PDA

View Full Version : Wool pads from Makita 9227 kit - good or pad?

Gurge
06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
I recently picked up a makita polisher and it comes with the carry bag and 2 wool pads (1 for polishing - 1 for compounding)

Are these pads any good? or should I stay away and buy higher quality wool? I don't have any other wool pads (yet). I was thinking of testing on a friends old gelcoat this weekend

mbkite
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
bad

93fox
06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
The wool pad is good IMO. The other polishing one i never used since foam pads are better. But try getting 6inch wool pads. Alot better to control.

D_Nyholm
06-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I used the wool pads to polish a boat :) Worked great for that!

Gurge
06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
this was gonna be to polish a friends boat. at least initially. it seems like an ok pad. but i know the pad that comes with the PC is crap. so I was worried this may be the same type of deal

i'm thinking maybe they are good enough for an old fishing boat but not so much for a car you care about ?

embolism
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
good pun in the title whether you meant to or not :)

D_Nyholm
06-22-2011, 09:59 AM
this was gonna be to polish a friends boat. at least initially. it seems like an ok pad. but i know the pad that comes with the PC is crap. so I was worried this may be the same type of deal

i'm thinking maybe they are good enough for an old fishing boat but not so much for a car you care about ?

That is exactly right. I don't remember which one i used, but I do not think it was the more aggressive one and the boat came out great (1978 hull that was super milky and probably never polished or waxed). The neighbor came over and asked why we painted such an old boat it looked so good! :)

Gurge
06-22-2011, 03:39 PM
good or 'pad'. totally didn't catch that myself. pretty funny

alright so maybe i'll at least be able to do the boat with it. if i need wool on clearcoat i'll invest in something better. thanks...