PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Backer and Pads?

Pages : [1] 2

PreCog
06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
I recently ordered a new 5" backer pad and a handful of LC pads. I was using Menzerna SIP today with an orange pad. After completing a panel I went to clean it with a nylon brush but noticed a divot in the middle of the pad. I removed it from the backer and noticed it was burnt. The velcro on the the backer was also crinkled and had a small burn. I decided to proceed with a gray pad and nano polish but stopped to take some photos after I noticed the gray pad was starting to do the same thing. Any ideas on what could cause this?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/130/imag0031suh.jpg/)

tuscarora dave
06-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Friction combined with the heat of the season. My guess would be that you're running full tilt with a DA polisher. Try bumping the speed back to 4.5 to 5 and see if that works for you.

Rei86
06-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Pics no worky, however I think Dave has solved your issue.

I hear if you own a GG6 and bump to a speed 6 you can ruin your Meguair's MF Disc real fast and same goes for the Velcro backing of LC pads.

PreCog
06-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Friction combined with the heat of the season. My guess would be that you're running full tilt with a DA polisher. Try bumping the speed back to 4.5 to 5 and see if that works for you.Thanks. It is a PC DA polisher and I was running at 6.

tuscarora dave
06-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks. It is a PC DA polisher and I was running at 6.
You're welcome. I have a bucket of these burned up pads that I cut into smaller pieces for applying UTTG with.

Funny as it seems, with all the fear surrounding burning paint with rotary polishers...the pads and backing plates don't get hot like they do on a DA.

PreCog
06-22-2011, 08:52 PM
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9397/imag0031suh.jpg

tuscarora dave
06-22-2011, 08:55 PM
LOL...Just one more reason that my DA gets no action.

tuscarora dave
06-22-2011, 08:58 PM
By the way...Love your avitar picture.

Flash Gordon
06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
By the way...Love your avitar picture.

:iagree: I was thinking how funny it looked to me, as if the two dogs were asking questions to each other....I'm tired, time for bed :dig:

Jimmie
06-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Something that used to happen to a few was friction would build heat from the backing plate rubbing against the PC body. They would have to put in the spacing washer. I got lucky with the clearance so never had to use the spacer.

SeaJay's
06-23-2011, 05:35 AM
I've burned through a couple pads when I was first starting out with my DA. Had to learn to turn the speed down some and let up on the pressure. Makes correcting a little longer but saves your pads.

PreCog
06-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I was doing some more work on the truck this morning. The outside temp was in the low 70's and I was using menzerna nano with a gray pad. I had my speed set to 4 with very light pressure being applied the the pad. After completing a panel I removed the pad to check on whether it was melting or not and when I removed it steam came off of the pad and backer. I say steam but I guess it was actually smoke from them burning.

When you say a spacer are you referring to a spacer being applied between over the threads of the backer plate so it stands off of the head just a bit? If so I already have a plastic washer on there for that purpose.

I noticed a ring around the inside of the metal housing on the PC. It looks like the counterweight is riding along the metal housing and wearing into it. If this is the case I could see where an excess build up of heat would be created and transfer down to the pad.

5.4 Shelby
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
I was doing some more work on the truck this morning. The outside temp was in the low 70's and I was using menzerna nano with a gray pad. I had my speed set to 4 with very light pressure being applied the the pad. After completing a panel I removed the pad to check on whether it was melting or not and when I removed it steam came off of the pad and backer. I say steam but I guess it was actually smoke from them burning.

When you say a spacer are you referring to a spacer being applied between over the threads of the backer plate so it stands off of the head just a bit? If so I already have a plastic washer on there for that purpose.

I noticed a ring around the inside of the metal housing on the PC. It looks like the counterweight is riding along the metal housing and wearing into it. If this is the case I could see where an excess build up of heat would be created and transfer down to the pad.
That doesnt sound right. Sounds like that may be why you are toasting pads. That counterweight should not be touching the side.

5.4 Shelby
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Do you have a pic of the polisher and CW? Is it new?

PreCog
06-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Do you have a pic of the polisher and CW? Is it new?
Yes it is new. After looking at it more closely its not the CW leaving that mark. It is actually the bearing throwing out some grease.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4954/imag0043i.jpg