PDA

View Full Version : what do you smokers do?

David@WCD
06-21-2011, 05:30 PM
being a smoker and always having a job where if i wanted to light one up i could, what do you guys do when youre on a job. i personally am telling myself that i wont smoke while im with a customers car, obviously not near their car, but not even by my car. its just not professional IMO. what do you guys do? just curious

Garry Dean
06-21-2011, 05:32 PM
You should quit.

richy
06-21-2011, 05:38 PM
I am off Cigars for the moment. I supposedly gave them up but fell off the wagon on Father's day, LOL. I loved smoking a stogie while polishing out paint. However, once the weather got too hot and I closed up my garage and put the A/C on, I would not smoke in there as there was no way for it to vent out well. So, if you have good ventilation and the windows of the car are closed, who cares? If you're going to be doing inside the car within the next few hours, I would hold off. Just my opinion.

ChineseGuy
06-21-2011, 05:39 PM
being a smoker and always having a job where if i wanted to light one up i could, what do you guys do when youre on a job. i personally am telling myself that i wont smoke while im with a customers car, obviously not near their car, but not even by my car. its just not professional IMO. what do you guys do? just curious

I smoke with the customers LOL.

David@WCD
06-21-2011, 05:42 PM
yea i know i should quit, i did for a month, but had a bad day at my FT job so that ended quickly. i think its obviously different if the customers themselves smoke, but how am i gonna know unless they light one up.

I loved smoking a stogie while polishing out paint. However, once the weather got too hot and I closed up my garage and put the A/C on, I would not smoke in there as there was no way for it to vent out well. So, if you have good ventilation and the windows of the car are closed, who cares? If you're going to be doing inside the car within the next few hours, I would hold off. Just my opinion.
thanks for the input

Flash Gordon
06-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Wait, are you asking if its ok to smoke in a customers car, or is it ok to smoke if your doing a job at their house?

I'm confused agian :help:

rfinkle2
06-21-2011, 06:29 PM
I quit smoking using swedish snus.

It was the second and easier of the times I quit.
Supposedly, Swedish snus has a fraction of the nitrosamines that American tobacco has, and has to pass the equivalent of their fda.

If you get the chance google it.

CrownKote
06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
I am a smoker... If I have a customer at the shop waiting on the car I will not smoke period if the customer is gone I smoke outside in the back of the shop... Simple as that... I don't go to customer's homes but if I did I would make sure not to smoke while there and make sure you don't smell like smoke when you get to the door... I have found that tends to piss people off... and is unprofessional...

Superdutytd
06-21-2011, 07:55 PM
If you do smoke i wouldn't smoke anywhere close. As a non-smoker I am really sensitive to the smell and it lingers for a long time.

Meghan
06-21-2011, 08:02 PM
If you do smoke i wouldn't smoke anywhere close. As a non-smoker I am really sensitive to the smell and it lingers for a long time.

:iagree: When you are a non smoker you can smell the slightest hint of smell.

timaishu
06-21-2011, 08:40 PM
From a non smokers point of view.

If I called you up to detail my car. I would be annoyed if you smoked while doing a detail at my house. And be noted that you wouldnt be allowed to do the inside of my car period because Ive had passengers smoke and then get inside my vehicle after they are done and I have noticed the smell will linger for a little bit. It doesnt stay permantent, but it bothers me very much.

Especially since I would be pay you to clean my car, not make the inside smell.

Not trying to sound harsh if it came off that way. My ex gf smoked and it didnt bother me as long as she did it when I wasnt around and didnt get in my car after the fact.

vet
06-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't smoke in any body's car or house. If I'm at my place, I smoke if I want to. I understand people with allergies/sensitivity and try to accomodate accordingly. I think this anti-smoking thing has gone way overboard.

Yes, we should all quit! No, I wouldn't encourage anyone to to start. A little consideration, common sense and coutesy on both sides would go a lot further than regulations and taxes.

It's only a matter of time after smoking is eliminated, that something all you anti-smokers like to do will be in the cross hairs of holier-than-thou people. Never forget the tax money from tobacco will have to be replaced by a tax on some other "vice".

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

vet
06-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Didn't mean to get off on a tangent.
If I went overboard, I hope a moderator will delete my post.

Crazy Amos
06-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Try the snus, it helps. Plus it takes " time" to smoke and theres always te chance of dropping ashes when working and smoking. Instead, just pop in a Snus and it will curb the craving and you can keep working.

David@WCD
06-21-2011, 09:27 PM
i was gonna do a multi quote for this reply but it seems like everyone is in a general consensus. i would never smoke in a customers car, period. i dont have a shop so having a car when the customer is not around isnt gonna happen. i didnt really think about the smell lingering on clothes, becuase i dont smell it. makes sense though. i know its there. im just saying that i cant smell it since im used to the smell. i kinda had a inclination that thats what the responses would be, but like i said, i was just curious. btw i have my first customer tomorrow. detailing an 03 porsche 996 for a buddy