PDA

View Full Version : Im going double sided! Need educated opinions.

Garry Dean
06-26-2011, 06:01 PM
I am putting together an Autogeek order for this week and I have decided that Id like to try double sided wool pads for cutting with my Makita.

I am debating the Meguiars, the Optimum, and the 3m.

Anyone tried all 3? Price doesnt matter to me. I just want something durable that cuts well.

What can you tell me about your experience with any of them?

Jhaight11
06-26-2011, 06:06 PM
i personally hate 3m wool pads (double sided or not) they shed soo much. no experience with megs or opt.

Garry Dean
06-26-2011, 06:09 PM
i personally hate 3m wool pads (double sided or not) they shed soo much. no experience with megs or opt.

The double sided 3m pad is low linting.

3M Perfect-It Low Linting 8" Wool Pad, 3m perfect it low linting 8 inch wool pad double sided, no lint wool pad, 3M perfect it rubbing compound pad (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-low-linting-wool-pad.html)

IID
06-26-2011, 06:53 PM
I personally have/use the Optimum single sided 8".When new,it did have very little(minimal) linting the first use,after that good to go.
I have Not tried the other 2,but the Optimum does cut well.

Garry Dean
06-26-2011, 07:43 PM
I personally have/use the Optimum single sided 8".When new,it did have very little(minimal) linting the first use,after that good to go.
I have Not tried the other 2,but the Optimum does cut well.

Thanks for the Optimum info.

Anyone else?

I may just order one of each and do a video review.

Dr Oldz
06-26-2011, 08:35 PM
I have the 3M and the Megs. The Megs cuts a little bit faster IMO but the 3M finishes a bit better. I usually grab the Megs tho. I really don't remember either linting too badly. I haven't tried the OPT one...SRY.

Garry Dean
06-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I have the 3M and the Megs. The Megs cuts a little bit faster IMO but the 3M finishes a bit better. I usually grab the Megs tho. I really don't remember either linting too badly. I haven't tried the OPT one...SRY.

Thanks for the info. I think its funny when people whine about how a cutting pad finishes. Of course the paint isn't going to be crystal clear after compounding. You have to follow your cutting with polishing and finishing. So who cares how they finish.

I am leaning towards the megs, especially after I just realized that I will need the 50 dollar adapter for the 3m pad.

Garry Dean
06-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Anyone today?

Garry Dean
06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
bump