PDA

View Full Version : Auto Products on Polished Granite Counter-Top

Old Man
06-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Anyone here use auto products on polished granite? I tried FK425 and seemed to work nicely,(if only temporary). Any thoughts on using Collinite 845 or 476S?

Thanks.

JCturboT
06-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I used FK1000P on my granite and it worked not better (or worse) the the granite sealer I typically used.
I say if you have some wax/sealant in your possesion save you money and used that instead.
As always, first run a test area before first using.

Jeff

next gen detail
06-23-2011, 11:49 PM
my father in law owns a granite counter top business and i have to check with him but i think unless its sealed u cant wax it. it can fall into the pores of the stone and stay.

he has some special polishing pads to polish them. they look crazy and cost a lot of money ill get some pictures to show you and some more info from him.... in the mean time i wouldnt try anything just to be safe ill get back to you asap

andym
06-24-2011, 03:36 PM
I dont know if i would use auto products on my counter top. Some contain ca causing chemicals. I would assume the stuff for countertops is a tad safer, since you would be placing food there.:props:

qaz393
06-24-2011, 05:22 PM
opti-coat 2.0?

Old Man
06-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Food Safe! Good point. I should've thought of that.

I'll have to look at my granite sealing stuff and compare the chemicals.

Gentlemen,thanks for the input.

cutter
06-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Funny this thread is running now...Just last night my wife asked me if one of my DA's would work on the countertops. I too mentioned the Food Grade vs. Automotive Grade something she hadn't thought of.

Anyone with tips on this?

Just sitting here thinking (that's dangerous), maybe some cheap toothpaste like what you can buy at the Dollar Tree 2/$1.00 and a white pad or something along that line? What do y'all think?

CrownKote
06-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Enhances the vibrant colors of your rock
Protects your granite from environmental hazards
Carnauba wax and emollients restore dull or damaged granite surfaces
Quick and easy to use

I found this on a website there is no "food safe" property's to them they are basically the same thing if you have sealed granite... I would say go for it!

farrahowens88
03-06-2013, 01:56 AM
My fabricator told me not to use car wax because it will not shine like it is supposed to and it is not made to protect your granite like a granite wax. Just make sure you read and follow the instructions on the granite wax you purchase. As it may have different instructions and a warning label. Here are the products you will need to wax your granite countertop: How To seal Your Granite Countertop Properly (http://www.myinstalledcountertops.com/seal-your-granite.html).

addysdaddy
03-06-2013, 10:07 AM
thanks for the link

PiPUK
03-06-2013, 05:18 PM
You need to be careful because one generally will have no idea what is actually in their car care products. Silicones etc. are common place and I really wouldn't want to get these on my marble. Something people often forget is that hydrophobic often goes hand in hand with lipophillic - they actually attract oily soils! Worse still, once you have such things on there and get it into the pores (silicones are used specifically for their ability to spread into all areas), you will have a real nightmare removing them!

If I were you, I would be sticking to dedicated products and if you really must try automotive, a glass specific 'nano' type sealant will probably work well. Do note this specificity because it is important, if your product is not specific, it is hard to be confident of the chemistry going on so you increase the risk that it might not work.