PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Behind Radio Screen?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ShineTimeDetail
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
So I detailed a Lexus yesterday and when I was doing the interior I noticed that there were specks of water behind the screen of the radio. I tried to use my tornador to blow it out but nothing happened. Well the guy just reached me today and told me his wife is 100% sure it wasn't there before I detailed it. What should I do and how can I fix this? Could this be my mistake or do you think they are trying to get one over on me?

jhallhall
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I never use any liquid directly on the electronics, instead I apply to a microfiber and use that. Also, it would help to go over the car before detailing with the owner present to prevent situations like these.

jamores23
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
they may be trying to get one on you. Maybe try a blow dryer to it??

LegacyGT
06-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Sit it out in direct sun for a few hours and hope it evaporates.

ShineTimeDetail
06-27-2011, 12:32 PM
It's been 3 days wouldn't it have evaporated by now?

embolism
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
did you notice it before you started using the tornador? If so, they are trying to get one over on you.

ShineTimeDetail
06-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Honesty I can't say. I really do feel it was there before hand. I have got fluid from the tornador behind face plates before but its always comes right out...never had a problem and I use this technique on every single car I do..full detail or basic wash.

ROMEO
06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
While not a quick fix, the radio could be removed, and put in a big zip lock bag with un cook rice, or silica, put it away for 5-7 day and it should take care of it... This is done by people that get water on their phones and it works out great... (But I'm guessing that the customer will not want to be without a radio for a week...)

ShineTimeDetail
06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
So I went out to look at this today. He thinks it was me. He took it to Lexus and they told him it was probably my fault. A new radio is like $700! I'm not sure what I should do. Is there a way that I can clean this out? It's a few dried up spots. I should've taken pics while I was out there today. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

eanelson
06-28-2011, 11:45 PM
So I went out to look at this today. He thinks it was me. He took it to Lexus and they told him it was probably my fault. A new radio is like $700! I'm not sure what I should do. Is there a way that I can clean this out? It's a few dried up spots. I should've taken pics while I was out there today. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Not to say it wasn't you, but I can imagine this was the extent of Lexus' detective work:

Lexus: Have you done anything to your car recently?

Customer: Yeah, I got it detailed

Lexus: Well, that's where it probably came from.

skipper1
06-29-2011, 06:52 AM
You say moisture behind the screen. What is your definition of screen. Do you mean inside the LED read out? If so, how could you or anyone get moisture in there, it's sealed. If it had moisture behind the screen or in the LED read out, it had to come from the factory with it already there and the owners are looking for someone to blame it on. This really doesn't smell right.

I'd call their bluff and tell them it wasn't there when you detailed the car and you don't appreciate the accusation and that you'll have your attorney contact them.

cutter
06-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Not to say it wasn't you, but I can imagine this was the extent of Lexus' detective work:

Lexus: Have you done anything to your car recently?

Customer: Yeah, I got it detailed

Lexus: Well, that's where it probably came from.

:iagree:

Flash Gordon
06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Here are your options:

1) Let Lexus replace the radio

2) Start Googling to try to find one thats been salvaged

3) Go to a local custom car audio store and ask if they can R&R and also dismantle and dry out the radio. The only problem here is, if its not perfect, your still going to be screwed. Plus out the money they charge you

4) Ignore the problem and suffer the consequences

If it were me, I would just dish out the $700 and call it a day. If you don't have the money, explain this to them and work out a payment plan

Sorry to here of your misfortune

Flash

maluminas
06-29-2011, 12:09 PM
The first time i saw the Tornador the first thing i thought was "No way, is this a joke?" lol

Personally i'm not sure i would blast high pressure aerosols on electronics or surfaces with lots of crevices when you dont know where infiltrations might end up...

Not saying that this is what caused it, though.

Dubbin1
06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
I doubt it was there before, looks like its time to man up and get it fixed or replace it.