PDA

View Full Version : Using dessicants year round?

05RLS2
06-25-2011, 03:25 AM
I know that many people use dessicant bags to place in the interior or or trunk whenever storing vehicles for the winter, but does anyone happen to use them year round in their cars? Since it's pretty humind for the most part year round here, I figured that this could be a goood option to keep moisture and dampness in the air out of the interior cabin. I don't know if this will actually work the best or not, but just thinking. Does anyone else here use them? Do you all think that it'd be a good idea to use these year round on a vehicle with leather interior?

Jons6.7
06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
I use them in my gun safe's, and its not hardly humid here in Southern Cal and I still need to refresh them often.

If you have humidity and open windows there is no way they are going to do you much good for more than a few min max. If you have a closed air space like a tight glove box then maybe but otherwise the reason they work in long term storage is that once they get the air dry its stays dry because you should have no air flow.

oldmodman
06-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I use them in my gun safe's, and its not hardly humid here in Southern Cal and I still need to refresh them often.

Same with me. I bought a few dozen bags of re-useable dessicant in one pound cloth bags and use them in my storage closet that is full of broadcast electronics. I have to "recharge" the bags every week. And I keep five in there at a time. To recharge them I put them in my oven for a few hours to dry them out. Then they go right into a vacuum bag until I need to use them. And we seldom have a day with 'high humidity" here in Los Angeles.
I can't imagine what you folks in the south, east coast, or mid west have to put up with.

05RLS2
06-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Same with me. I bought a few dozen bags of re-useable dessicant in one pound cloth bags and use them in my storage closet that is full of broadcast electronics. I have to "recharge" the bags every week. And I keep five in there at a time. To recharge them I put them in my oven for a few hours to dry them out. Then they go right into a vacuum bag until I need to use them. And we seldom have a day with 'high humidity" here in Los Angeles.
I can't imagine what you folks in the south, east coast, or mid west have to put up with.
So basically they will be worthles in a car that is being driven I take it, seeing as the doors will be opened. Wish there was another solution.

I love So Cal weather, even when it's in the 100s. I can deal with that no problem, but 90 degree weather with high humidity in the south east just flat out sucks