PDA

View Full Version : MF towels no good to clean leather?

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
I think I read this somewhere from a leather "expert". Anyone care to comment?

rwright
06-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Subscribed. Don't want to miss anything Im the MAN

C. Charles Hahn
06-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Hmm... well I did just recently switch over to using cotton terry myself, and I can say that the cleaning action is a bit faster that way... but I'm not exactly sure why.

judyb
06-25-2011, 12:41 AM
We have always taught that it is best practice not to use microfibres cloths to clean leather. Dirt does damage to the finish on leather and as microfibres have a 'grab' to them if the finish is damaged there is a danger that the cloths will remove more than the dirt from the leather in certain instances.
The cleaning product should be doing the work rather than the tools you
are using to clean. Foam cleaners are far more effective for this reason as they can be left on the surface to gently lift the dirt which can then be removed with paper or terry towels.
Hope this helps
Judyb

WRAPT C5Z06
06-25-2011, 12:43 AM
We have always taught that it is best practice not to use microfibres cloths to clean leather. Dirt does damage to the finish on leather and as microfibres have a 'grab' to them if the finish is damaged there is a danger that the cloths will remove more than the dirt from the leather in certain instances.
The cleaning product should be doing the work rather than the tools you
are using to clean. Foam cleaners are far more effective for this reason as they can be left on the surface to gently lift the dirt which can then be removed with paper or terry towels.
Hope this helps
Judyb
Thanks. I think you were the one I originally read this from.

buddhadog
06-25-2011, 03:40 AM
I also read this in a mercedes owners manual not to use MF for leater because it will eat away at the finish over time.

wytstang
06-25-2011, 04:30 AM
I remember judyb saying not to use mf due to the "bit" it has. Paper towels is what I use for now.

BobbyG
06-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Hey Mark,

I don't use Microfiber on leather either. I've found a good old terrycloth face or hand towel to be just about perfect for cleaning leather seats. It's heavy enough and allows enough cleaning solution to be absorbed so that I can bear down on it for proper cleaning.

I find Microfiber towels are best suited "mostly" on the exterior.

flektone
06-25-2011, 07:43 AM
its probably the product not the towel that detroys the leather over time. ive used micro fibers on my cars leather for 10 years with no problems. I also dont use any kind of cleaning solution. Just dampen the towel with warm water and wipe everything down.

ScottB
06-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I like the MF wax applicators personally as you can control where it goes and stops. Never noted any big difference using them.

Bunky
06-25-2011, 11:35 AM
its probably the product not the towel that detroys the leather over time. ive used micro fibers on my cars leather for 10 years with no problems.

I suspect just getting in out of the seats does more wear and tear than any reasonably used applicator (mf, foam, etc).

mg6045
06-25-2011, 12:51 PM
i have read this as well, but i'm not buying into it. with that said, an applicator is for sure better suited for concentrated cleaning rather than a towel. I use a microfiber applicator.

But for drying the seats I use a microfiber towel that has open fingers rather than loops. I think its the loops that make any towel have an abrasive action to them. which is why you see all microfiber wash pads with open fingers rather than loops (like the shamrock old school towels, or the bone MF wash mitt).

If your afraid of using looped MF towels, than looped terry towels are FOR SURE the wrong direction to go in, as there more abrasive than MF. If you want to use terry, I would think the cotton terry applicators would be the way to go (no loops, just a mesh absorption style).

Roger Koh
06-25-2011, 01:08 PM
I think I read this somewhere from a leather "expert". Anyone care to comment?

I have many a times been introduced to use MF for cleaning leather, tried but never continue to used them.

Terry towel remains my first choice, follows with washable rags as the second choice. Depending on the volume of suspended soiling needed to be extracted and the surface contact has to be achieved.

Roger Koh
info@leatherdoctor.com (info@leatherdoctor.com)

judyb
06-25-2011, 02:30 PM
If you are using a foam cleaner which is the safer method, the dirt becomes suspended in the foam and is then lifted off with an absorbent material, either paper towel which can be thrown away or terry towel which can be washed. The actual cleaning should be done by the product which can be gently agitated with either a sponge (not a magic sponge) or a stiff bristled brush (used gently - not to scrub)
This process has been tested thoroughly over a period of 2 decades and still remains a favoured method in the cleaning industry.
There is no need to use a cloth or sponge that is designed to remove things from solid surfaces as it should always be the product that is doing the work.
Hope this helps
Judyb

Dubbin1
06-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Sounds like hogwash to me. I'm sure your clothes do more damage than any MF towel.