PDA

View Full Version : opti seal

audiophile64
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I just applied a carnauba wax and detail earlier today and was wondering if I can apply opti seal over it in the sun.I know I should have done the optiseal first (this car is only two weeks old) but I forgot I had some in my cellar, unused.If I try to apply now over the carnauba will I get blotchy appearance and smearing? The car is light silver metallic.

fancyfootwork
06-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Would be pointless. Re-wash the car with APC and Dawn (or similar) to strip the wax. Then apply opti-seal and then a wax (if you prefer).

Elite Pro
06-25-2011, 04:53 PM
I know I should have done the optiseal first (this car is only two weeks old)

Try a test spot, like half the trunk or something- or wait a few weeks, strip the 'nuba & do it 'right' next time

Perfections
06-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Opti seal is supposedly supposed to mitigate under the carnuba, personally either way with how easy it is to apply I'd just put it on top of the wax. It's not gonna smear as long as you use it correctly, if you have to do it in the sun spray a mf towel folded into 4ths with 2-3 sprays, then spray the surface of the vehicle and spread, it will flash quickly

mbkite
06-25-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with perfections

Dubbin1
06-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Optimum claims OS will work its way below a wax.

audiophile64
06-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the fast replies.Perfection is right I just applied it using the supplied foam pad and now I know what you mean when you say alittle goes a long way.This was my first time using and flashed quickly as you said.Kept a clean microfiber towel just in case but was not really needed just lightly swiped surface to make sure no smearing,looks good on my 2011 silver ice metallic cruze eco.:xyxthumbs:

Chris Thomas
06-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Opti seal is supposedly supposed to mitigate under the carnuba, personally either way with how easy it is to apply I'd just put it on top of the wax. It's not gonna smear as long as you use it correctly, if you have to do it in the sun spray a mf towel folded into 4ths with 2-3 sprays, then spray the surface of the vehicle and spread, it will flash quickly
I think you meant migrate not mitigate, lol. And yes it will reposition the wax to the top. Apply OS with very light pressure so that the solvents don't bring the wax off onto your applicator.

Setec Astronomy
06-25-2011, 05:58 PM
looks good on my 2011 silver ice metallic cruze eco.:xyxthumbs:

Oh man and you're going to get an extra .64 mpg now that way that baby is going to slice through the air...