PDA

View Full Version : Where does the notion come from that the Flex 3401 has a larger orbit than traditional DA's??

WRAPT C5Z06
06-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Flex 3401 = 8mm

Griot's Garage DA = 5/16"

8mm = 5/16"

So?

Mike Phillips
06-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Questions for anyone that has used both types of tools, that is the Flex 3401 is one type, (a forced rotation dual action polisher), and the other type is the Porter Cable 7424XP and any of the knock-offs of this tool, that is the Meguiar's G110v2, the Griot's Garage ROP, the Shurhold, and the similar version of the Griot's and Shurhold that is sold in the UK.

Here's the question...

Have you ever noticed when using the Flex 3401, if you don't hold the pad flat to the surface, that is if you hold the tool in a way where one side or edge of the buffing pad has more pressure than the rest of the pad, that the tool tries to walk in a particular direction?

Have you ever noticed this with one of the PC style tools?

Besides the fact that the Flex is direct drive, is there any other factor that could cause this walking characteristic?

And yes, the specs for these tools list the orbit range to be 8mm or 5/16"

:)

Mike Phillips
06-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Something else to think about...

I've been asked numerous times if a Flex 3401 could be used to machine sand, like dampsand, my answer is "no", it's too aggressive, it would likely act more like a grinder than a sander.

I've seen others that have machine sanding experience reply with similar answers.

So why can a PC style tool be safely used to machine sand while the Flex 3401 is not recommended for this purpose.

Just throwing that out there...

BobbyG
06-23-2011, 06:48 AM
My question is; why would anyone care?

dougaross
06-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Flex 3401 = 8mm

Griot's Garage DA = 5/16"

8mm = 5/16"

So?

Actually 5/16" = .3125 inches
and 8mm =.0.31496 inches

So actually the flex does have a larger orbit. But I'm not sure .00246" matters.

dougaross
06-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Have you ever noticed when using the Flex 3401, if you don't hold the pad flat to the surface, that is if you hold the tool in a way where one side or edge of the buffing pad has more pressure than the rest of the pad, that the tool tries to walk in a particular direction?

Besides the fact that the Flex is direct drive, is there any other factor that could cause this walking characteristic?

I believe the flex orbit are in the opposite direction to the rotation. It is possible that could contribute to this behaviour

IID
06-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Actually 5/16" = .3125 inches
and 8mm =.0.31496 inches

So actually the flex does have a larger orbit. But I'm not sure .00246" matters.

Especially when .0025" is smaller than the average size of human hair.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-23-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm NOT trying to start a debate. I would really like to understand this. Thanks for the responses. :props;

Perfections
06-23-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure about orbit, but on a surface with severe water spot etching, using the same type pad, compound, number of passes, speed 6, and trying my best to have the same arm speed and pressure the flex stomps the pc in defect removal, it does like to walk like a rotary but when I'm looking for speed I'll stick with the flex and when I'm looking for an easy day of defect removal I'll go with the pc :)

C. Charles Hahn
06-23-2011, 01:37 PM

I always chalked that behavior up to it being a forced-rotation tool, since a rotary buffer will do the exact same thing if the operator doesn't have it under control while using it at an angle other than 0 or 90 degrees to the surface.

The PC-style tools, when used at an angle, tend to stall and stop rotating as a consequence of the rotation not being forced.

As dougaross mentioned, the orbit and rotation of a Flex do seem to be in opposite directions... whether that contributes to "walking" or not, it's hard to say.

I've been asked numerous times if a Flex 3401 could be used to machine sand, like dampsand, my answer is "no", it's too aggressive, it would likely act more like a grinder than a sander.

I've seen others that have machine sanding experience reply with similar answers.

So why can a PC style tool be safely used to machine sand while the Flex 3401 is not recommended for this purpose.

Simple. While the PC style tool does "rotate," its rotation is much slower than the forced rotation of a Flex 3401. Faster rotation, as you said, makes the tool a grinder and not a polisher when coupled with a sanding disc.

As for the orbits and how they affect performance, I would refer you to the response(s) from Kevin Brown in this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/37443-wet-sanded-fully-but-still-some-orange-peel-2.html

Dubbin1
06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Questions for anyone that has used both types of tools, that is the Flex 3401 is one type, (a forced rotation dual action polisher), and the other type is the Porter Cable 7424XP and any of the knock-offs of this tool, that is the Meguiar's G110v2, the Griot's Garage ROP, the Shurhold, and the similar version of the Griot's and Shurhold that is sold in the UK.

Here's the question...

And yes, the specs for these tools list the orbit range to be 8mm or 5/16"

LOL pretty much all off topic except for where you agree about the orbit range :poke: