PDA

View Full Version : Help! OPC stained my leather!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

deS
06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I'm an absolute idiot for not having tested the product on an inconspicuous area first. Instead I got excited and sprayed the OPC @ 3:1 (a ratio recommended by a few AG members) all over the driver's seat, which resulted in this (btw that's not streaking, the stains appeared almost immediately upon application):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/0m3ga/leatherstain.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/0m3ga/leatherstain1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/0m3ga/leatherstain3.jpg

Are these stains irreversible? If so I won't be able to forgive myself, lol...

Dubbin1
06-24-2011, 05:20 PM
FYI I use it at 10:1 on anything but the tough stuff ;)

Not sure what to say about what happened, maybe CHris will step in and help out.

LegacyGT
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Could those spots just be really clean ... how much did you spray on?

I would still test in an conspicuous area with a little agitation and see what happens.

Edit: were you spraying the product directly on the leather, or spraying on a towel then cleaning?

Flannigan
06-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Thats what happens when you let APC or any cleaner drip down leather seats. You can try and clean the rest of the seat to see if you can make it match those spots, but I'm not sure it will work. Good luck.

deS
06-24-2011, 05:45 PM
well, I was able to get most of the spots out by using water with MF and a whole lot of elbow grease. t h a n k g o d for that. let this thread serve as a warning to all us newbs out there.

deS
06-24-2011, 05:48 PM
guess I made the mistake of spraying it directly on the seats eh? i'm not gonna try again to find out lol.

can anyone recommend a good leather cleaner that would work well with Optimum Leather Protectant?

DHCrocks
06-24-2011, 05:50 PM
it looks like those are the clean areas where solution cut thru all the grime. try cleaning it again with a soft brush to see if it more of it lightens up. maybe what happen was where the spray directly hit the leather is where it is very clean and lighter in shade.

embolism
06-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Your seats have perforations why are you spraying stuff on them?

Even when adding product like creams or lotions, put it on a MF towel and start on a non-perforated portion of the leather like the bolster or headrest until most of the product is in the towel so you don't risk putting product into the holes. Once the towel is primed, then you can go over the perforated sections.

see warning about this very thing happening in post #9 here

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37085-diluting-optimum-power-clean.html

qaz393
06-24-2011, 06:04 PM
ultima interior shampoo??

Rsurfer
06-24-2011, 06:04 PM
guess I made the mistake of spraying it directly on the seats eh? i'm not gonna try again to find out lol.

can anyone recommend a good leather cleaner that would work well with Optimum Leather Protectant?

OPC, now that you know how to use it.

embolism
06-24-2011, 06:08 PM

:D

don't get discouraged
take it from a fellow noob, you'll get the hang of it!

deS
06-24-2011, 06:24 PM

so 3:1 is fine and I should spray the towel instead of the leather directly?

also, if the stains were actually clean spots, how do you explain me being able to scrub them out with a MF?

Roger Koh
06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Are these stains irreversible? If so I won't be able to forgive myself, lol...

This are cause by "Alkaline Overexposure" with side effect as brightness that is the begining of deterioating the finish - that may reslt to tackiness when wet finger test with tap water.

Check the pH of your product - Leather neutral pH value is betwen 3 and 5.

Solution to the problem is to acidify it at pH 2 to neutralize the alkalinity.

Roger Koh
info@leatherdoctor.com

Kristopher1129
06-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Your seat just needs to be cleaned. Those are just spots from the cleaner penetrating the dirt. Get some magic sponges, and spray some of your cleaner on the sponge. Then just massage gently section by section. Do one section, then wipe it clean. So on and so forth. Never spray directly on to the seat.

Once the seat is clean, it should all even out. Then throw some conditioner on.

slickooz
06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Glad I read this before using it on mine or customer's car. Read so much review about how OPC>APC+, I thought OPC was real safe on leather. Now I have to just be more careful.