PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Need To Clean A 61 Foot Viking

Pages : [1] 2

609speed6
06-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey guy my uncle has a 61 foot viking sport fishing boat and he wants me to clean it and wax what would I need for the job and how much should I charage do the outside of it. The boat is in the water so it is going to me lil tricky

BobbyG
06-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Allot of time, experiance and plenty of help!!

Jsuro
06-24-2011, 05:51 PM
You need a wood raft with fenders for polishing the hull, they're usually made of plywood. There are always one or two in every marina but you will have to pay someone for using them. Topsides are easier but it's all done out in the Sun so do small areas and quickly remove products. A couple more people wouldn't hurt. 61 is a big boat.

DO NOT drop the polishers in the water :). Use waterproof connector covers for the extensions as well.

Jose

Garry Dean
06-24-2011, 06:07 PM
You're gonna need some prayers and a miracle.

V3AutoDetailing
06-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Thats a huge boat. Hope you got some help.

JonMiles
06-24-2011, 06:32 PM
First, make sure to charge hourly. That boat is going to take a long time to complete and the total time is based on experience, help, condition of the boat, weather, tides, seagulls, products, tools, personal health, etc etc. Also, it all depends on whether you are just washing it or polishing every inch. Are you going to dive and work on the bottom? Are you going to work from the waterline up? Is he concerned with the woodwork, deck, rails, tower, engines? You've got your work cut out for you, I would assemble a team and offer an hourly salary to them for diligent work, then figure out what your time and products are worth each hour. Have fun with the project and don't underestimate the difficulty.

Kristopher1129
06-24-2011, 07:22 PM
That's a LOT of work. Like everyone else said...you're gonna need some people to do that job in a timely fashion.

I don't understand how he expects you to wax it while it's in the water. Also, I wouldn't really recommend using a wax. I would use a marine sealant.

If it were me, I typically charge $12 a foot for a boat exterior. But that boat would be by the hour. That's also for boats I can do on foot. This one, you're talking about ladders and a team being involved.

It's too big to give a set price. I wouldn't touch that job for less than $1500...I can tell you that. I would definitely want more than that though. It's gonna take more than one day to do it right.

If he's got the money for that boat...he's got the money to upkeep it too. See what he's willing to pay. It kinda stinks that he's your uncle...cause he's gonna want the family deal, ha.

VW 91
06-24-2011, 07:45 PM
I just gotta say, that is an awesome boat!

Perfections
06-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm a one man show and I can tell you I wouldn't do that job without atleast 2 others that knew what they were doing, polishing the sides is very hard to do while in the water. Since the boat probably doesnt get waxed that often id go with a one step cleaner/wax probably megs marine cleaner wax for its ease of use. Charge no less then 1500 if all your doing is polishing from the waterline up, gl that's a big job

Rei86
06-24-2011, 08:28 PM
But what bout the bottom part? I would think doing this while its still in the water is dangerous and "half A_ _ _ _" since you won't be able to do the whole boat.

Good luck man and I hope it works with a considerable payday.

609speed6
06-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the help this is what he wants me to do washing the boat and polish rails and tuna tower. He wants me to wax from the warter lines up I will be using my waverunner. The boat was just put in the water in March so the bottom should be good I am not getting into that lol. I will be cleaning out the engine room should not take that long its pretty clean right now. He is trying to sell it and get a bigger boat lol must be nice to have everything just got a lambo too that I need to work on. He is giving me $2000 to do the boat and said that his buddy wants me to do his 55 foot yikes this is crazy lol

clm65
06-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Wow that's a beautiful boat! I'm sure the bottom is painted with anti-fouling paint, so there really is nothing for you to do there from a polishing/waxing perspective. But I'm not really sure how you are going to do the entire hull (between the water and the rub rail) from your waverunner. The bow is pretty high on that boat. Standing on a relatively unstable platform and reaching those higher areas at the bow seems risky (i.e., unsafe). If you have access to a small boat with higher gunnels, it would certainly help. And make sure your power supply is GFCI-protected. Good luck!

RZ Autodetailing
06-25-2011, 08:51 AM
sounds like you need some help..where are you located?

609speed6
06-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm in Atlantic City NJ...I was just talking to a guy that has a 19 foot Carolina Skiff that I can use for $50 a day so I think that will work better...

JSR
06-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Nice boat! Best bet is to work it from the dock. Adjust the lines to bring it close and then see if they will turn it around to bring the other side in. The hull is high enough that you will be able to stand for most of it. When you lay on the dock keep the extension cord off of you in case your machine goes in the drink. Only go down to the waterline and stay away from the water. The spin of the pad and motor will create a mist if you get to close.
I would alternate sections between the hull and topside to avoid being in one position to long. It's a big boat and not going to be done in a day. Hopefully the fiberglass is in good condition and does not need to be compounded.