PDA

View Full Version : Some People

Pages : [1] 2

mattsford321
06-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Hello everyone my name is Matt. I've been detailing professionally now for over 2 years and I was wondering why is it that there are some people that REALLY never appreciate the work you put into their car. For example, today I detailed a Toyota Tacoma which was riddled in key scratches and other imperfections. When I initially met the lady I told her my base package price and that to remove the scratches would take additional work= higher price. Well after I spent 5 hours wet sanding, buffing, polishing, waxing, and cleaning her truck she was awestruck at the price because it was not what I originally told her my detail package w/ wax would cost.

Anyone else know what this is about?

CleanGene
06-20-2011, 09:48 PM
It's sad to say, but a lot of people are looking for something for nothing these days. As long as you're holding up your end of the bargain than your mind should be at ease. Some people cannot be pleased no mater what you do.

Flash Gordon
06-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Hello everyone my name is Matt. I've been detailing professionally now for over 2 years and I was wondering why is it that there are some people that REALLY never appreciate the work you put into their car. For example, today I detailed a Toyota Tacoma which was riddled in key scratches and other imperfections. When I initially met the lady I told her my base package price and that to remove the scratches would take additional work= higher price. Well after I spent 5 hours wet sanding, buffing, polishing, waxing, and cleaning her truck she was awestruck at the price because it was not what I originally told her my detail package w/ wax would cost.

Anyone else know what this is about?

Sounds like poor communications

Dubbin1
06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Most people see there cars only as a source of transportation and simply don't give a crap what it looks like.

I would question what a 5hr wet sand, buffing and waxing job on a truck would look like though ;)

mattsford321
06-20-2011, 09:57 PM
the wet sand was only one key scratch on one of the passenger doors

Flash Gordon
06-20-2011, 09:58 PM
the wet sand was only one key scratch on one of the passenger doors

How much did you initially quote her and how much did you end up charging?

mattsford321
06-20-2011, 10:01 PM
My prices are stupid low just trying to build a clientele still but I normally charge $50 for the detail which is no polishing or waxing and all together I charged her $100 and she had the look in her eyes of "I'm never calling this guy again."

Flash Gordon
06-20-2011, 10:07 PM
My prices are stupid low just trying to build a clientele still but I normally charge $50 for the detail which is no polishing or waxing and all together I charged her $100 and she had the look in her eyes of "I'm never calling this guy again."

If she never calls again, consider it a blessing

Having said that, your price did double over just the one scratch. I can see why she was confused to a degree

Tommorows another day

Black Car
06-20-2011, 10:32 PM
$100 is a good deal but she may not know that. Let them know next time what has to be done and that should justify the cost. Keep that communication loud and clear too.

Midnight1700
06-20-2011, 10:46 PM
I have a Subaru Forester coming in to the shop next week with brush scratches all up and down both sides. Not too deep, just very noticeable on the dark paint. I'm charging them $225.00 just for the scratches and another $100.00 to finish off the entire outside of the car. This will of course include polishing all the paint, clean and dress tires/wheels, all plastics and so on. I expect to do only a 2-step process for most of it, and maybe 3-step on a few small areas. If you're charging only $100.00, you are not only cheating yourself, but your client shouldn't have any complaints worth noting. If you feel your time is with the money, then stick with it. If your client were to have the panel repainted, it would easily cost 3 to 4 times what you charged them. You're time is valuable and you need to be compensated for your expertise in correcting paint. Don't feel like you've done anything wrong, the word of your quality work will get around and people will come. Good Luck!!!

joenok
06-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Most people that contact me, are after a slightly fresher look, they donīt care about flawless finish and other good things.
Iīve introduced a package of interior, clay, paint cleaner polish and lsp that i do 100% by hand. -and by now thatīs what most people want.

I tell all my customers that this is the cheapest, most simple way to do things, and that swirls and scratches are not eliminated by this, but seems most people are happy with that.

But hey, if thatīs what people want, they get it. I charge a little less, use less time, so Iīm okay with it.

I like better to bring up standards permanently, but these gigs are all right.

Mobile detail
06-21-2011, 12:44 AM
You don't have the customer sign an estimate before hand?

Mobile detail
06-21-2011, 12:47 AM
By the way $100 is a steal. Don't sell your self short even if you trying to buildup your client base

HeavyMetal
06-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Make sure you CLEARLY communicate the extra cost estimate when you are charging above your base rate. DO NOT simply say that taking out scratches or polishing swirls will be extra. Quote the customer an estimate clearly noting your base rate and extra charges. Something like: Base wash and wax - $50.00. Sanding and polishing scratches - $30.00. Polish rest of car to blend finish - $20.00. Total Estimate - $100.00.

Black Car
06-21-2011, 07:15 AM
a big +1 on that