PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Larger Vehicles

shadowstep
06-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering how you guys approach washing and waxing the roofs of SUV's and Vans? I am a short guy (5'5") and have yet to touch larger vehicles. So I was just curious if you guys can give me on tips on how to approach the roofs.

Flannigan
06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I use a ladder, or if it's a pick up truck I will climb in the bed to get to the roof. But usually I still need a ladder to get all of it done.

tuscarora dave
06-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I use a ladder, or if it's a pick up truck I will climb in the bed to get to the roof. But usually I still need a ladder to get all of it done.
Same here. If you can find an older ladder at a yard sale or flea market get it because most of the newer ladders are rather flimsy.

I use a 4 foot ladder but have a 16 foot articulating ladder with a clamp on support bar for really large vehicles.

shadowstep
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Do you guys add or attach rubber/cloth around the areas that touch the vehicles?

POPPAJ
06-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Ladder or scaffolding for sure. Also use a polisher/pad combo that you can use with one hand.

AeroCleanse
06-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Ladder for sure

tuscarora dave
06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Do you guys add or attach rubber/cloth around the areas that touch the vehicles?
The ladder never touches the vehicle, I make sure of that.

However...I have worked on a few wheelchair access buses that I had no choice but to tape floor mats over the front of the hood where my articulating ladder did contact the bus in order to buff the front of the box that extends over the cab.

These were grungy buses that are never cared for though. I'd never do this with a vehicle that is cared about.

pfix
06-22-2011, 07:29 PM
For washing I found a Turtle Wax telescoping wash pole with a pivoting head and MF bonnet at Big Lots. They also had Megs Sheepskin bonnets that fit it perfectly. The whole deal set me back around 12 dollars. It works great on the roof and topper of my pickup.

shadowstep
06-22-2011, 07:42 PM
For washing I found a Turtle Wax telescoping wash pole with a pivoting head and MF bonnet at Big Lots. They also had Megs Sheepskin bonnets that fit it perfectly. The whole deal set me back around 12 dollars. It works great on the roof and topper of my pickup.

Where are those generally sold?

loudog2
06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
opti-coat the roof so you only have to worry about it once more.

pfix
06-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Where are those generally sold?

The only place I have seen them was a local Big Lots discount store here in St Louis. I don't know if Big lots is nation wide or if you have them in your area.

I was a great find though for the money.