PDA

View Full Version : Any Recommendations for a Tent for Mobile Detailing

artofdetailing
06-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Anytime I have a question, the great people on this forum seem to always have an intelligent answer. Does anybody use a tent right now for mobile detailing that works really well? detailing in 90 plus degree weather with the sun beaming right down on your neck makes things really tough. Any solutions?

ScubaCougr
06-27-2011, 11:26 AM
It's only cracked 80 once so far this year, but I am going to swipe the 10x10 shelter off our patio for my next mobile job. Just being able to keep part of the car shaded should help the compounds behave, etc.,

I've read several warnings about being sure to weight the canopies down so they don't get caught in an unexpected gust of wind.

TheCougarGuy
06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
I was detailing a car on Saturday and I told my buddy that I wished I had one of those 10 x 10 EZ-UP tents. Just as long as it was anchored down in case of wind it would work out great.

Mike Moore
06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
I've gone through about 4 to 5 "regular" 10x10 tents.
I have had the legs bend and make the tent unusable.

I recently purchased Coleman Instant Shelter Grey (10 X 10) at Target.
The thickness of the legs from the "regular" appeared to be almost double.
I also, purchased Quick Shade leg weights from D#ck's Sporting goods.
FYI - The leg weights keep the tent from moving in small wind gusts.

In real heavy wind and rain it's not the best. It tends to move & leak.
It can be done by one person, real good shade and keeps the car cool.

I've used it about two dozen times with not issues at all.

Good Luck!

ObsessiveAutoDetail
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I have had the same 10x10 EZ-Up for going on four seasons now. I have four five gallon buckets filled with bricks (actually what was left of my front porch before I added a deck) I use as anchors. I treat the canopy with 303 Fabric Guard each spring. No problems. However, I do not leave it up when I'm not using it.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Do the tents *without sidewalls* still block out the sun?

ObsessiveAutoDetail
06-27-2011, 12:34 PM
As far as I'm concerned... when the sun is low enough to peek through the sides of my canopy, it's not intense enough to be of any issue.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Mike Moore
06-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Do the tents *without sidewalls* still block out the sun?

I have found that at times one side or the other may have sun on the vehicle.

I pull the vehicle out and turn it around. I.E hood in the shade left side in sun.

Pull it out and back the vehicle in...Trunk in the shade left side in the shade.

TMD
06-27-2011, 02:00 PM
We purchased a canopy through Caravan Canopies, based out of California, four years ago and use it multiple times a day. It's 10 x 15 with our name and number on top, and it also came with two sides and weights. Grand total was in the ballpark of $1,000.00, but well worth it. Parts and accessories can be ordered through them as well.

The weights are twenty lbs each, but for days when we know the winds will pick up, we have four sheets of plywood (2' x 4') that we attach to the bottom of the legs and then drive the vehicle on top of. Sustains a lot of wind.

Sinbad
06-27-2011, 02:44 PM
I have tried different brands of pop ups over the years and the only one that actually stays together is EZ-UP. We use ours for different applications and the EZ-UP have handled everything that we have asked. The others are bolted together and seem to fall aprt after a few uses. If it was just a nut and a bolt it would be easy, but there are also plastic shims and size specific washers that are also lost making the frame almost useless.

Keep your eyes open and look for sales. We found ours at a sporting goods store for $99.00 and it is a 10X10. Works great, folds up nice and has a wheel bag.

Just my experience but Good luck on whatever you decide.

jay trader
06-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I have found that at times one side or the other may have sun on the vehicle.

I pull the vehicle out and turn it around. I.E hood in the shade left side in sun.

Pull it out and back the vehicle in...Trunk in the shade left side in the shade.

Coleman Screen Walls for Instant Shelter - Grey : Target (http://www.target.com/Coleman-Screen-Walls-Instant-Shelter/dp/B002YXP5LU/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_2_title/188-1573843-7241063)

It looks like for about 42 bucks at Target you can get some walls for the Coleman pop up tent.

I think I'll pick up one of these pop ups and the walls this week.

MatthewM
06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I work at a business that rents out 20'x30' tents. Today the wind was crazy. I literary was lifted off of the ground when holding the top piece down as someone else staked it down!

However, I think that in a normal situation my 10x10 ez-up with weights would work. But in heavy wind, anything is possible.