PDA

View Full Version : Kompressor Pad Question

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Just a quick question about the Kompressor pads.

I was wondering what the big difference is between it (the purple cutting pad) and other compounding pads like LC orange or Meguiars maroon.

I own a Griots and a Flex 3401....I'm not sure if the compressor is best used on a rotary or if it is usable on one of those polishers as well. If i can get some feedback on these pads i'd appreciate it.

thanks all

93fox
06-27-2011, 12:41 AM
never used them before, but i have read a lot of people here use them mostly for rotary.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-27-2011, 12:46 AM
never used them before, but i have read a lot of people here use them mostly for rotary.

Thats the next big purchase on my list...a rotary...then i think i'll FINALLY (4 polishers later) be set for polishers!

93fox
06-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Rotary was my first purchase before a DA. I rarely use my Griots DA for correction, Ive only had the rotary in my hands for about 5 months and i have produced flawless finishes with it. Its all in the practice, but hey, Hydrotech Pads with the rotary is a dream come true for me. They work so damn well IMO...:xyxthumbs:

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Rotary was my first purchase before a DA. I rarely use my Griots DA for correction, Ive only had the rotary in my hands for about 5 months and i have produced flawless finishes with it. Its all in the practice, but hey, Hydrotech Pads with the rotary is a dream come true for me. They work so damn well IMO...:xyxthumbs:

You have any write ups of work you've done on here? What pad (size/type of hydro) and chemical combo do you like to use? I like my DA but need to bump up to a rotary for certain jobs...though not using a rotary got me a job today lol. a guy who owns this SWEET 10' Camaro SS...772 HP (engine had more chrome than anything i'd ever seen) but the first guy who did it left holograms so he was scared of rotaries. The holograms are light...and so are the swirls...but they are everywhere (the car is black so its real visable up close). I think the Megs DA MF system will knock it out...since they're so light..then i'll follow up with 205 and a nice wax...but I'm just totally off subject now aren't i lol?

93fox
06-27-2011, 01:08 AM
You have any write ups of work you've done on here? What pad (size/type of hydro) and chemical combo do you like to use? I like my DA but need to bump up to a rotary for certain jobs...though not using a rotary got me a job today lol. a guy who owns this SWEET 10' Camaro SS...772 HP (engine had more chrome than anything i'd ever seen) but the first guy who did it left holograms so he was scared of rotaries. The holograms are light...and so are the swirls...but they are everywhere (the car is black so its real visable up close). I think the Megs DA MF system will knock it out...since they're so light..then i'll follow up with 205 and a nice wax...but I'm just totally off subject now aren't i lol?

i use 5.5 pads with m105 and m205. If im doing a final jewel step i use po85rd. The trick that i found with the rotary is moving at a slow pace and doing 50/50 over lapping passes up and down and side to side. Heres the thing about holograms and swirls, I have seen that they are done by using a wool pad. Many people out there just throw compound and a wool pad and go to town. But they dont follow it up. I love wool pads and yes they leave a nasty finish but they sure do cut as hell. But wool pads always need a follow up. Now ill tell you this, when it comes to jeweling, nothing comes close to the results you get with a rotary. I actually compared this and was amazed at the difference between a DA and a rotary for jeweling!

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/oscar0990/IMG_0547.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/oscar0990/IMG_0548.jpg

all done with a rotary, pulled it out and washed it and had 0 holograms.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-27-2011, 01:19 AM
i use 5.5 pads with m105 and m205. If im doing a final jewel step i use po85rd. The trick that i found with the rotary is moving at a slow pace and doing 50/50 over lapping passes up and down and side to side. Heres the thing about holograms and swirls, I have seen that they are done by using a wool pad. Many people out there just throw compound and a wool pad and go to town. But they dont follow it up. I love wool pads and yes they leave a nasty finish but they sure do cut as hell. But wool pads always need a follow up. Now ill tell you this, when it comes to jeweling, nothing comes close to the results you get with a rotary. I actually compared this and was amazed at the difference between a DA and a rotary for jeweling!

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/oscar0990/IMG_0547.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/oscar0990/IMG_0548.jpg

all done with a rotary, pulled it out and washed it and had 0 holograms.

She looks beauteous my man. So you actually go as small as 5.5" pads with a rotary huh? Do you use blue or orange (cyan or tangerine i think they're called) to cut with...and do you use the low profile pads or the thicker ones?

Also with the wool...when do you decide to use it...since it 'leaves a nasty finish' as you said. And if you say, compound with 105 and wool...do you then compound again with 105 and a foam pad instead...and then go to 205? Also, what's you're 'jeweling' technique...i've read on it here and there but never went too deep into what it is cause...i dont have a rotary! (what one do you have anyway?)

Funny we're finally talking on a thread OTHER than the damn headlights thread lol

93fox
06-27-2011, 01:35 AM
She looks beauteous my man. So you actually go as small as 5.5" pads with a rotary huh? Do you use blue or orange (cyan or tangerine i think they're called) to cut with...and do you use the low profile pads or the thicker ones?

Also with the wool...when do you decide to use it...since it 'leaves a nasty finish' as you said. And if you say, compound with 105 and wool...do you then compound again with 105 and a foam pad instead...and then go to 205? Also, what's you're 'jeweling' technique...i've read on it here and there but never went too deep into what it is cause...i dont have a rotary! (what one do you have anyway?)

Funny we're finally talking on a thread OTHER than the damn headlights thread lol

Haha those damn headlights. Heres the the thing with the rotary, that thing can man handle you if not used correctly. 5.5 pads are a breeze to control. Also, with rotaries the pad has to be 100% centered to the backing plate. If its not fully centered the pad will hop and be hard to control. Right now i only have the thick hydrotech pads but will be buying the thin ones. Actually when i use wool pads i use m95. It cuts alot and has a good working time. After that i follow it up with the cyan pad and m105 and then tangerine with m205 and then the crimison with po85rd. Jeweling is the last step that pretty much adds that deep finishing look. I jewel at around 1000-1200 rpm. It also eliminates any holograms left and just produces a great finish. By the way, i own a makita. I love it, its well built all around and feels amazing. Im currently saving up to buy the new flex rotary.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
06-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Haha those damn headlights. Heres the the thing with the rotary, that thing can man handle you if not used correctly. 5.5 pads are a breeze to control. Also, with rotaries the pad has to be 100% centered to the backing plate. If its not fully centered the pad will hop and be hard to control. Right now i only have the thick hydrotech pads but will be buying the thin ones. Actually when i use wool pads i use m95. It cuts alot and has a good working time. After that i follow it up with the cyan pad and m105 and then tangerine with m205 and then the crimison with po85rd. Jeweling is the last step that pretty much adds that deep finishing look. I jewel at around 1000-1200 rpm. It also eliminates any holograms left and just produces a great finish. By the way, i own a makita. I love it, its well built all around and feels amazing. Im currently saving up to buy the new flex rotary.

Check your PM