PDA

View Full Version : Guest speaker?

Pages : [1] 2

ShaunD
06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
I was at a church car show going on three weeks ago now, and meet several of the Mustang owners. I introduced myself and my detailing business and handed out my card to all of the guys standing. One of the guys in the group that I found myself talking to the most ended up being the president of the SE Va. MC. He pretty much right away asked if I would be interested in guest speaking at his clubs next meeting. I was a little shocked and said that sounded great. He said I would have about 10 minutes to speak and answer questions, and I could stick around until the end to talk to some of the members that had further questions. With only 10 minutes to talk and not being a Ford owner, let alone a Mustang owner, I am a little concerned with how to start speaking to a bunch of enthusiast of a car that I have never owned. I don't want to come across as if none of the members know how to detail or take care of their cars and I am the only saving grace out there for them.
If anyone has experience speaking to clubs/groups about detailing and how to present yourself without sounding like you're there to bash their detailing habits and sell your business please feel free to fill me in on anything that what help this go smoothly for me, and the club members.:)
Thanks in advance for experiences to be shared.Feed back please

Y2KSVT
06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I'll start off by saying I am not a professional detailer. Personally, I think you should briefly introduce yourself and your business, and just provide some key points on how these guys can keep their prized vehicles looking great, or even better than great with a few pointers. Maybe come out with a few detailing items like two buckets and grit guards, and explain the importance of proper wash techniques. Depending on the group, they may have never used a clay bar in their lives, so that could be another point you hit on. You could even provide a quick demonstration on the fender of a (clean/prepped) vehicle on applying wax with a DA polisher, and the proper technique in removing wax. Some of these guys may still be using terry cloth or cotton towels to try and remove wax. You could introduce them to microfiber and possibly something like a rinseless wash.

To drum up some possible business, and depending on the size of the crowd, you could consider handing out a few small samples of a liquid wax or other maintenance product with your business card to people who approach you after the show.

Most importantly, this is the first impression these enthusiasts will have of you. You don't need to be the Sham-Wow guy, but a little enthusiasm on what you're speaking about will go a long way. Good luck!

EDIT: I thought I would add, you could add emphasis to making car cleaning easier, thus making it even more enjoyable. New tools such as the Daytona wheel brush has made me actually enjoy wheel cleaning!

Mark

Jons6.7
06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I am not a pro detailer but I have done my share(or more) of presentation's.

First off, don't worry about knowing or not knowing about Mustangs or even Ford's. I promise he did not invite you thinking you could give info/tips on the cars from a performance/history/handling side. I think its best to always talk about things your good and and things you love, this in your case is both.

I would agree with Y2KSVT in that you could take a few items like the grit guards and clay and your favorite soap/ONR and then verbally walk them through a standard detail you do. Highlighting the parts they can do by themselves and the best way to do it.

Take some printouts of before and after photos and some 50/50 ones to show people after who want to come see them.

This really is about you selling the idea of really taking there car's to the next level. You already know they care about the cars so your already half way there. Tell them you'll be happy to answer questions afterword and will happily give them pointers or tips on DIY. But realize that you do in fact want to sell them on YOU and what you can DO for them if they want to go all the way.

I would offer up the info on autogeek.net as a great place to learn and get the top of the line products, tips and service. This helps it not look just like a informercal for you, but provides "validation" should they want to look into the info you cover. AND gives them somewhere to get info so they don't call you constantly with any question they can come up with.

Mike Phillips
06-27-2011, 01:19 PM
It's a great opportunity and I would recommend taking it. I've been a guest speaker for many car clubs and it's your opportunity to show these people you know what you doing when it comes to detailing and this will open the door for you to earn the trust of the club members so that they will let you "touch" their babies.

10 minutes?

The biggest complaint among car owners is swirls in the paint and anyone that's been reading any detailing forum for any length of time knows that many people are afraid of machine polishing themselves and certainly won't let anyone else machine polish their pride and joy.

So here's your chance to share with them how safe machine polishing can be if you us the right pads, products and technique. You also need to drive home the point that machine polishing is also the most effective way to remove swirls, scratches and water spots our of clear coat paint as compared to working by hand.

I would share the Baggie Test too...

I'll type up some ideas later, working on a project that requires a lot of time but basically go over the basics of what you do or anyone would do to create a show car finish.

You'll have to talk fast and be concise, but cover these topics... if you do a good job they will know you know what you're talking about and will seek you out if they have more questions.

Introduction
Start by washing or wiping the car clean
Inspecting for aboves surface bonded contaminants, (claying)
Inspecting for swirls, show the Brinkmann - It's always an attention getter!
Remove defects by machine - The correction step
Polish to a high gloss by machine - refine the results from the correction step and maximize gloss, clarity, shine etc.
Seal the paint with a wax, sealant or coating
Maintaining - Spray Detailers, Spray Waxes, or higher you to do the work and then put them on a regular maintenance program, once a week, once month, twice a year... etc.
If you get one job, do your best and let word-of-mouth do the rest for you.

What tools do you use to do all your work?

I have article in my article list that will provide you with all the material and talking points you need.

:)

Perfections
06-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Mike of course nailed some great info, and I would only add that washing and drying vehicles is one of the major causes of swirls to really drive home the importance of proper washing techniques and like Mike said machine/product technology has come along way and has become safer for the average Joe to get close to show quality results right at their own home. Some will be willing to tackle the work themselves and some won't and hopefully those will be coming up to you asking for a business card :) gl!

mdb917
06-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Go for it!

10 Minutes is short but as Mike P. and others have pointed out you can cover a great deal of information in that amount of time. I would suggest having an outline of what you want to talk about. That will help keep you on track.

The other thing I'd like to add is that most members of car clubs typically are enthusiasts so make a good impression, be professional, have some fun with it and best of luck.

BobbyG
06-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Personally, I would love to speak to group of auto enthusiasts! I enjoy speaking to groups and detailing would be such a thrill. The problem I'd have is limiting myself to only 10 minutes!!

ShaunD
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
:xyxthumbs:Thanks everyone for the advice and input thus far. I already know some details of the members of this club from talking to a couple of the members, one being the president. The one member asked me about his 04 stang and what can be done for the water spotting that it has. He stated that he was afraid of machine polishers and would never trust himself with one. So I already filled him in on how safe machines are these days with DA's, and that I only use my rotary when the situation demands it. The president said a lot of the members could use my services and probably need claying and swirl removal. That being known gives me some material to go on. Along with you guys' input and Mike's outline I think I can get the important stuff/basics of a show car finish across to the members. I was told that there could be as many as 60 people at this meeting, as it is the club's monthly meeting. I am very excited, and nervous. I have public speaking experience from being in the Navy 11 years, so the biggest part of this for me will be sticking to an outline and keeping an eye on the time.
Thanks again for the help everyone and feel free to share anything else that comes to mind.
Just to give an idea of what I will bring for demo and to show that I have the equipment and products to go with my experience, here is a list:
Machines/equipment- Rotary polisher, PC 7424, Flex 3401, Brinkmann light, pad washer.
Products/chems- XMT line, WG twins, Fuzion, Pin. Sov., detail clay, rinse-less wash, MF towels/clothes(utility-plush)
Also, I will try to get some pics of before-and-afters printed; at least have on phone to show after:Picture:.
Will figure out the details with an outline soon.

ShaunD
06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Tell me about it BobbyG. I once turned a 5 minute power point for a college class into 20 minutes. Gotta write an outline and go through it a few times to make sure I can stick to 10 minutes. Plus I have to work in time for questions or just tell everyone to save questions for after and I will stick around 'til after the club is done with their business.

dougaross
06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
With only 10 minutes I think you will be off asking people to hold their questions.

BobbyG
06-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Tell me about it BobbyG. I once turned a 5 minute power point for a college class into 20 minutes. Gotta write an outline and go through it a few times to make sure I can stick to 10 minutes. Plus I have to work in time for questions or just tell everyone to save questions for after and I will stick around 'til after the club is done with their business.

Knock um dead Shaun!! :props:

Flash Gordon
06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I could lend you my Bowtie t-shirt if you'd like

ShaunD
06-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I could lend you my Bowtie t-shirt if you'd like

:dblthumb2: That would be awesome! I knew I was forgetting something.:laughing: I would def make an impression with that outfit.

Flash Gordon
06-27-2011, 06:57 PM
:dblthumb2: That would be awesome! I knew I was forgetting something.:laughing: I would def make an impression with that outfit.

I bet you would :argue:

Polishing paint is going to be an obvious topic, but be prepared to talk about metal polishing, stain removal, tar removal, car covers and what not

Upon closing, tell them your going to stick around untill after the meeting is over and if anyone has further questions, you would be happy to try and help them

Whenever I speak to an audience I focus on 1 individual

ShaunD
06-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the input/info Flash. I prob would have forgotten about those key items since I don't deal with them often with the vehicle I normally do. I did buy a Flitz kit anticipating I would use it on my neighbors son's Ram with Al wheels, but, never happened. Anyway...
I will right down everything from this thread and then some and put it all together for my 10 min. speech. Any insight on a Mustang club specific flyer to have made up and hand out to these guys? I am thinking of directing everything towards show car detailing, with emphasis on thorough cleaning; i.e. two bucket wash, Iron-X, bug/tar removal, claying, and wheel decontamination. Know already that some if not most of the members fear machine polishers I will focus some on take away that fear and showing proof through my work.
Thanks again fellow Auto-Geekers.:props: