did 3 passes with pretty light pressure. So this time I just used the weight of the machine and made 2 passes after recompounding to remove the swirls. Same thing! Ok, maybe I had it on too fast a speed. I had it on 3 on my 6" GG. I used 2.5, only the pressure of the machine, 2 passes. Same thing.. Thought maybe it was the finishing wax, so I used the other pad (I got 2 with the kit) and put 205 on it. Exact same thing.

I ended up just finishing out with the compound step. Since it's white it's not noticeable unless you really look hard, but I wanted a perfect finish. I might have got it finishing out with 205 and a white LC flat pad, but I didn't try it. I just made myself happy with the compounding step in disbelief I got the results I did with the finishing pad and wax.

Maybe my paint just doesn't like the finishing pad and wax...but I find that odd with how well the cutting pad and compound finished out. I mean it's damn near perfect as it is, with only the slight amount of hazing if you get close and really look into the sun. The benefit of white, I guess.

Any thoughts or tips here? Anyone else find the same thing?

RaskyR1
06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Ok, I'm pretty much a noob at this. I just do it as a hobbyist. I've been doing it for a couple of years, though, just not that often. I'm always learning something new. Anyway...I picked up the new Meg's MF system to use with my 6" GG.

Anxious to try it out on my 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab in bright white. Since the last polish it got last year it had some swirls and scratches here and there. I did the cutting pad and compound and quite surprised how well it finished out. Only a slight haze/marring left behind. Had to really look close into the sun to see it.

So, ok now to get a perfect finish. I used the finishing pad and wax and looked into the sun with horror. SWIRLS! Yes, they were slight, but there nonetheless and they weren't there after the compound step. So I made a pass with compound and removed them again. I thought maybe I used too much pressure, or too many passes. I did 3 passes with pretty light pressure. So this time I just used the weight of the machine and made 2 passes after recompounding to remove the swirls. Same thing! Ok, maybe I had it on too fast a speed. I had it on 3 on my 6" GG. I used 2.5, only the pressure of the machine, 2 passes. Same thing.. Thought maybe it was the finishing wax, so I used the other pad (I got 2 with the kit) and put 205 on it. Exact same thing.

I ended up just finishing out with the compound step. Since it's white it's not noticeable unless you really look hard, but I wanted a perfect finish. I might have got it finishing out with 205 and a white LC flat pad, but I didn't try it. I just made myself happy with the compounding step in disbelief I got the results I did with the finishing pad and wax.

Maybe my paint just doesn't like the finishing pad and wax...but I find that odd with how well the cutting pad and compound finished out. I mean it's damn near perfect as it is, with only the slight amount of hazing if you get close and really look into the sun. The benefit of white, I guess.

Any thoughts or tips here? Anyone else find the same thing?

I've had that happen on a few paints now. Though I almost always finish off with foam pads. I think it's more he MF pad that too aggressive for the paint rather than the finishing wax itself however.

I've also found that on paints that haze using the D300/cutting pad that more pressure, slower arm movement, and reduced work area size produces much, much better results....at least on the cars I've done so far.

rfinkle2
06-27-2011, 02:42 PM
If you are interested in trying it, I finish all paints (hobbyist with a few cars I work on, including my own) with a microfiber bonnet on top of a foam pad with either po85rd, or po1066f.

stebob
06-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks, Rasky. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was just doing something wrong. I will say, though, I love the cutting pad and polish. I guess I'll just go back to foam and 205, or similar, for finishing. I use LC flat white with 205 and always seem to get good results. Anything else I should try with 205 padwise?

rfinkle2, interesting idea. I might try that out sometime. Any reason you don't just use the foam pad?

dreamps
06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
rasky- if you dont mind, would you share what cars/trucks you had this issue with?

Mister B
06-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I had that happen on my truck with the finishing wax. It had some slight marring that the compound step did not have. I went back over it on speed 3 with slower arm movement and more pressure and it cleared.it up.

dreamps
06-27-2011, 04:28 PM
hmmm interesting. i havent tried the finishing wax yet w/the discs.... did you have this issue when you tried 151 w/the finishing discs?

silverfox
06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't get this. How can going from the most aggressive option (d300) with an aggressive cutting pad ...and it looks almost LSP ready ...then you go to a much less aggressive finishing pad with a finishing polish (d301) ...and the less agressive finishing option mars the paint?

rfinkle2
06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Rasky. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was just doing something wrong. I will say, though, I love the cutting pad and polish. I guess I'll just go back to foam and 205, or similar, for finishing. I use LC flat white with 205 and always seem to get good results. Anything else I should try with 205 padwise?

rfinkle2, interesting idea. I might try that out sometime. Any reason you don't just use the foam pad?

I find it faster to use a bonnet, especially on stubbornly soft paint.

If you do try it, will you post your results in this thread? I'm interested in hearing your impressions.

You can also spritz the bonnet with a bit of distilled h20 in order to keep things lubricated.

stebob
06-27-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't get this. How can going from the most aggressive option (d300) with an aggressive cutting pad ...and it looks almost LSP ready ...then you go to a much less aggressive finishing pad with a finishing polish (d301) ...and the less agressive finishing option mars the paint?

Exactly my confusion as well! But, I kid you not it happened 3 different times on my truck, egen using 205. It must be the finishing pad. Odd as well I never considered my trucks paint soft...i dunno.

It is impressive how the compound pad and polush finish out. Damn near LSP ready.

Ok, just checked my small arsenal, I thought I had a MF bonnet..but I don't. Think I'll just use LC flat white or black with 205...at least on my truck. I have a 2003 Acura TL pearl white I'll try the finishing pad and wax on and see what happens there. I'm not going to give up on it.

carsmetic
06-27-2011, 07:20 PM
I've done about 40 cars with the new system and found the finish step to create a haze most of the time. The haze is most visible on the rounded surfaces, like above the windows. I had better results with the 301 and finish pad using low speed, low arm speed and more pressure. I rarely use that combo for finish. Lately I've achieved great results doing some hard pressure, slow arm speed passes using the cutting pad and d300, than rather than reducing pressure during compounding I leave the residue on and prime a med polish foam pad with d301 and go over the residue to remove any hazing from the compounding process. I wipe off the surface and do quick pass on the whole car using a foam finish pad and 301. 301 is so EASY to work with and leaves a nice finish and seems to last plenty long.

Today doing a black subaru the compounding process was removing defects easily so I experimented using the mf finish pad and 151 PRC. I was able to use pressure to remove defects than turn the speed down and use slow arm speed and moderate pressure to finish it out. More or less one step and I was done. Car looked great. I'm looking forward to trying this again. Maybe it was just stupid soft paint IDK but will try it again. his totally suprised me since I've almost always had hazing after using the mf finish pad. Not this time :)

Another note. I've burned up several mf pads and foam pads using too much speed and pressure with the griots 6" da. I do not go over speed 5 any more and have not had any pad issues. 4.5 to 5 is as fast as I set it anymore. Added pressure and slower arm speed will handle most defects. I do not need show car results, doing cars for a high volume used car lot and occaisionaly they put one on the showroom. They really like black cars so we do a bunch of them. The new MF system is simply outstanding if done properly. There is a bit of a learning curve.
Use air to clean the pad frequently and all is good.
HTH