PDA

View Full Version : Need help again

Prophizee
06-26-2011, 07:24 AM
So last fri I was claying my car and everything was going fine; exceptional actually, when I noticed a few hairline scratches on my carbon fiber roof which is factory installed. So I went and got some compound to try to buff it off. First I used an OTC one the meguiars ultimate compound no luck. Then I tried the Wolfgang swirl remover 3.0 and still no luck. I decided then I was going to purchase the PC dual action polisher which I did. Now my question is can I use a polisher on the carbon fiber roof. It's a 2011 BMW m3 coupe, and secondly do you guys think the scratch will come off. I did the finger nail test and I could not feel it so it can't be that deep. Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Best regards

BobbyG
06-26-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm assuming that even though the roof is carbon fiber it's still painted and clear coated.

Attempting paint correction by hand takes quite a bit of time and will never yield comparable results of a polisher. A dual action polisher and appropriate pads will most likely make short work on any minor imperfections you have.

Prophizee
06-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Well I got the complete pc polish kit the one for 225 do you that will suffice or should I buy a different pad or pads I mean

Jhaight11
06-26-2011, 11:13 AM
what kit? can you link us too it?

Prophizee
06-26-2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.autogeekmobile.net/porter-cable-7424-kit.html.... This is the one I got
Best regards

S2K
06-26-2011, 01:32 PM
I'll go ahead and say it: you will need 5.5" pads for that 5" backing plate. The 6.5" pads that come with the kit won't work with a 5" bp. That is the kit no one on here understands.

Prophizee
06-26-2011, 04:37 PM
On the description of the kit it says that for 5 inch backing plate at 6.5 inch pad is recommend to reduce error

Rsurfer
06-26-2011, 04:53 PM
On the description of the kit it says that for 5 inch backing plate at 6.5 inch pad is recommend to reduce error
Like Dave said, get the 5.5" pads. The DA is not powerful enough to spin the bigger 6.5" pads. You will get correction, but it will take you twice as long compared to using the smaller 5.5" pads. 1" doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference.

Prophizee
06-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Which pads do you guys recommend

Jhaight11
06-26-2011, 06:42 PM
either LC flat or hydro-tec pads (5.5in of coarse)

bigaizsosexy
06-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Can you show us pictures of the lateral scratches in the clear? It would help us decide which route you should go.

BobbyG
06-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Which pads do you guys recommend

There are allot of options out there for paint correction. Take a look at the pad and description. Typically I'll use a Yellow and Orange for heavy correction. These combined with Menzerna Power-Gloss POSS34A or Meguiar's M105.

Lake Country Pads

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

A new product from the folks at Meguiar's is their Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System. This is a 2 pad, 2 product system that seems to have a nice following and it's acceptance is growing.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html)

Prophizee
06-26-2011, 11:02 PM
I didn't make one thing clear about to scratch. The carbon roof is not painted just cleared idk if that would make any difference. Apologies gentlemen for leaving that out
Best regards