PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washer or Porter cable

lucky472
06-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I have a new car and have already bought a fair amount of car care products from here. I'm ready to make my next purchase. Would you buy a 1700psi electric pressure washer or a pc7424 (i think thats the number). By the time I get both plus some accessories, they will cost about the same. I tend to wash my car every week using a two bucket method. I'll end up getting both fairly soon, but which one would you get? I know theres tons of other choices and preferences, but I'm just asking for you to decide between the two for now. Thanks

Jhaight11
06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
if you end up getting both get the pc first. you can already wash your car without a PW while the pc can do many different things from exterior to interior.

Mobile detail
06-25-2011, 06:25 PM
I'd get the pc first. Pw is great but you can do more with a pc.

HighFive
06-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm don't know if you have ever used a pressure washer on a car before. They are good for getting off a lot of the dirt and grit especially in the fender wells but will still leave a film on the surface. You will still need to hand wash if you want to get your car really clean.

I have a 2000 PSI gas washer that I use when the car is really dirty or covered with salt in the winter. I cover it with foam from a foam gun first before hitting it with the pressure washer and then wash in the normal matter. I think this helps to prevent swirls from washing when a lot of grit is on the surface.

I vote for the Porter Cable first.

rider9195
06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Definitely the PC first. I don't find it necessary to use a pressure washer unless I want to strip LSP's.

JonMiles
06-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd go with the pressure washer and a foam cannon first. The pressure washer can be used both on your car and around the house for sidings, driveway, decks etc. The foam cannon makes cleaning the car more fun imo and brings some peace of mind with the way it loosens things up. If your car is new it probably just needs a light polishing if any polishing at all providing you have taken car of it well.

lucky472
06-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd go with the pressure washer and a foam cannon first. The pressure washer can be used both on your car and around the house for sidings, driveway, decks etc. The foam cannon makes cleaning the car more fun imo and brings some peace of mind with the way it loosens things up. If your car is new it probably just needs a light polishing if any polishing at all providing you have taken car of it well.

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but I understand everyones opinion which is why I'm looking for more feedback. I have a brand new candy white gti and under the lights, you can't see any swirl marks. I do a two bucket wash every week followed by a quick detail with dodo juice red tropical mist. I've also given it 2 hand waxings in the 3 months that I've owned it with dodo light fantastic which seems to be amazing on my white car.

ROMEO
06-25-2011, 10:52 PM
How often do you wash, and how often would you polish?

05RLS2
06-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Did the dealer throw in one of their complimentary washes when you bought the car? If so, you're probably going to need that PC first

BobbyG
06-26-2011, 06:21 AM
BPW - Before Power Washers :laughing:

Since I was a boy I've been washing my vehicles the old fashioned way; by hand. A power washer is a "nice to have" but it isn't an essential in detailing especially if your a hobbyist.

Invest in the Porter Cable dual action polisher, appropriate backing plates, and a supply of pads and correction products.

You'll be glad you did! :props: