PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Detail Brushes

J504
06-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Here is the brush I used Mothers Detail Brush Set cleans crevices and creases inside your car. Mother Detail Brush Set includes 2 small brushes. (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-detail-brush-set.html)

When I first received it, they felt like they could definately cause marring on paint. They didnt feel soft at all. I used these to clean around emblems and they did a good job. Didn't notice any marring from them. I actually tested them on a cd and couldnt get it to scratch unless it was a lot of pressure and even then i could barely see it. I also used it with OPC and Zep Citrus to clean the clay bar after every section and worked great.

Here is the bad thing. After I rinsed/clean it and let it dry for a day or 2, I went to store the brush somewhere safe and noticed the the bristles of the brush were "sticky" as if residue was on it. I tried to wash it again, but it still stayed "sticky". I doubt OPC or Zep is degrading the bristles. Anyone else ever experienced this? The set comes with 2 brushes and I'm afraid to use my second one incase it does the same thing. I've read that Mother's has great products so I wasn't expecting something like this to happen after the first use.

Rsurfer
06-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Here is the brush I used Mothers Detail Brush Set cleans crevices and creases inside your car. Mother Detail Brush Set includes 2 small brushes. (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-detail-brush-set.html)

When I first received it, they felt like they could definately cause marring on paint. They didnt feel soft at all. I used these to clean around emblems and they did a good job. Didn't notice any marring from them. I actually tested them on a cd and couldnt get it to scratch unless it was a lot of pressure and even then i could barely see it. I also used it with OPC and Zep Citrus to clean the clay bar after every section and worked great.

Here is the bad thing. After I rinsed/clean it and let it dry for a day or 2, I went to store the brush somewhere safe and noticed the the bristles of the brush were "sticky" as if residue was on it. I tried to wash it again, but it still stayed "sticky". I doubt OPC or Zep is degrading the bristles. Anyone else ever experienced this? The set comes with 2 brushes and I'm afraid to use my second one incase it does the same thing. I've read that Mother's has great products so I wasn't expecting something like this to happen after the first use.

Could it be that the OPC and Zep soften the clay just enough to stick to the bristles of the brush and thus feels sticky? Only logical answer I can give you, as I doubt if Mother's is making a brush with sticky bristles.

Dr Oldz
06-22-2011, 01:41 AM
I have to agree with Rsurfer... I use a lot of those brushes without any issues.

James K
06-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Something is stuck on the bristles. I use these with APC and Zep Citrus for emblems and interior all the time. No issues.

CrownKote
06-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Could it be that the OPC and Zep soften the clay just enough to stick to the bristles of the brush and thus feels sticky? Only logical answer I can give you, as I doubt if Mother's is making a brush with sticky bristles.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the clay.... I use tooth brushes to clean my clay and they get kinda sticky...

forrest@mothers
06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
We don't recommend cleaning clay with a brush - kneading is adequate unless the clay has been dropped - and if that happens, the clay should be replaced.

It sounds like clay is in the flagged bristle ends. Throw the brush away.

J504
06-23-2011, 11:34 PM
The clay bar wasnt dropped I just wanted to try the technique that david fermani showed in this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/37331-how-make-your-favorite-clay-last-alot-longer.html

Also, the entire bristles of the brush (all the way to the attachment point) turned darker also which is odd. I'll just stick to APC/car soap with the other brush. Thanks for the replies. :xyxthumbs: