PDA

View Full Version : megs sanding discs

jamores23
06-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I used my disc 1500 and 3000 via DA for the first time the other day. I know it states it has no bite in the beginning. How long till it actually starts sanding? how many panels can one disc do? "3 in disc" I did a pair of headlights with them and they seemed to lose there bite pretty quick. Also, how long should I soak them before using and how much water "ONR MIX" should I use when spraying the panel i am going to work on? The discs are a reddish color and while sanding It builds up a red film?? I would love to perfect these discs down for future jobs because it def helps get things done faster!

Jhaight11
06-26-2011, 11:29 AM
if they are anything like the 3m trizact disc's they are for DAMP sanding, not WET sanding. you dont need much water to get them going and too much water wont let the abrasives work. dont soak them. 1 or 2 spritz of water on the pad and panel will be enough and should last a long time.

2old2change
06-26-2011, 03:14 PM
How long each disc last depends on the condition of what you are sanding and how free of debris you keep the disc while working. While doing headlights I keep a spray bottle of water handy with maybe a drop or two of car wash soap added. You don't need to flood the area but keep it damp and the paper clean. After a little trial and error you will get the hang of it. A practice panel and and a scrap set of headlamps would go a long way in gaining all the experience and confidence you need. :dblthumb2:

jamores23
06-26-2011, 03:53 PM
thanks guys!

jamores23
07-01-2011, 05:53 PM
when sanding a 6 month old paint job that never got sanded after the paint job, what grit should I use? what am i trying to actually achieve? removal of orange peel or just a more uniform layer?

C. Charles Hahn
07-01-2011, 09:58 PM
when sanding a 6 month old paint job that never got sanded after the paint job, what grit should I use? what am i trying to actually achieve? removal of orange peel or just a more uniform layer?

What does the customer want you to achieve? What sort of defects exist with the paint job as it sits?

Or, let's go one step further:

Can you explain to me what the purpose of sanding and buffing a paint job is? If you can't, you should really do some more reading and research before you take on that type of job.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/25915-damp-sanding-tools-tips-techniques-mike-phillips.html

93fox
07-01-2011, 11:36 PM
What does the customer want you to achieve? What sort of defects exist with the paint job as it sits?

Or, let's go one step further:

Can you explain to me what the purpose of sanding and buffing a paint job is? If you can't, you should really do some more reading and research before you take on that type of job.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/25915-damp-sanding-tools-tips-techniques-mike-phillips.html

Id like to answer the question. Even if it wasent for me, but id like to say what i believe the purpose is and then you can shine some knowledge on me. I believe the purpose of sanding paint is done in order to achieve certain things. One mainly is orange peel removal. After a paintjob has been done wetsanding must be done in order to match the orang peel to the rest of the car. Some painters are good enough to nail it and not having to sand and buff to match the rest of the car. Its a real horror looking at an even panel and then looking at the next looking like an actual orange. Another reason is to achieve a show car finish. Meaning completely removing all the orange peel to level out the clear to complete flatness. Once the clear is completely leveled evenly and flat the look after being buffed is just outstanding, a complete show car finish. Another reason for sanding is to remove scratches that are deep or RIDS that are scattered all over the paint. RIDS and deep scratches can not be removed by just buffing and sanding will level out the clear and remove the scratches. In conclusion i believe the whole point behind sanding is to level the clear to a state that onced buffed it looks perfect. Leveling the clear is what gives the best superior shine and clarity. This is obviously what i believe from all the sanding ive done. It has helped me remove defects and achieve a good finish with clarity.

jamores23
07-02-2011, 08:43 AM
I mean, I figured I would be trying to achieve a better finish obviously, its actually my car "my other car" a 96 integra with a full jdm front end conversion with a gsr swap on boost. We took it to get painted about 5 months ago and recently when we took the motor apart to fix some things the painter had wrote his name all over it, long story short he was trying to steal the car... so, that being that, im not taking it to him "which he owes us the sanding part" to finish the job, Id much rather do it myself he probaly sucks at sanding and buffing anyways...

Mike Phillips
07-02-2011, 09:31 AM
. How long till it actually starts sanding?

2-4 passes, if you're working on a clear coat you'll see a white slurry start to form. If you're working on a single stage you'll see a colored slurry start to form.

Look at the pictures from our advanced classes on wetsanding and I've posted pictures and commentary.

Pictures From Sunday Detailing 102 Advanced Class (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-sunday-detailing-102-advanced-class/)

Also, how long should I soak them before using and how much water "ONR MIX" should I use when spraying the panel i am going to work on?

You don't soak them at all, read through the link Charles provided...

The discs are a reddish color and while sanding It builds up a red film??

I've never seen a mauve or red film, just the color of the paint I'm sanding.

:)

C. Charles Hahn
07-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Id like to answer the question. Even if it wasent for me, but id like to say what i believe the purpose is and then you can shine some knowledge on me. I believe the purpose of sanding paint is done in order to achieve certain things. One mainly is orange peel removal. After a paintjob has been done wetsanding must be done in order to match the orang peel to the rest of the car. Some painters are good enough to nail it and not having to sand and buff to match the rest of the car. Its a real horror looking at an even panel and then looking at the next looking like an actual orange. Another reason is to achieve a show car finish. Meaning completely removing all the orange peel to level out the clear to complete flatness. Once the clear is completely leveled evenly and flat the look after being buffed is just outstanding, a complete show car finish. Another reason for sanding is to remove scratches that are deep or RIDS that are scattered all over the paint. RIDS and deep scratches can not be removed by just buffing and sanding will level out the clear and remove the scratches. In conclusion i believe the whole point behind sanding is to level the clear to a state that onced buffed it looks perfect. Leveling the clear is what gives the best superior shine and clarity. This is obviously what i believe from all the sanding ive done. It has helped me remove defects and achieve a good finish with clarity.

Good answer(s), Oscar! As a painter yourself I'm sure you understand that the goals you mentioned (matching the rest of the finish vs. complete orange peel removal for a "show finish," or using sanding as a means to remove RIDS) depend totally on the situation and the type of job you're working on. I was trying to get jamores to think along those same lines.

Mike's article(s) on the subject get more in depth to describe when and why to use each process as well, which is why I referenced them.

My belief is that unless a person understands and can articulate what the end goal and purpose of a given procedure is (why they're doing what they're doing), they are going to have a hard time understanding what they're doing as well.

I mean, I figured I would be trying to achieve a better finish obviously, its actually my car "my other car" a 96 integra with a full jdm front end conversion with a gsr swap on boost. We took it to get painted about 5 months ago and recently when we took the motor apart to fix some things the painter had wrote his name all over it, long story short he was trying to steal the car... so, that being that, im not taking it to him "which he owes us the sanding part" to finish the job, Id much rather do it myself he probaly sucks at sanding and buffing anyways...

OK, so the whole car was painted.... do you know how many coats of clear were applied? Are you looking to make the car a driver, or a show car?

jamores23
07-02-2011, 03:42 PM
yes the whole car was painted, I wasnt the one who took it or picked it up, so i have no idea about the clear, and its not a show car, im actually selling it, so Just a quick job is what im looking for :)

93fox
07-02-2011, 04:54 PM
yes the whole car was painted, I wasnt the one who took it or picked it up, so i have no idea about the clear, and its not a show car, im actually selling it, so Just a quick job is what im looking for :)

Is the paint in bad condition? Why do you want to sand it? If your looking to sell it, and want the paint to look good. Id do some light sanding with 1500 to remove a few imperfections and some orange peel. Buff it out and will look nice. Just an idea.

C. Charles Hahn
07-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Is the paint in bad condition? Why do you want to sand it? If your looking to sell it, and want the paint to look good. Id do some light sanding with 1500 to remove a few imperfections and some orange peel. Buff it out and will look nice. Just an idea.

:iagree: The only reason I could see for trying to sand it is to learn how the process works. However if there's no way of knowing how much clear there is to work with, it can be a risky proposition.

Mike Phillips
07-02-2011, 05:13 PM
What color is the basecoat?

:)

jamores23
07-02-2011, 05:19 PM
black