PDA

View Full Version : All purpose cleaners...cleaner/degreaser ?'s

Hoytman
06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I hope I've posted this in the correct location.

I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for quite awhile now. Over the past few weeks I've lived online searching/researching, over and over on various topics. Sometimes into the early morning hours. There's so much info on this site that it's down right staggering, and at times overwhelming. I've also noticed some fabulous people here helping to answer questions. That's great! I'm going to have many questions of my own I'm sure.

I notice the term APC is used here quite often, and I assume it means all purpose cleaner. Does this include cleaner/degreasers, or are the two different?

The reason I ask is; I recently picked up some Purple Power (purple label) in a 2.5 gallon jug for $10. I also have a few new bottles of Super Clean, both sold at wallyworld. Are these two cleaners too strong for use on the paint and only to be used on the engine, or neither?

I suppose I'm asking what APC's you like and what you use them for? I hope the two cleaners I bought can be used for something in detailing work.

Bill

Jhaight11
06-23-2011, 06:35 PM
i use OPC (optimum power clean) and i use ir for everything but carpet.
1:1 for engines, wheels/tires
3:1 for everything else
its clear coat safe and you can use it to strip LSP's

maximus20895
06-23-2011, 06:36 PM
For the engine and general cleaning sure, but for the paint most people like Optimum Power Clean.

The other APC is Meguiar's APC+. It can't be used on the paint unless it's diluted something like 64:1, but is more cost effecient.

kronos
06-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I notice the term APC is used here quite often, and I assume it means all purpose cleaner. Does this include cleaner/degreasers, or are the two different?

They can be similar and they can be different. For example, you can use Megs APC as a fabric cleaner or an engine degreaser. You can adjust the strength of the solution for the task at hand. There's also degreasers like Megs Super Degreaser which would not be recommended on fabric or paint, but can be used on engines. So the terms are sometimes used loosely or interchangeably. The best advice I can give you is to thoroughly read the manufacturers instructions and follow them. Doing otherwise could permanently damage whatever you're working on.

The reason I ask is; I recently picked up some Purple Power (purple label) in a 2.5 gallon jug for $10. I also have a few new bottles of Super Clean, both sold at wallyworld. Are these two cleaners too strong for use on the paint and only to be used on the engine, or neither?

I don't have experience with any of those two cleaners, but the same I wrote above remains the same. Follow the manufacturers directions. But to be on the safe side, test whatever mixture you make on an inconspicuous area first.

I suppose I'm asking what APC's you like and what you use them for? I hope the two cleaners I bought can be used for something in detailing work.

Bill

I use OPC for everything, I mean everything, but fabric (and I'm seriously tempted to try it on that too even though the manufacturer does not recommend it). I use Megs APC for fabric.

Jhaight11
06-23-2011, 07:38 PM
i used opc at 3:1 on my house carpet and it did an ok job. still prefer folex

Hoytman
06-23-2011, 07:45 PM
i use OPC (optimum power clean) and i use ir for everything but carpet.
1:1 for engines, wheels/tires
3:1 for everything else
its clear coat safe and you can use it to strip LSP's

i used opc at 3:1 on my house carpet and it did an ok job. still prefer folex

Forgive me. What is Folex, and LSP's?

Thanks for the input gang! :xyxthumbs: Keep it coming.

Anyone familiar with the two cleaners I mentioned? Of course, I'm not beyond buying products that I need.